low carb diet weight gain!

bikerbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, I have been on a low carb diet for a week now, and have gained two pounds in weight! Is this normal? My levels are steadily dropping from 10 first thing, and 8/9 during the day, to this morning, 7.8 before breakfast, and during the yesterday to 6.4.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me personally I did gain weight on lchf but having said that I think most of the members lost weight. It also depends on if you lost weight when you were undiagnosed like I lost about 5 kilos and gained all that back. Lastly calories - are you calories counting, are you eating more than what you are burning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you describe what you are eating?

I ask because just about every one of us has a different idea of low carb, and what does and does not work.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OP - I've gone down around 5 clothes sizes since I've been on low carbs but for the past month have lost nothing at all. even though I've been good. I'm not sure if this is a permanent standstill or just a temporary plateau. I find it interesting how the carbs affect different people in different ways. I'm trying to have less than 50g of carb a day, no processed food, all meals cooked from scratch. How many carbs are you having a day/per meal?

bikerbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am keeping carbs down to below 40 at the moment. I have no problem working out carbs as I was I catering for over 30 years and am keeping clear of bread, rice, pasta, most root vegetables, and other hidden carbs. I have been type 2 for 12 years, and have just decided to behave!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bikerbrian I think maybe you'll just have to be a little patient to start with - a week and 2lbs is neither here nor there. :D You'll generally start losing a fair bit of water before you start getting rid of the fat, and your weight may go up and down for a while. When I first started I would weigh myself daily and began to see mine going up and down by as much as 5lbs, and the time of day i weighed myself could also make a difference. However this did settle to be a regular loss and the pounds then started to fall off.

Too many calories can matter, (in spite of sometimes being told you can eat as much as you like on a low carb diet!), as can the relative proportions of carbs, protein, and fat you eat.

Robbity

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brian,
I started on the LCHF diet in Jan and have lost a few pounds each week which I am really estactic about, but so I don't become obsessed with it all, I weigh myself once a week, on the same day at the same time (ish). That way I feel i get a truer idea of how much I am losing. Good luck :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are on that level of carbs, is there a possibility you are constipated?

It's a delicate topic, but quite a likely one when ppl change their diets. And it's surprising how 'weighty' it can be...
How are you spending your carbs? Masses of fresh fibrous veg will do the trick, or psyllium husks, and/or masses of water.

Congrats on the improved blood glucose, by the way!

bikerbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Brunneria, thankfully no probs there! I am drinking lots of water and loads of fribrous veg as well. Just got to be more patient, at least one thing seems to be working OK

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, I have been on a low carb diet for a week now, and have gained two pounds in weight! Is this normal? My levels are steadily dropping from 10 first thing, and 8/9 during the day, to this morning, 7.8 before breakfast, and during the yesterday to 6.4.
When I tried it I went a bit daft with the high fat concept. I mean all that cheese, was sooo lovely. What an idiot I was. I got through a couple of pounds of the stuff just as a snack between the bowls of almonds, so far too many calories in. Doh!

Vivienne_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Very interested in your diet and wrote the books down hopefully it will help me as well. I am determined not to go on any meds, I managed to get down from 13.8 st to 11 last year, but over Christmas it went back up to 12.8 and always told I am over weight. Now I have my review next week and dreading it. Have been testing my self before meal and afterwards. Over the average 90 days it was about 7.3 not sure if that is good or bad, no doubt the nurse will tell me. lol