type 1 and in the army!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
All the feed back.I'm getting is positive which is good. Let's just see. Watch this space, it will take a year or so if it not good news.
At least you know it's more than a possibility you will be discharged, thus you can make plans for your future. With all the skills under the sun in the British army can you be asked to be retrained for something in civy street as part of your discharge? (no idea how things work)

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I served 23 years. I had a friend who was diagnosed type 1 after 16 years service. He was a front line soldier at the time. He applied to return to depot as an intake senior NCO. Not only did he excel, after 3 years, he was promoted. He finished his 22 years.

Reactions: 5 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea the system is a little slower now, I'm in the regs and at my 14.6 year point. I've just been put on medically non deployable (temporary) for three months with a review. Which will turn (permanent) then. I've just heard horror story's of people losing pensions but I've also heard people getting good payout so I'm look after people advice and leads.

Cheers psuttle (Sir) lol
well it depends on what you do in the army. if your in the stores,office cant see any problems. i was a drummer in the TA i didnt tell them,but i felt gilty after messing up a couple of times. then i informed them sadly it was by-by time.

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Not UK but my mate was in the core when he had a epileptic attack, unfortunately that cut his service short (he was discharged within the month).

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Where I work there are a number of military staff who have been working in the offices for at least 10 years - they just go from staff job to staff job.

Reactions: 3 people

leedoak

I know it's jack on the lads who have to deploy, but on a selfish note I've done my tours and gave 14 years, so I'm due some home time lol can't believe the first time I go sick and it's this. But such is life.

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's jack on the lads who have to deploy, but on a selfish note I've done my tours and gave 14 years, so I'm due some home time lol can't believe the first time I go sick and it's this. But such is life.
When my dad was diagnosed the army did say he could leave but he told them he wanted to stay as there was plenty of other jobs he could do that wasn't putting him or others at risk! And he even ended up doing tours of NI when the trouble was happening. My point is if you want to stay in then you have to tell them and hopefully they will agree after all there are lots of jobs in civvy street that type 1,s do every day :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the feed back.I'm getting is positive

hi i served 16 years when i became type 1 i was put in post room hated it. I took redundancy after three years .Please ....as soon as you leave the army write a short letter to the royal British lego just give your name rank and number and say you intend to apply for a war pension and request their help. If you became diabetic in army you can claim for it.if you word it right which I can help you with. I didnt claim for 7 years after leaving and lost a fortune . So if i can help . I'm in thirsk north yorkshire if you would like to get in touch id be glad to help if I can .been out now 18 years ....sam

colin5678

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI. I was diagnosed Type 1 in 1994(aged38) while serving in the Royal Navy Submarine service. Was not allowed on a submarine and given a desk job before I was medically discharged a few months later. Medical pension paid on discharge which because your condition may deteriorate over the years, you can ask for a review as many times as you need. Strongly advise you to contact the RBL as they are a great help.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello mate was that though the armed forces compensation claim?
No it was called war pension at the time now called afcs .but you can claim you say army caused your diabeties they have to prove it didnt .I now get weekly pension .contact British legion they will tell you what to do .I had done quite a few jobs after leaving for various reasons had to stop working due to nueropathy and other complications of diabeties.

Dislikes
Moaning people who complain they feel tired and ill but do nothing to help themselves.
Hi, go to the Education Centre on camp and have a look at the QR's, you will find policies on this subject. QR's are, as you will know, always current.

cavs

I am now a civvy but served 8.5yrs in the Army as a driver. 4.5yrs of that as a Type 1 Diabetic.
Diagnosed in 2000.
I eventually left in 2004 after feeling restricted by the army's mentality to a point where I felt like I had more options outside the forces.

They will not give you an MD unless you are completely useless to them or classed as disabled.

It took a good 6 months for the Medical Board to decide what I could and couldn't do.

I eventually was given a grading of P3 CPND Geo (Career non-deployable posting geographical). Basically short deployment in areas where there is established medical facilities.

It depends on what you are after our of the job-if you are happy behind a desk you will be fine but that wasn't for me. ;)

mikej3252

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in the army and just found out I've got type 1 diabetes, so what! type 1 I can get my head around and deal with. Has anyone serving or passed serving within the British army had to deal with medical discharged or retention. I'm married with children and the possibility of discharge is pretty scary. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I was diagnosed in 1983 while serving in the RAF. I had certain restrictions placed on me, Such as carrying weapons, and reduced chance of promotion. But I was able to complete my 12 years service. I also had to make regular trips to the military hospital at the then RAF Wroughton (which i believe has now been closed), for my clinics.

Joanna87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the army and just found out I've got type 1 diabetes, so what! type 1 I can get my head around and deal with. Has anyone serving or passed serving within the British army had to deal with medical discharged or retention. I'm married with children and the possibility of discharge is pretty scary. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Lee
I was diagnosed T1 5yrs ago and still serving!
I am downgraded to MLD, but that only (if ever) affects my deployability to certain places, occupational health decides on that. It's all about how tight/good your control is.

There was a guy who is T1 that was discharged last year because his blood sugars were all over the place. But, there is also an RLC officer who has been T1 for years but is MFD because of how well his control is!
Basically it is all about how well you control your blood sugars, it took me a good year to learn that.
If you need any advice/info feel free to MSG me.

leedoak

Lee
I was diagnosed T1 5yrs ago and still serving!
I am downgraded to MLD, but that only (if ever) affects my deployability to certain places, occupational health decides on that. It's all about how tight/good your control is.

There was a guy who is T1 that was discharged last year because his blood sugars were all over the place. But, there is also an RLC officer who has been T1 for years but is MFD because of how well his control is!
Basically it is all about how well you control your blood sugars, it took me a good year to learn that.
If you need any advice/info feel free to MSG me.
Thank you, I keep get AFCS pushed down my throat, did you do thus?