Metformin SR and Nausea ... How Long?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just remembered that you said SR gave you a gastric problem. How do you deal with it. You can't continue taking other medication
I had only started taking the metformin mainly because it is meant to have other benefits, plus my fasting BG has always been higher than I'd prefer to be. But when the bleeding gastritis was diagnosed by endoscopy, I stopped taking it. My BG is generally in control thanks to diet and exercise, so I continue to stay diabetes meds free - which is the way I prefer it. I'm on a quest to stay that way for as long as humanly possible because the side effects for most diabetes drugs far outweigh the benefits as far as I can tell. I also had my digestion screwed by long term PPI use, so the less drugs I have to take, the happier I am.

How long were you on metformin before these deficiencies were picked up?

I'd strongly suggest you try a gluten free diet. According to Dr Alessio Fasano, one of the world's foremost experts on coeliac disease, no human can digest gluten and every time we eat it, it causes a degree of intestinal permeability. So, if you have compromised digestion, you are continually assaulting your gut and never healing by continuing to eat the stuff. The fact that you are allergic to so many foods is a huge red flag that you have intestinal permeability.

Topaz9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's so strange during this conversation I decided to try not to take Metformin and try and eat some animal products but in my case with allergy tablets and aspirin and see what happens. I hope it works but it means testing my blood sugar level

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
but it means testing my blood sugar level

That's not a choice .... it's part of your (and my) life. Look at it like this. The greater the success with the figures, the more driven you become

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BG testing is definitely the best way to find out how different foods affect your levels. This bloke explains it better than I ever could:

What were the results of your last A1c?

Topaz9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to fast until my blood sugar level goes down then start testing different foods. This morning I checked my sugar level it was 7.3 then I had a cup tea and checked it again after 2 hours and it had gone up to 8.0 I don't take sugar it's sweeteners. This told me something. This is going to be my procedure. I'm watching the video

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are two wild cards in your scenario above :
1) Meter accuracy . It's not an exact measurement, and there can be variations between a reading taken within minutes from different fingers. A rise from 7.3 to 8.0 is not indicative of a spike from anything you have eaten or drunk.

2) Have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon ? This is a rise in blood glucose due to the liver releasing glucose as preparation for the day to come. So morning fasting levels cn be high independantly of anything you eat or drink. I don't think this is the case in your readings today though, as the rise is so very small.

Signy

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm going to fast until my blood sugar level goes down then start testing different foods. This morning I checked my sugar level it was 7.3 then I had a cup tea and checked it again after 2 hours and it had gone up to 8.0 I don't take sugar it's sweeteners. This told me something. This is going to be my procedure. I'm watching the video
Tread your own path. Bye.

Topaz9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the unthinkable might have happened. I didn't take Metformin this morning. At lunch time I had a sausage, rasher of bacon, a fried egg and waited to see what happens, I have had no adverse reaction, no pain but it's still very early stages.