Breakfast cereals

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
graham64 said:
This link courtsey of Trinwasser gives good info about wheat products.
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2009/ ... sited.html

That is an interesting link Graham and hard to argue against. I know a couple of people who are wheat intolerant and both are fit and slim.

I will now see Ian Botham in a new light as I watch him promote Shreaded Wheat as being 100% wheat so it's good for your heart :shock:

Although I personally have cut down on the amounts of wheat products I consume, I am still eating more than is probably healthy for me, a small bowl of cereal for breakfast and a two slice wholemeal sandwich for lunch so that means that 2 out of the 3 meals I eat a day are primarily wheat!!!
I may have to rethink this, unfortunately I do enjoy both :cry:

B

bolders

Plenty of us also have to consider the financial cost. When your on a tight budget cereals are sometimes the only practical way to eat breakfast without breaking the bank.

grum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
Ah Breakfast! Just opened email from Diabetics.com and read some of the comments.
I agree with James' comments no one should be made to feel guilty, lazy etc about whether they have breakfast or not (though we are told that it is the most important meal of the day) During the years at school my day started woken by Mum with a cuppa, fed a good hearty fry up every day by Dad, before catching transport to school, then ate school lunch (sometimes good) and a light tea when I got home. As I neared 15yrs of age I started getting up later (tho' still had early cuppa) by the time I hit the kitchen it was too late to eat breakfast and my last words to Dad were "don't tell Mum I didn't eat anything" (cos she would worry).
Inbetween those days and these I have eaten/not eaten breakfast for many reasons. Following a mishap keeping me home for some weeks I got back into the habit of breakfast, so I eat now before work (cereal, say porridge with cinnamon on or some oaty type never putting sugar on any of them only bit of fresh fruit), some days it's a struggle to force it down, why do I eat it because I don't wish to swallow Metformin on an empty stomach and/or feel not good during the morning. I too look forward to the odd cooked breakfast. We all know breakfast is important but it really does help if you actually feel like eating it! If not may be a bit of fruit later in the morning or toast.
The diabetic sessions I attended were informative the one everyone was waiting for was Diet!! we were told right from the start, this is not about you dieting this is about eating healthily we are here to help you understand the foods you eat and what they are made up of, (help recognise good sugar and bad).
If I am naughty I correct it asa non of us are saints (leastways I'm not) I have examined food packs in shops (cereal yoghurt and like)spending more time doing that than getting food) and usually give up with most of them when I see the sugar content , so the motto is if possible ,stick to the simpler foods that you can add to.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Breakfast cereals and cooked breakfasts are just a fond memory as far as I am concerned. I can't tolerate the usual Weetabix, Shredded Wheat, Porage Oats etc. :(

One of my rare treats if my Bg is low in the mornings is a couple of rashers of back bacon, a fried egg and tomato, with a couple of slices of Fergus Bread and a steaming mug of tea. Bliss. :D

2 hrs later Bg only risen by 1 - 2 mmol/l. I still miss a chunk or two of crusty bread and some baked beans though.

Ken.

belinda_b

I don't like cereals much and as I have never liked milk I have only eaten them rarely. I did try having eggs in the morning but soon got fed up of that so I have greek yoghurt with rasps most mornings. Today I had a slice of wholemeal bread and 2 rashers of back bacon....lovely....and very little difference in bg reading. It's like everything else....very individual, and what suits one peson won't suit another.

bunty

Most days, even at weekends, i make myself porridge using either of two brands that only put the old fashioned roughly rolled oats in their box and nothing else at all - not even soya.

It takes me 7 minutes to stir the stuff, during which time i drink water and force myself to wake up!

I use 300ml of semi slimmed milk and splenda sprinkled into the cooked bowlful and my portion of oats is 45g.

My b.g. is doing well on this regime.

So, i dont consider myself idle in my breakfast choice but in any case, each to their own. Some people prefer to divvy out their time differently to me and who's to say one is lazy/idle/careless/proactive/informed/sensible or what, really?

My alternative brekkie, which i have very rarely, is either 2 slices of multigrain toast and a glass of sugar free milkshake (semi slimmed milk) or 2 slices of multigrain cheese on toast and water to drink.

Works for me, so far...

bunty

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oatibix are probably the best cereal for not raising my BG levels being made from oats as the name suggests, unfortunately to me they taste like cardboard so I generally eat Cornflakes, Branflakes or Special K I just have small portions

I've ate cereal for breakfast (and supper) my whole life and experimented for 10 years while being diabetic. The cereals you highlighted above are ok... Oatibix I think has more sugar than most realise especially with the flavoured varities. Corn Flakes are high GI so blood sugar might spike if you're not prepared with the right amount of insulin. Branflakes and special K I also find have a fair amount of sugar in (though I still eat them). I've learnt to adjust my insulin for the more sugary kinds of cereals and make sure to have the nicer tasting cereals for breakfast. For supper I usually have the really low carb, low GI, high fibre cereals such as Quaker Oat Crisp and Weetabix Crunchy Bran.

Also I think some people are forgetting that maybe the milk in cereals can add a lot to the spike they might see in blood sugar

As a type 1 diabetic I find with the right amount of insulin I can have most cereals (especially if I'm busy that morning walking/jogging to work)

zanc

Just went out to buy some nuts from my local whole food cooperative (Daily Bread Cambridge) and found some "Soya Chunks" supposed to be for meat substitute in stews, etc, but I ate a few and they tasted just like unsweetened cereal. I'll be trying them out tomorrow with unsweetened soya milk and fresh berries. I'll then report back.

makram1

Breakfast is important for all of us whether on Insulin or on a tablet. What I personally have found out over the years that all other Cereals i.e. Cornflakes or rice crispies the best for me is five table spoons of Oats and a bit of milk. Boil/cook in a microwave for 4/5 minutes add a bit of artificial sugar just to give a taste which could be swallowed comfortably has worked wonders.
While eating Corn flakes my BG level used to jump for a few hours then started coming down. When the sugar level was high then had a problem with vision. I was getting blurred vision. With Oats and with the increase of a dose by couple of units I am over the moon. My BG after two hours of breakfast is 4 to 6.
Too much carbohydrate is not good for a diabetic and also too much insulin intake is not good either High doses do give problem to nerves In other words they damage the nerves.
Sharing perhaps will help someone who is having problem with breakfast and avoiding it. Try my idea and come back with your words. Thanks.