Blisters!

queenbee

Has anyone heard of a link between diabetes and spontanous blisters? I've had diabetes type 2 since Sept 08 but have been having blisters on my right foot since November 2006. Could there be a link?

queenbee

Forgot to add these blisters come and go and are huge,very painful to walk on! My GP doesn't think it's diabetes related,my podiatrist thinks it might be?

queenbee

Hi,I'm seeing a dermologist on the 1st July! It's the same doctor I saw 2 years ago before my diabetes diagnosis and his response was some people get hayfever some get exzcma you get blisters! Put this cream on and it might stop them getting so big but unfortunately it hasn't! These blisters only come up on the soles of my right foot and last for either a few days or at worse so far a month! In most cases they burst and I can go back to walking pain free! I also have aspergers syndrome so any change in routine unsettles me and I hate taking any medication.

Spiral

queenbee, does the position of the blisters on your foot relate to things such as seams or rumpled and saggys socks? It might be worth checking that your socks and shoes fit you properly.

Now I know someone who has some high tech socks :shock: This means that the socks for right and left feet are different and allegedly fit better. I think some atheletes use these socks.

mannasage

Being a T2 myself, I see both a Dermatologist & Endocrinologist regularly. Between them they have to decide whether these eruptions (blisters?) are Actinic Keratosis (AK) or the result of an acidic pH. See "The pH Miracle for Diabetes" by Robert O. Young & Shelly Redford Young.

While diabetic Edema isn't rare, I never had it until this year, 5yrs after my original diagnosis. I quote:

"Symptoms for diabetes include excessive thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, blurred vision, increased hunger, frequent skin, bladder or gum infections; irritability, tingling or numbness in the hands or feet, slow to heal wounds, extreme unexplained fatigue. If you experience this combination of symptoms, it diabetes screening would be in order."

Skin infections c/b blisters, eruptions or even AK like! AK has other things to worry about, they often are pre-cancerous & lead to squamous cell carcinomas.

I'd certainly have a Endocrinologist involved, some Dermos aren't fully trained MD's, or is that not the case in the U.K.?

GLA!

queenbee

Thanks all for your replies! I'm using my phone to access the internet so sorry for all the spelling mistakes and the slow speed of replying! The blisters come up in several different places on the foot,at the moment there all near the front of the foot and covering near enough half the foot. The last lot were near the heal again covering half the foot they lasted for over a month! I've checked and it's not sock or shoe related,and there's no real patten to where they come from? My last HBA1C test in February was 7.4 but I test regulary at home with fairly ok results! Normally between 4 -7 fasting and hardly over 9 after food!

Spiral

queenbee, an HbA1c of 7.4% isn't okay (whatever the NHS says) and many people here would say that over 9 after food is not okay either.

I start to get concerned if when I get close to 8 and start thinking about excluding the food or reducing the portion size :? You need to reduce your blood sugar further, otherwise you will be getting more of these horrid complications :? Have you looked around the forums to find out how people reduce their blood sugar? It might give you some ideas of what you could do to reduce your readings.

If you have not been referred to the diabetic foot clinic already, ask for a referral quickly. Does your Aspergers affect your relationship with your GP or what the health professionals expect of you? If it does, taking an advocate with you to appointments might help. Once you have been referred to the diabetic clinic, keep ringing and see if there is a cancellation!

In the meantime, look after your feet by drying them thoroughly and keeping them infection free.

belinda_b

Hi there. A thought occurred to me. My son and daughter, both in their twenties have Asperger Syndrome. My daugter has a problem with blisters on her feet and this is due to her gait. Most people with AS have a slightly different walking gait and this can have quite an impact on your feet. She walks into her toes more than you would normally do and gets blisters both on the soles of her feet and just beneath her toes. She wears shock absorbing insoles (from cosyfeet) and these help a bit. Whether it's the way you walk or diabetes (or both), I would say a vist to your podiatrist is a must. Good luck :D

queenbee

Hi,what can I say I'm terrible at communicating face to face with anyone! My Mum does most of the interaction for me with any medical people! The podiatrist came to the house as I can't cope with going into any building where I have a 1 to 1 situation! It was her who said there was a possible link between diabetes and the blisters and it's something she's keeping a close eye on! I also have a needle phobia so all the tests I've had done for my diabetes have been done via a finger prick test! That includes the HBAC1 test.all the doctors and nurses that were involved in my case were gobsmacked with my results,on diagnosis my bg reading was 18.1 via a finger prick test! So don't really know where to go from here with finding out why there blisters come up and how I can stop them?

Spiral

Seems to me like you are communicating pretty well here, queenbee :D Your posts are clear and specific. If this kind of communication works for you, go with the flow!

If writing it down is what you need to do, then write it down. I'm sure your health care team also wouldn't have a problem with you writing stuff down for them either, in fact, I'm sure they would appreciate it. It focuses the mind wonderfully. I have sometimes written to my GP rather than try to get an appointment see him and sorted stuff out on the phone or gone in for an appointment if needed.

While it is great that your mother can help you with communication, I think we sometimes tend to be a bit inhibited around our parents :? :oops: And we don't always disclose the stuff we need to if we feel a bit embarassed about something :roll: and as parents we are sometimes guilty of wrapping our children in cotton wool :oops:

if you have gotten your results down from the high teens you are obviously doing something right :D You need to put a bit of structure on it - make your OCD tendencies (you mention them on your "How can you tell?" thread) work for you! Are you keeping a food diary as well as testing?

You could also keep a diary of you blister problems - possibly diagrams with outlines of the affected areas to get an idea of size and shape. You might be able to connect this with activities and see if there are any connections to BG readings in the longer term.