Prediabetes fears!

Modest118

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I'm a 24 year old male who has been testing his blood sugar and I'm worried by the numbers I've been getting. I have OCD, and panic disorder. I was seeing a correlation in my panic attacks after eating really carby meals, and in my research I thought I might have reactive hypoglycemia. So I bought a blood sugar monitor and began testing my blood sugar.

To my dismay it seems I'm never really low at all, in fact, I'm having prediabetic numbers. When I wake up in the morning my blood sugar is anywhere from 5.5 (99) to 6.1 (109). An hour after eating I'm normally in 7's but last night I had pad thai and I checked an hour after eating and I was 8.3(150)!!! and at two hours I was still only at like 7.8 (140). I read somewhere that the goal was to be under 7.8 1 hour after eating, and 6.7 two hours after eating, but these guidelines were for diabetics, and most people don't ever exceed 6.7!

As the day progresses I'm rarely under 5.5, and I'm beginning to be afraid to eat. I'm going to see my GP tomorrow but I don't even know what to tell them. The crazy thing is, I'm in no way overweight. I'm just under 5'10 145 pounds, I've lost about 5 pounds since this all started since I'm kind of afraid to eat, and when I do eat its normally very healthy, I don't drink pop ever, I don't even drink alcohol. I'm a little inactive, but thats about it.

I'm obsessing over my blood sugar and I'm spending tons of money on these strips. Wish I would have boughten a cheaper monitor lol.

What do you guys think? What can I do to counteract this? I don't want to go on a crazy diet because I don't want to lose weight cause I've got no weight to lose!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
First of all stop worrying, wait to see your doctor and listen to what he has to say.

You seem to have a false idea about diets, just call them ways of eating.You may not need to reduce your food intake, but just make a change to the macro nutrient ratios.

For diabetics here most eat according to the Low Carbohydrate High Fat way. ie LCHF.

FYI I was diagnosed as pre diabetic a little over two years ago and through using the LCHF way of eating now have completely normal blood

glucose values. You will be able to do the same I am sure.

For the meantime look through the forums and see what its all about. After your Dr visit come back and ask all the questions that you wish to ask.

And finally ,welcome to the forum , you will get plenty of great advice and help from many good people. All the best for your visit to the doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
As @Pasha says, don't panic, prediabetes is not full blown diabetes, it's merely an early warning...assuming you are even prediabetic. With some work it IS possible to achive normal blood glucose levels. I had to lose quite a bit of weight and watch my diet but I now have entirely normally blood glucose and pretty much eat what I like now - however, I still watch it as I don't want to land back where I started. Be honest with your GP, tell them you#re concerned you're diabetic and whilst you know a meter isn't entirely accurate (that's their usual excuse for poo-pooing the results anyway) you are concerned at some of the readings you're getting. To be honest they seem mostly borderline to me, based on those random results BUT get yourself checked out. It is a worrying wait but unfortunately a wait is inevitable, but it's better than worrying and burying your head in the sand :)

Reactions: 2 people