Very high 2 hrs after breakfast

lambkin

Please can anyone help...

I am a type 2 and have been on Avandamet - 1 daily after breakfast..
But...
after a recent fall, the doctor has checked my HB1A levels and it was 8.4

So I have been told to check my sugar levels 2 hours after breakfast.
Well.. after Shredded Wheat and milk with a cup of tea (no sugars at all) and after taking my medication, my levels have increased to 13.1 each day. Why? I thought that when you take the medication the levels are supposed to fall back. but mine obviously aren't until much later. At lunch time they are back to approx the same as fasting level(7.6). What am I doing wrong?

lambkin

Spiral

I'd say you needed to find a differnt breakfast and look at what you eat the rest of the day too. I'd suggest making a significant reduction in the amount of carbohydrate you eat.

Even your fasting bg is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high and your HbA1c is 1.4% above what the NHS considers "satisfactory". You need to get those levels down quickly.

I'm not on medication, so can't speak from personal experience, but medication does not allow you to eat what you want when you want, at least not if you want to remain healthy. I imagine your levels would be a lot higher than that if you were not taking the tablets. I'm sure someone with more intimate knowledge of medication will be along presently.

There are many T2s on here that have significantly reduced medication and a few that have stopped taking it altogether by getting their bs under tight control. I'm aiming to get my HbA1c under 6% by my next blood test.

Have a look around here, especially in the diet forums. You need to find something that works for you and that you can stick to long term. Ask as many questions as you like. Good luck.

belinda_b

I agree. My hbA1c was 8 in March, down to 6 by the middle of May so I'm hoping for under 6 by September. I reduced my carbs (drastically at first), and tested at least eight times a day to find out what I could and could'nt eat. It's just perseverence and fear (on my part) of complications, that has spurred me on....this site has helped too :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
lambkin said:
Please can anyone help...

I am a type 2 and have been on Avandamet - 1 daily after breakfast..
But...
after a recent fall, the doctor has checked my HB1A levels and it was 8.4

So I have been told to check my sugar levels 2 hours after breakfast.
Well.. after Shredded Wheat and milk with a cup of tea (no sugars at all) and after taking my medication, my levels have increased to 13.1 each day. Why? I thought that when you take the medication the levels are supposed to fall back. but mine obviously aren't until much later. At lunch time they are back to approx the same as fasting level(7.6). What am I doing wrong?

lambkin

Hi lambkin.

First of all the previous post by Spiral was excellent advice.

As for Avandemet, this is Rosiglitazone in combination with a lowish dose of Metformin (500mg up to 1g). Therefore these would not dramatically reduce your Bg levels unless they were high doses of both ?

You need to check your Bg levels 2 hrs after each meal, not just breakfast. If you are still concerned discuss this with your GP, your dosage may need to be increased.

Ken.

Spiral

If you really want to scare yourself, test 1 hour after you have eaten :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was testing 2 hours after a meal and had found my bg rapidly returning to normal/acceptable levels, but 1 hour after meals :shock: :shock: :shock: I have experimented by changing portion size and have stopped eating some things I was eating, or at least not eating them as frequently. I'm also about to look at differnt times of the day to see if that makes a difference.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi lambkin,

Completely agree with the others.
You say you have no sugar in your tea and of course that's the right thing to do. But shredded wheat is almost entirely processed carbohydrate, which your body quickly turns to the very same sugar you avoid in your tea!
You need to find alternatives to those carb foods if you're going to get your blood sugar down to a better level.

All the best,

fergus