How bad was my binge??

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
:D

Hi and welcome!

Hopefully you won't feel alone here any more - cos we are all freaks here! ;)

@Alisonjane10
Good to know you have your carbiness under control. :)
I did a while of very very very low carbing too - and found it equally boring.
Ended up rebounding to higher-than-50g-a-day for a while, but felt so dreadful (I'm v carb sensitive) that I drifted downwards again. This time with a renewed determination to eat more variety in the form of herbs, spices, flavoured mayo, different meal choices... Seems to be working at the moment. I definitely agree that below 20g/day can be monotonous.

Did have one thought that might help you though - I have recently discovered that some specific carbs cause bigger, nastier cravings than others. Wheat is my nemesis. Other grains less so, but still far more than starchy veg.
(I'm never going to crave carrots, for example!). And sugar... well that an interesting one. Grains spike my BG far more than sugar, but I just don't seem to be able to stop once I have started with the addictive white powder. I just keep on eating it.

You may find that you have much more craving leeway with certain foods than with others.

Hope that helps.

It certainly does help @Brunneria. Strangely enough, I've never had a craving for the grainy carbs I used to love...pasta, rice & pulses. But I STILL miss sugary foods with a passion. Ice cream was always my downfall. It's something I've learnt to live without. A bit like yourself, maybe a spoonful just to taste every now n then. I'll have to exercise some self control though. So glad to hear your low carbing is doing the biz for you right now. And, it's reassuring to know that I'm going through what others have had to go through to get to the other side. My binge was a blip. We learn through our mistakes I guess. Thank you for your kindness & supportive words.

Ali. X

Reactions: 4 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
@Alisonjane10

I'm curious how you felt the day after your binge day?

The reason I ask is that if I go above a magic number of carbs, I get carb cravings. It's a sort of restless gnawing around the inside of my ribs. A restlessness. A distraction. And I find myself thinking about all those glorious mounds of mash and family sized Dairy Milk bars that are just whispering my name...

If you don't get carb cravings, then the odd binge will do you no more damage than any sudden rise in BG (and I don't think it is possible to measure it in such detail)

But if you DO get carb cravings then a single binge can be very difficult to get over. A single carb fest can lead to a seesaw of cravings, binging, cravings, binging...

We've had people come to the forum deeply distressed that a single wedding breakfast, or special birthday meal led to days, weeks and months of out-of-control eating.

So my answer to your original post is basically - it depends.
But I think it depends on whether you get carb cravings, or not. Because that is (IMHO) the deciding factor on whether occasional treats work for you, or not.

Hello Brunneria

I'd be grateful if I could PM you r.e: your attached post. Need some help.
Ali. X

Reactions: 2 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
QUOTE="Alisonjane10, post: 828427, member: 160262"]Hi folks

I've done a REALLY dumb thing. After 3 months of LCHF, since diagnosis, with no cheating at all, I had a huge meltdown & have just downed a whole load of sugary, indulgent, totally inappropriate food. I just couldn't take another minute of my diabetic way of eating and lost it. Chocolate, muffins, banana, mousse & Jaffa cakes. I KNOW it was stupid...so don't tell me so please!! What I need to know is what damage have I done AND is this mad meltdown something that others go through as well? Anyone able to reassure me? Thank you folks.

Ali. :banghead:[/QUOTE]

Hi Alison,

Every single one of us are different on this forum and there is definitely no such thing as "best" in a world of individuals.

I have the odd treat every now and then, even if it means giving myself extra insulin and it being pre meditated !

I do this for one reason only and it's because I want to and it's good for me mentally !

Granted your treat was one hell of a treat but so what. As others have said put it down to experience and move on.

I find though in my experience over 33 years that if I have something I want once or so a week I never binge.

This may not work for some and some may totally disagree with my theology but it works for me and my emotional well being and my emotional well being for me is just as important as my physical !

If you were doing that every day then obviously you would be putting yourself into a precarious situation but you haven't you have been doing LCHF strictly for three months.!

Stop beating yourself up and get some perspective :)

PS - this is from a type 1 perspective !

G

gemma6549

QUOTE="Alisonjane10, post: 828427, member: 160262"]Hi folks

I've done a REALLY dumb thing. After 3 months of LCHF, since diagnosis, with no cheating at all, I had a huge meltdown & have just downed a whole load of sugary, indulgent, totally inappropriate food. I just couldn't take another minute of my diabetic way of eating and lost it. Chocolate, muffins, banana, mousse & Jaffa cakes. I KNOW it was stupid...so don't tell me so please!! What I need to know is what damage have I done AND is this mad meltdown something that others go through as well? Anyone able to reassure me? Thank you folks.

Ali. :banghead:

Hi Alison,

Every single one of us are different on this forum and there is definitely no such thing as "best" in a world of individuals.

I have the odd treat every now and then, even if it means giving myself extra insulin and it being pre meditated !

I do this for one reason only and it's because I want to and it's good for me mentally !

Granted your treat was one hell of a treat but so what. As others have said put it down to experience and move on.

I find though in my experience over 33 years that if I have something I want once or so a week I never binge.

This may not work for some and some may totally disagree with my theology but it works for me and my emotional well being and my emotional well being for me is just as important as my physical !

If you were doing that every day then obviously you would be putting yourself into a precarious situation but you haven't you have been doing LCHF strictly for three months.!

Stop beating yourself up and get some perspective :)

PS - this is from a type 1 perspective ![/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly :)

Reactions: 7 people

Bravo2zero

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfit thin people who think all over weight people are unfit
People get very passionate about managing their diabetes effectively through LCHF. It's a lifestyle choice at the end of the day, and lots of forum members have had good results by following this eating plan. Yes, I've found it can be all consuming at times. However, in January my BG was 22.4mmols. Now, my weekly average is 5.4 to 6.0mmols. Huge improvement, & more importantly, I can see better now. I no longer have numb fingertips. So for me, low carbing has probably saved my life. I'm learning to adapt my diet to allow treats...pancakes, a few dates, an orange etc. I need to in order to stay motivated, as well as continue losing weight. After years & years of people being advised to eat a low fat diet with lots of whole grains etc, the tide is turning. Low carb eating principles work, & seem to be the way forward, not just for diabetes management, but for a healthy diet generally too. Finding what works successfully for ourselves as individuals is the key. It'll be interesting to see what the most popular nutrition & dietary advice will be around in 20 years from now. When I was younger it was all about Rosemary Conley, low calorie diets. Then the juicing & smoothie culture was the in thing. Now it's the 5 - 2 diet. Aargh! It can be confusing. Anything that is seen to be effective will last the distance though. So looks like low carb is here to stay. Good luck to us all in our endeavour to get on top of this dastardly disease....however we may do so. Now, where did I put my Jane Fonda Video....gonna get me pink Lycra leggings on & go for the burn!! :D
Hi Ali not been on site much but I was wondering how you were doing, good to see your in control
Take care Dave

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly must say I am probably the worst diabetic ever! I'm 17 at the moment and have only just got my life back on track since diagnosis a few years back, for the first few months I was perfect until I had a tiny binge on a couple of biscuits only to realise all those times my nurses were using scare tactics on me saying I would 'be in hospital within hours' of being high was a lie, so then I pretty much gave up all together and have had a very high blood sugar and illness for about 2 years straight and my body has only handled it because of my age to cut to the chase all I am saying is from personal experience, if you love the food that much to have a binge one night once in a blue moon and put up with feeling like **** for the next day, jesus just do it don't let this illness turn you into a robot! If you 'enjoyed' it you can defiantly still enjoy it with a little moderation..:)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I honestly must say I am probably the worst diabetic ever! I'm 17 at the moment and have only just got my life back on track since diagnosis a few years back, for the first few months I was perfect until I had a tiny binge on a couple of biscuits only to realise all those times my nurses were using scare tactics on me saying I would 'be in hospital within hours' of being high was a lie, so then I pretty much gave up all together and have had a very high blood sugar and illness for about 2 years straight and my body has only handled it because of my age to cut to the chase all I am saying is from personal experience, if you love the food that much to have a binge one night once in a blue moon and put up with feeling like **** for the next day, jesus just do it don't let this illness turn you into a robot! If you 'enjoyed' it you can defiantly still enjoy it with a little moderation..:)

Nice comments @DannyBygrave. The trouble with one binge for me though is that it's not easy to get out of the crave, binge cycle. It's intolerable for me to have the complications I experienced when I was diagnosed in January this year. My fingertips were numb & lacked sensation, I could hardly see, my hair & skin suffered and I was permanently exhausted. I could sleep the clock round and still wake up knackered. So, getting on top of my diet again is super important to me. Had some really good advice from a forum member to help me get back on track. I guess you could say I'm a work in progress. I factor in a treat now rather than being so rigid with the lchf eating plan I was following. Totally unsustainable with hindsight.

The "BIG D" at 17 must be pretty **** horrible. I'm glad I made it to my 50's before it showed up. You must have worked hard to get your life back on track. Well done you! Right now, working on my sugar craving is trying. But I will succeed. I'm learning to choose appropriate sweet treats, and I'm exploring a wider variety of low carb meals. Once I know I'm back on track, I'll feel better about having the indulgent sweet treats I miss...like ice cream. It'll just have to be the lowest carb/sugar kind I can get my hands on. Might have to invest in an ice cream machine & make my own. You never know...I might be the next Ben & Jerrys. Hmmm...how about a kipper & strawberry combination? :***:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Treats: I do have one... I make my own chocolates... it is easy. Each one weighs about 15-17gm, contain few carbs, it's double cream and high% chocolate, with a range of flavours... and I have one maybe two at the end of my evening meal...
On a weekend I will roast potatoes for the family but they are not what they were.... preferring the roasted cauliflower... who would have thunk it...
You're doing good Aj
Hj

DannyBygrave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice comments @DannyBygrave. The trouble with one binge for me though is that it's not easy to get out of the crave, binge cycle. It's intolerable for me to have the complications I experienced when I was diagnosed in January this year. My fingertips were numb & lacked sensation, I could hardly see, my hair & skin suffered and I was permanently exhausted. I could sleep the clock round and still wake up knackered. So, getting on top of my diet again is super important to me. Had some really good advice from a forum member to help me get back on track. I guess you could say I'm a work in progress. I factor in a treat now rather than being so rigid with the lchf eating plan I was following. Totally unsustainable with hindsight.

The "BIG D" at 17 must be pretty **** horrible. I'm glad I made it to my 50's before it showed up. You must have worked hard to get your life back on track. Well done you! Right now, working on my sugar craving is trying. But I will succeed. I'm learning to choose appropriate sweet treats, and I'm exploring a wider variety of low carb meals. Once I know I'm back on track, I'll feel better about having the indulgent sweet treats I miss...like ice cream. It'll just have to be the lowest carb/sugar kind I can get my hands on. Might have to invest in an ice cream machine & make my own. You never know...I might be the next Ben & Jerrys. Hmmm...how about a kipper & strawberry combination? :***:

Yes I agree with you there it definatly! Sugar is addictive! But you know, it's upto the individual to treat there illness as they wish and if you look after yourself well most of the time the odd binge is not going to kill you as most 'diabetic nurses' who I find aren't even diabetic them selves preach!
As you progress through life with your illness you will come to learn your own body and how it works and reacts to certain things.
Yes I know what you mean about the early days I was the same! Yeah it is hard at my age around all of my mates too but at the end of the day theres always someone worse of than you and the only way to go is forwards!:)