i don't really know where to go from here...

candiloo

Hi everyone,

i'm knew to the forum, just diagnosed type 2 yesterday after having all of the signs, blood sugars are running ridiculously high and i don't really know what too do, there is so much conflicting information on the internet isn't there?!

i'm only 27 (it's my birthday today) so to be diagnosed was a massive shock to the system and yep i cried!

i had quite bad gestational diabetes in both my pregnancys (6 years and 2 years ago) and used insulin and metformin to control it. i was aware it was "more likely" to happen but just didn't realise quite so soon.

Dr has put me on metformin twice daily and said she will see me in a weeks time, to see if my sugars have improved.

i go too slimming world every week and have been losing weight steadily since i had my daughter 2 years ago, my diet isn't bad...confused!

just wanted to introduce myself really :)

sorry for rambling on lol!

:)
Simplest thing is to remember it isn't all about sugar it is also about carbs. Keep them down and the levels will come down and your weight will too if it needs to. Don't buy diabetic ice-cream and stuff as it is expensive and has more carbs that ordinary stuff in the formof sorbitol which is not good.Pay attention to what drug regime you are on and write things down so you can see what affects you - we are all different. Don't be fobbed off - stand up for yourself and ask questions. We are here to help I watched a programme a couple of years ago about people in India who were fat thin people. although they were thin, they had a lot of body fat and especially around the organs. Low carb diet will help you burn off any fat for energy - it may even help you get away from being type 2 completely by using up any fat around the pancreas that may be preventing it from working. Give it a go - you will know when the thirst stops, the thrush disappears and you are not so tired, that it is beginning to work.

Reactions: 2 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
welcome and happy birthday. :) just ask away, lots of lovely people to help.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies.
@Sooze, i've just been looking into LCHF, but if i'm honest it really scares me lol, it doesn't seem right lol x
Hi & a big welcome.
No the Lchf doesn't seem right, mainly because we have been brainwashed about the effects of fats, but it's now been proved it was all based mainly on results from tests on rabbits, "derrrr rabbits DONT EAT MEAT."
There are many on here as you've already seen, that will lay testament that it works.
When a dr Trudi Deakin & others have investigated & found it work, there is deffo something in it.
Happy birthday & happy reading

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, thats exactly what i'm going to spend my birthday night doing lol, resarch! thanks for the birthday wishes :) x

happy birthday and welcome ....This gives a simple overview to how it works
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

From the @Southport GP study, who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

*If you find these links useful. Please put in favourites and share with other diabetics here

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Happy birthday and welcome to the forum.
I cant add to all the information you have been given.
Stay with us,all will be fine x

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
That low far curry .... after you've been here a while you might be changing it for a full fat curry.
I've gone low carb high fat and the result is ...
Healthy weight loss.
Lower blood pressure lower medication.
Lowered bad cholesterol higher good cholesterol no medication.
Very well managed glucose levels in the fours and fives with an occasional blip into the sixes lower medication.
Have a read at this link to the bottom of the page. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
This is what many of us are doing despite how crazy it might sound at first.
This is not a diet but a permanent life change and of course we all cheat and treat a little but boy does that meter let us know!
Welcome to the healthiest corner of the interweb you could have found.

Sooze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fairy, I was exactly the same trying to get used to the full/high fat aspect - years of Slimming World I daresay LOL ! x

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to say hello, I am thinking we were both diagnosed on Wednesday? Happy belated. Similar story for me, have a look at my post if you get the chance. This place is so welcoming and a lot of knowledge around, pull up a chair, we newbies have a lot to learn. You will be tearful, you will be sad but I'm sure we will get to where we need to be x

Fairy88

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Can I ask whether you are overweight now? At 27, T2 is not very common unless you have excess weight and late onset T1 is more common if combined with being slim or having lost weight unexpectedly. Yes, do low-carb. You could say that NHS diet advice is out-dated but in fact it has never been based on any good science; I think the dieticians make it up or look at their crystals.

Hi, yes i am overweight but i'm not massivley obese or anything, thats me in my avatar, picture was taken saturday just gone so is a true picture, i know i need to lose weight though and have been actively trying too.

i have tried my first low carb day today, had a ham and mushroom omlette(levels 13 2 hours after) for my breakfast and chilli with no rice for lunch (levels 10.1 2 hours after) so the low carbness is definately bringing them down. struggling though, i'm a proper carb freak :confused:

mega overwhelmed by all the responses i've had on here since logging on yesterday, seriously, thanks! all advice is taken on board! xx

Fairy88

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to say hello, I am thinking we were both diagnosed on Wednesday? Happy belated. Similar story for me, have a look at my post if you get the chance. This place is so welcoming and a lot of knowledge around, pull up a chair, we newbies have a lot to learn. You will be tearful, you will be sad but I'm sure we will get to where we need to be x

Hi, yes i was also diagnosed Wednesday, i will deffo take a look at your post, its so nice to have people in the same boat! loving your positive attitude! You're right, we will! x

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hi, yes i am overweight but i'm not massivley obese or anything, thats me in my avatar, picture was taken saturday just gone so is a true picture, i know i need to lose weight though and have been actively trying too.

i have tried my first low carb day today, had a ham and mushroom omlette(levels 13 2 hours after) for my breakfast and chilli with no rice for lunch (levels 10.1 2 hours after) so the low carbness is definately bringing them down. struggling though, i'm a proper carb freak :confused:

mega overwhelmed by all the responses i've had on here since logging on yesterday, seriously, thanks! all advice is taken on board! xx
Lowering the carbs sounded a bit daunting to me too at first.
For the first couple of months I went cold turkey and very strict with myself .... it worked wonders.
Now I've introduced more carbs back into my diet .... a little at a time .... a little here a little there and I'm doing really well.
I miss mashed potatoes but do have a couple of table spoons.
I eat porridge most days but only with coconut oil or butter mixed in as a fat to slow down the conversion of the oats into glucose.
I'm fortunate that I can get away with it some can't.
We don't really have a choice but to do something do we.
Diabetes is life changing but I've found it far from negative .... once I got my head around it which was joining this crowd.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Not sure about help being available in that way.
But that help is available here from people in the same leaky boat.
See if you can get her to just read if not join and post for now.

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Fairy,
Welcome. Stay cool, there's a lot to learn. Glad your BG is dropping, although the slowness of it must be frustrating.
The food industry likes to flog us carbs and most of us had carbs hard wired into our brains.
I spent a long time messing around tryignto keep my fat low and unsaturated and slowly grew and grew. Since cutting the carbs, and exercising more, the kilos have steadily disappeared. My responses to carbs seem to have improved as well.
My immediate response to diagnosis was that cakes, biscuits and the like were unnecessary carbs and should go. Bread was surprisingly easy to scale back although what I shall do with the bread flour in my cupboard, I'm not sure.
The problem comes with the late afternoon munchies. Cheese, olives and nuts make good fillers. Babybel comes prerationed.
Best wishes
Adam