Testing blood type 2

Redpete222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people
I have been type 2 for 10 months now, was told its due to my heart failure medication and being over 45 years old !
My GP put me on metformin 500mg 4 times a day, as I was a bodybuilder and kick boxer before the heart problems, I am now taking metformin twice a day as I have gone ftom 130kgs to 97kgs in weight, my question is after another trip with blue lights and panic into hospital with heart problens, the doctirs told me to start testing my blood to keep a record of my diabetes which has always been under control, they suggested test twice a day one morning one evening but what us the bedt time before breakfast or after and before my evening meal or after as while I was in hospital they tested me at all different times.
My heart problems were caused by a virus infection in the blood, which in turn gave me an enlarged heart with only a 24% refraction at its worst I now have an almost normal refraction I am told but I have T2 as well now......

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it were me..for a week I'd write down what and how much I ate..
I'd test when i got up and/or before meals and 2 hr after and when I went to bed for a few days..this will give a good idea
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

if I lost 30kg without trying trying too hard, I would get a tub of urine ketostixs and keep an eye on my urine ketones too

then take this info back to your GP and see what they say I should do and if they need to test for T1

what numbers are you seeing when you test now?

Redpete222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people
if it were me..for a week I'd write down what and how much I ate..
I'd test when i got up and/or before meals and 2 hr after and when I went to bed for a few days..this will give a good idea
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

if I lost 30kg without trying trying too hard, I would get a tub of urine ketostixs and keep an eye on my urine ketones too

then take this info back to your GP and see what they say I should do and if they need to test for T1

what numbers are you seeing when you test now?

Redpete222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people
Beteewn 5.0 and 7.4 I have been testing before meals

Redpete222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rude people
Most of the weight loss was due to coming off the bodybuilding diet and not training 6 days aweek, due to the heart problem.
Was told by doctors my diabetes was csused by the heart medication and beta blockers.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beteewn 5.0 and 7.4 I have been testing before meals
that's a lot better than I thought you were going to say :) and the weight loss sounds ok then
you may need to work out with your Dr's if you can reduce some of your carbs and have some more fats to replace that lost energy..the answer will probably be no..so it may be meds controlled rather than diet.

as you read the forum, a lot of t2 control through diet ..lower carbs and higher fats and a bit more protein sometimes.