Not a question but a warning

N

nicbarnett

Hi all,

In my atempt to loose weight ( 8 stones) I have been having atkins shakes 3 x a day for the past week.

My blood sugar is very high even though they is only 4g carbs in each shake, I am bunged up to the max, and feel like sh#t, needless to say I haven't lost any weight !!

I am also so so tired and have done nothing but work and sleep for the last week. And my skin has got so oily and blemished.

I guess this is a warning to those trying to lose weight, please dont try these shakes.

I am not sure what I am going to do now, maybe slimming world. xx

Last edited:

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know nothing about these shakes so I am neither promoting or dissuading people from using them, just commenting on your post.

Are you eating/drinking anything aside from the shakes? Are they meant to replace three meals?

I don't know what you were eating prior to the shakes but any time you change your diet radically, there is a chance you'll be extremely tired, and that your skin may break out. Radically reducing your carbs can bring on exhaustion for the first couple weeks.

Are the 4g of carbs total carbs or sugar only? It is surprising you haven't lost any weight yet but if the shakes are all you are eating, your body may be holding onto every last calorie. The fact that you are constipated is only making matters worse. Are you drinking plenty of water?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As your ill I would assume that its your illness that could be responsible in the first instance.......

another thing to think about is basal.........is it correct?

also ketones, as your ill and on a low carb meal replacement, ketones will want to show their face likely...............:)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How much protien in each shake have you bolused for it?

how high is high?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No experience of these shakes or any others but if they are doing that to you Nic they are best left alone.

Reactions: 2 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a look at a low carb high fat diet and see what you think.

Ali

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just checking out the Atkins website, each shake contains 15g of protein. These shakes are the equivalent of protein shakes taken by bodybuilders. The reason bodybuilders take them is to invoke an insulin reaction, which comes with a Glucagon reaction.

What is happening is that your body is releasing glucagon, causing your liver to convert Glycogen to Glucose as a result of taking the protein shakes.

You will need to bolus for protein at roughl;y 50% of the amount you bolus for carbs if you are taking these things. They will drive your blood glucose levels up due to this process.

Reactions: 6 people
N

nicbarnett

Ahhh that will be why my bs are crazy then, I'm.trying the LCHF as from tomorrow, I printed off loads of info from the site today and am ready to eat yummy food x

Reactions: 4 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's too bad :/

I am unsure what your current personal stats are, but i would suggest you head over to www.bodybuilding.com and check out their weight loss forums.

They have great advice, and from what i have seen/experience the best thing you can do to loose weight is to count calories, and exercise (both cardio and with weights).

The most basic weight theory is ensure you burn more calories then you ingest every day, and you will loose weight. At those forums, in the stickies they have equations that you can use to roughly determine how many calories you burn every day, to ensure you ingest 200-500 less then that number.

Best of luck!

Sammie01

Hi Nic,

I can greatly recommend Slimming World as the plan is very easy and you can eat nonstop if you want, no need to go hungry. I started two weeks ago and have lost 3.5 lbs already - other people lost even more than that who started with me. All you have to do is go to the Slimming World websit and put in your postcode and that brings up the nearest classes, or you can join online.

Good luck and rest assured, you will not be hungry at all.

Mamie936

I have tried slimming clubs and had success but just put on weight afterwards as I find diet foods unappetising. I am now doing low carbohydrate diet and enjoying my food. Doing it for my type2 diabetes mainly but losing weight and feeling well. Hospital very pleased with me. It doesn't feel like a diet at all! Recommend it highly!

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Good Morning all
I too am an overweight type 2 on insulin and i also take 34 different tablets for different conditions, it was decided by my gp to put me forward for bariatric surgery and i am currently seeing the dietician at leeds general infirmary, she decided to put me on nestle build up telling me it had all the nutrients i needed and would make me lose weight.

After 2 months on this rubbish i gained 2 kilograms but more importantly my sugar level had doubled to 16 and my a1c had increased i have now had to increase my insulin by over 40 units per day.

Cheers
Stillo

Saramel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Atkin Shakes are not supposed to be meal replacements so you probably do feel lousy on them. If you feel the need for quick weight loss try a proper meal replacement shake such as Cambridge or Lighter Life. I have done both and found my blood sugars stabilising very quickly. However, I do still feel hungry so actually using Atkins diet plan is far nicer. :)