snacks! what do people eat in between meals! I'm new and starving!!!

leedoak

New with type 1. I inject twice a day, my levels are always at the upper end end 7-10. What do people snack on inbetween meals? Thank you?

CraigDT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Babybels. cold meat, sugar free jelly with cream(The extra thick squirty cream is only 2% carbs, other types have more, or you could just get proper cream). Nuts, most are low carb (not cashews), brazils and walnuts are my favourites.

Reactions: 4 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sugar free hartley jelly pots. They are low carb about 1.3g per pot and are delicious! I'm always snacking on them :)

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nuts, carrots/veggies dipped in Caesar dressing, salads, cheese, sometimes if my sugars between meals are in the 4s i have some crackers with that cheese and Peanut Butter cookies made with Spenda instead of sugar. Each Cookie turns out being like 4g of carbs, but is such low glycemic index that it hardly raises my sugars at all (well if you eat a reasonable amount lol)

Most times i just have a snack and bolus for it accordingly..

However, in my first 3-4 months i did not eat between meals at all because i hadn't really gotten the hang of adjusting my sugars and insulin yet so i too just starved OR ate huge meals OR just ate whenever my sugars got low enough to allow for it haha

G

gemma6549

Celery with or without humous
Sugar free jelly
Thin slices of cooked chicken
Cucumber sticks
Blueberries

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi type 1 for a long time and I have never snacked in between meals, I'm always hungry 24/7, but that's just me. I know members will come up with some good ideas.
Best wishes RRB

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like some others here, I like to eat nuts. Pecans and brazils are my current favs. Cheese. You might have to bolus for these if that's all your having. Popcorn. Recently tried sunflower seeds which are quite edible (and low carbs) and filling but don't know if I'll be having them on a regular basis. Sticky toffee pudding sometimes. I find I can also eat milk chocolate without a negative effect of my bg. I currently have lactose intolerance though (I think) which is why I'm trying out a few different foods. Occasionally dark choc. but not that much of a fan. Houmous and pitta. There are quite a lot of options.

Can I ask why you only inject twice a day? Most type 1s inject 4 times minimum. Twice a day will probably give you less 'freedom' as regards maintaining acceptable BG and eating when and what you want. I've personally always injected as many times as I wanted to. Good luck with type 1.

Edit: grammar.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above.. Pig snacks are a great portable low/no carb alternative to a bag of crisps...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
take a thin slice of ham -- spread some cream cheese on it and then wrap that around a spring onion -- delicious !!
i make up a pack of ham's worth of these and store in the fridge as an easy snack

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The glass of water is good at the moment until some wise guy discovers if really full of hidden carbshope everyone's had a nice relaxing weekend
Jan

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With 2 injections you may need a snack with carbs depending upon your levels.
Lower carb snacks are great but as a T1 you may actually need more than nuts or olives to keep you balanced.
If you test pre snack time and you are above 6.0 then personally I would omit the snack and keep testing hourly until your next meal. If your levels dip below 5.0 a small 10-15g carb snack may be needed.
However, with your levels currently between 7-10 I would be doing some hourly testing from scheduled snack time to your next meal time as you may not need to snack but you need to find out if you need to eat a snack or not.
If your levels stay pretty static then you could do a low carb snack. If your levels raise or lower from expected snack time to next eating time then this should decide you on what to eat as a snack...