Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... OH dear...
The subject Diabetes.
Dismissive of LCHF. & a "typist" T1.. Anyone tune into it???

Edit.
An angry @pshuttle of Lancashire adds below....:D

Just listened to the advice and opinions of the dietician on the Radio 4 Food Programme regarding daibetes and diet, and she is still pedalling the carbohydrates are fine for diabetics rubbish and as usual, the increasing evidence which is currently emerging, was discounted and rubbished. They keep talking about the fact that high fat is bad for your heart and kidneys etc, but totally ignoring/not mentioning the fact that constantly high blood sugar from consuming high amounts of carbs (which the balanced diet the NHS talks about, contains), causes challenges in the form of severe complications, such as Retinopathy, Neuropathy, amputations, liver and kidney problems (the list goes on).

Quite angry really.

The chap with Type 1 was much more reasonable though.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear. Just what you would expect form the 'experts'. Have a 'normal, healthy diet', 'eat the same as non-diabetics', 'carbs are not the enemy', 'reduce salt, saturated fats & sugar'. The subject of LCHF was raised but the usual nonsense about not knowing the long term effects etc. At least LCHF was mentioned so we are getting there. Give it another 5 years and the discussion will be different but with a lot more early deaths and body damage in between for those who follow the 'experts'. The T1 chap was quite sensible but still talked mostly about sugar rather than carbs as he hadn't quite associated the two. There was no mention by anyone that excess insulin to cover excess carb.s would cause weight gain

Reactions: 5 people

iHs

Yes...I heard it and as usual got annoyed as most people are eating far too much carb every day and dont take any notice and just look if anything at the sugar content.

Years ago, many type 1s did in fact eat less carb than what bolus/basal insulin allows?? DAFNE ring a bell? Twice daily insulins only allowed for a certain amount of carb to be eaten every day and that was weighed up against bodyweight.

Im sure that if dieticians and DUK would remark on saying that people are eating too much carb instead of too much sugar, weightgain would not be the high issue that it is. For sure, the food producers need sorting out but until that happens, people need to eat a sensible diet with a level of food that maintains reasonable bg levels and also is able to keep bodyweight within a sensible range. Low carb with plenty of veg is far better than eating plate fulls of chips, pizzas and all the other 'tish' food that's on offer in the shops.

Reactions: 7 people

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and it's complications
Erm I posted this in the LCHF diet forum then noticed it had disappeared!

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm I posted this in the LCHF diet forum then noticed it had disappeared!

Looks like somebody "hamfistedly" merged our posts.. Great minds & all that..

Pleased to meet you Pete. :) I'm not Pete... :rolleyes:

I have sorted it out upstairs now...

_36689245_tookadd_150.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why thank you kind sir, and pleased to meet you!

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why thank you kind sir, and pleased to meet you!

lol. No problem. I think we're on the same page with our view on this.. The program actually started quite sensible. Then the "experts" Laughed off low carbing..
I feel the modern insulin tech used cant' still keep up with the modern "healthy" diets they promote.. They may say "carbs are not the enemy?"
But i still propose a restraining order.... ;)

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Bit too dismissive of LCHF.
My biggest gripe was the "diabetics can eat anything" without emphasising how small some portions would have to be to remain healthy.
They did, to be fair, say that a "normal" diet is often not healthy.
I spent the best part of 30 years trying to eat a low fat diet while steadily piling on the pounds.
Three months of LCHF and it's all come off again.

Reactions: 8 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused!!
When I was diagnosed with type 1 eight years ago I was told to eat carbs with every meal. I have done so religiously ever since.
I cook a lot of our food from scratch and we eat normal family foods such as cottage pie, spaghetti bolognaise fajitas to name a couple of examples. I do also enjoy the odd takeaway and Saturday nights are usually a treat night in terms of food.
Since reading a lot on this forum I have noticed low carbing a lot. Are the things that I have been eating wrong? How much carb would you recommend on a daily basis? Thanks

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would agree with the low carbs, because as a dietician should know , they all turn to glucose in the digestion. I am still a bit unsure of the high fat. I agree things like low fat yoghurt are useless as they boost the taste with sugar, but grilled instead of fried and other sensible precautions against too much fat is a good idea.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother was T2 diabetic and had to take insulin. She ate what she had been told was a healthy diet for a diabetic and, seeing what she was advised to eat, I followed the same regime and ate lots of fruit, pasta, rice, low fat foods, potatoes etc etc but never seem to lose any weight and still got diabetes! Since joining the forum in August last year and eating less carbs and full fat I have lost weight, feel healthier and my BS is in the non-diabtic range most of the time. How can the food programme justify telling people to stick to carbs when the evidence that low carb works is out there?

Reactions: 8 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm confused!!
When I was diagnosed with type 1 eight years ago I was told to eat carbs with every meal. I have done so religiously ever since.
I cook a lot of our food from scratch and we eat normal family foods such as cottage pie, spaghetti bolognaise fajitas to name a couple of examples. I do also enjoy the odd takeaway and Saturday nights are usually a treat night in terms of food.
Since reading a lot on this forum I have noticed low carbing a lot. Are the things that I have been eating wrong? How much carb would you recommend on a daily basis? Thanks

It's what suits you and what you can live with. Not all Type 1s low carb by any means. I don't, and my HbA1c is great and I'm not, and have never been overweight. I eat between 150 to 180g of carbs per day.

Each body has different needs and a different amount of carbs they can tolerate. I count carbs, do plenty of blood tests, and eat moderate amounts of potatoes, cereal, pasta, etc. For me, what's most important is keeping my blood sugar within range.

(I use an insulin pump, my last HbA1C was 28 (4.7), and my BMI is around 19.5)

jackie_oates_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother was T2 diabetic and had to take insulin. She ate what she had been told was a healthy diet for a diabetic and, seeing what she was advised to eat, I followed the same regime and ate lots of fruit, pasta, rice, low fat foods, potatoes etc etc but never seem to lose any weight and still got diabetes! Since joining the forum in August last year and eating less carbs and full fat I have lost weight, feel healthier and my BS is in the non-diabtic range most of the time. How can the food programme justify telling people to stick to carbs when the evidence that low carb works is out there?
HI i just thought i would say well done for what you have achieved :) I started the lchf diet 8 weeks ago i was on 22 units of basul insulin and tablets as from Thursday i no longer need the insulin so just take tablets so its working for me :)

Reactions: 6 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
HI i just thought i would say well done for what you have achieved :) I started the lchf diet 8 weeks ago i was on 22 units of basul insulin and tablets as from Thursday i no longer need the insulin so just take tablets so its working for me :)
That's an impressive achievement - well done!

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused!!
If you are not overweight then you may have the right diet, but excess carbs and insulin to match can easily lead to weight gain. Aslo, the more insulin you take the higher the blood sugar swings if you don't carb count quite right and hence the risk of hypos increases.

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's what suits you and what you can live with. Not all Type 1s low carb by any means. I don't, and my HbA1c is great and I'm not, and have never been overweight. I eat between 150 to 180g of carbs per day.

Each body has different needs and a different amount of carbs they can tolerate. I count carbs, do plenty of blood tests, and eat moderate amounts of potatoes, cereal, pasta, etc. For me, what's most important is keeping my blood sugar within range.

(I use an insulin pump, my last HbA1C was 28 (4.7), and my BMI is around 19.5)

It sounds to me that you look after yourself very well, and although you don't low carb, I bet you are very careful with your portion sizes. I bet your diet is much lower carb than the majority of people regardless.