help needed please

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My elderly father in law is type 1, in end stage renal failure and along with many other ailments has just been told he has low iron too.....whats the best foods for him....I am type 2 so not sure if he can have similar things to me or not....kinda new to all this. Tia

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I can't help, but will give your post a bump so that someone can give specific advice. Maybe we will want to hear about his other ailments.
How are you managing your Type 2? I might know more about that.

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I'm doing ok, managed to lose 2 stone but as always could lose more and really want to but have hit a stalemate! Have changed my diet as well as the rest of the family's so that helps.
Father in law has heart trouble, arthritis, low blood pressure and a fair bit of stress in his life as his wife has ms and onset of dementia! His back constantly aches and he is very unstable on his feet. He needs to build up strength after spending 7 weeks in hospital.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, hope you stay with us. If you're the "pillar" of the family make sure you take care of yourself properly so you can look after the others. But I expect you know that already.
Do you get proper medical support for your father-in-law? Treatment and advice?

Reactions: 6 people

Maelstrom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Asking to see a renal dietitian would be the best thing honestly. Your father in law has complex dietary needs and what works for one person may not work for him a lot depends on if he's on dialysis or not and his potassium and phosphate levels and that's without taking into consideration his diabetes and other medical conditions

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Hello , sorry to hear you sad news , yes you must look after yourself agree with DeejayR you need to look after yourself ..
Your father in law is indeed very unwell ...what type of food ....well that is a very hard question ...but someone may have the answer ....I have no answer ...did the hospital give you any suggestions ....or support ....
I am sorry I wish there was a miriclue answer .....
Thinking of you and just saying welcome ....congratulations on your weight loss by the way that is great ...
Give father in law all the best food he is allowed to have ....best wishes ..Kat x
I think it's about quality of life after all he is going through ...

Reactions: 4 people

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys, yeah, I do have low days and high days, not getting time to eat lunch is probably my main fault, but while I'm shopping, cleaning and just keeping them company I forget! Yes he has carers go in twice a day and mother in law has them 4 times a day which is a help, I've just been shopping and got him some frozen berries to have with 0% fat natural yoghurt as a treat which he seems very happy with. X

Reactions: 2 people

Maelstrom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does your father in law attend a renal clinic or have a renal community nurse or is he under the care of his GP
Diet alone may not be enough to raise his iron levels he may need treatment for it, is he on a low potassium/phosphate diet ?

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having only just moved him and my mother in law closer to us its all a little bit up in the air atm....he attends dialysis 3x a week, and is due to start iron injections at his session tomorrow afternoon. I am just after a bit of advice as to how I can help him at home. Nothing has been mentioned about potassium or phosphate? Is this something I should be asking? X

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome Kate.
You have a lot on.you take care.and look after yourself.
Sorry about your father in law,you dont say what age he is.If I were you I would give him what he enjoys to eat,and let the Drs sort his low iron.
If he likes liver that is high in iron.

Maelstrom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kate
speak to someone about his specific needs and also if you are going to take an active role in his needs ask if his hospital are part of https://www.patientview.org/#/ if so ask to join it this will give you access to his blood results

The http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=6992ae39a495f1fba7c50ea8166b611f Maybe a good source of help regarding father in law

This is a good place to start with plenty of links in it http://renux.dmed.ed.ac.uk/EdREN/EdRENINFObits/Diet_CRF.html and you could try googling your own health trust renal unit some trusts give better info than others

And here's a recipe book http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/r...ay-eating-recipe-book-for-kidney-patients.pdf

Hope that helps a little

Jac

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys, its just been one of those days where id really like to crawl under a stone!! Just realised id not taken my own meds this morning which doesn't help matters!!!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, its just been one of those days where id really like to crawl under a stone!! Just realised id not taken my own meds this morning which doesn't help matters!!!
What did I say? *looks sternly* Look after No 1 ;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Is your father's blood sugar well controlled? That is important for all of us but especially with kidney problems. Normally, many of us would recommend keeping the carbs low in the diet to help both weight and blood sugar but he must take the advice of a kidney disease expert.

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think the best idea is to go with him to dialysis one day soon and speak with the guys that know best. Xx

Reactions: 3 people

kate78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well guys, went to clinic with father in law yesterday and it wasn't really the news we wanted to hear. His kidneys are beyond repair and what with his heart problems has been told they expect him to live another 18-24 months. His phosphate levels are low, and needs a low potassium diet as well as low sugar and low fat! Poor sod can't eat much he likes anymore! Bit of a sad time