Low carb slap on the wrist

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
I have seen a 'health trainer' this afternoon as a result of having a pre-diabetes diagnosis. It was recommended that I see her.
She is going to tell the Dr and nurse about me being on a low carb regime because it's not good for me!
I explained that I was walking 4-6 miles daily, eating low carbs and have lost over half a stone since being informed of pre-diabetes.
She was still insisting I should be getting starch every day in the form of potatoes, bread, rice, pasta etc. and I insisted I felt better without them.
Watch this space!

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:)
I hope you told your trainer, you're eating real butter and full fat everything too

Reactions: 17 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yea - sharp intake of breath! Heehee.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What can they do? Force feed you? I think many of us have had this type of conversation with health practitioners. My view - they don't throw a panic when they know people are eating crisps and sweets all day - why are they sweating about low carb? Eat as you see fit. If you start loosing more weight than is good for you or start experiencing other health problems due to your diet - review the situation.

Good luck with your management of pre-diabetes. I hope your swift action prevents or slows down your risk of getting diabetes. Oh and keep on board with this forum, even if you just check in now and again. The people who post here will support you when HCP's fail to do so.

Reactions: 9 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Will do angelic baby. I'm quite proud of the fact that I've managed to stick to low carbs for so long, but that's because I enjoy it. On Sunday however, I had to eat at a well known chicken restaurant (long story). As I haven't had any 'treat days' since starting low carbs, I thought I'd have what I wanted. So I shared a little bit of pitta & hoummous, then a few (half a dozen maybe) fries with my meal. No dessert. Geez, I felt rough yesterday morning! My digestive system was most unhappy. I won't be doing that again.
jack412 - that article is great thanks. I'll save it to show the nurse or Dr if they call me in. The health trainer today kept on saying that it's the 'of which sugars' on food labels that I needed to look at. When I asked why not the whole carb count, as that's where those sugars are included, she didn't have an answer - just kept telling me I HAD to have starch every day.

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oooo don't ya just love a good confrontation with the evidence to back it up!

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask them what the recommended daily allowance of carbs is .......... ZERO. It doesn't have an RDA, it is not an essential category in our diet.

Ali

Reactions: 12 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ask them what the recommended daily allowance of carbs is .......... ZERO. It doesn't have an RDA, it is not an essential category in our diet.

Ali

Lol. Will do. The health trainer (!) doesn't want to see me again, because I insisted on staying low carb. She then said she could encourage and motivate exercise - I told her I was walking 4-6 miles a day, as well as core exercises. It was then she gave up, but not before telling me she'd be telling the nurse & Dr because I should be under medical supervision if not eating 'properly'.
Nobody was supervising me when I was eating mountains of **** - but hey ho!

Reactions: 13 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you have a starting level record also of your bloods including cholesterol, hba1c, full blood count before you started low carbing as well as weight it may help to convince your health care individuals when you get your next ones done that you are right to follow lower carb....

Reactions: 7 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you have a starting level record also of your bloods including cholesterol, hba1c, full blood count before you started low carbing as well as weight it may help to convince your health care individuals when you get your next ones done that you are right to follow lower carb....

I do have a print out with all that info. However, they absolutely won't test me again for a year. So I'm looking into getting a monitor, cos they won't give me one. Just checking which would be best for me - I'm not insulin dependent obviously, so don't need loads of bells & whistles, but I am a bit of a tech lover so not too basic either!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Keep doing what you feel is right for you and the numbers will speak for themselves. Health Trainer sounds like a vague, made up job title to me.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I do have a print out with all that info. However, they absolutely won't test me again for a year. So I'm looking into getting a monitor, cos they won't give me one. Just checking which would be best for me - I'm not insulin dependent obviously, so don't need loads of bells & whistles, but I am a bit of a tech lover so not too basic either!

Thats annoying to wait one year. If GP or DSN mentions lchf say that "the only way he will stop you is if they do another blood test now and levels haven't improved!!!"

I take it you are going to purchase your own strips? Most companies will provide free meters but its the strips that are so varying in costs.

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Keep doing what you feel is right for you and the numbers will speak for themselves. Health Trainer sounds like a vague, made up job title to me.

Yup. She had a black tshirt on with HEALTH TRAINER in big white letters across her back. That made me giggle.
I had to sign a form to say she'd advised me about diet etc.

Reactions: 5 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thats annoying to wait one year. If GP or DSN mentions lchf say that "the only way he will stop you is if they do another blood test now and levels haven't improved!!!"

I take it you are going to purchase your own strips? Most companies will provide free meters but its the strips that are so varying in costs.

Good idea, will do.

And yes, I'll have to buy my own cos the surgery won't provide as I'm only pre, not T2.

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by my dr not to cut carbs and just avoid the "sugars"
Why do they insist on carbs?
I was under the impression theyr'e not essential, but health people keep harping on about them .. im confused lol.

Still low carbing though :)

Reactions: 7 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yup. She had a black tshirt on with HEALTH TRAINER in big white letters across her back. That made me giggle.
I had to sign a form to say she'd advised me about diet etc.
Well if she has a tshirt, then she must be an expert :woot:

Reactions: 18 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol. Will do. The health trainer (!) doesn't want to see me again, because I insisted on staying low carb. She then said she could encourage and motivate exercise - I told her I was walking 4-6 miles a day, as well as core exercises. It was then she gave up, but not before telling me she'd be telling the nurse & Dr because I should be under medical supervision if not eating 'properly'.
Nobody was supervising me when I was eating mountains of **** - but hey ho!
when your meter comes, you will more than likely find your pre-diabetes seems gone by the weight loss already and you are seeing normal numbers.

when your insulin resistance is right and your pre diabetes is in remission and your weight is in the lower parts of normal.
be careful you don't make the common mistake of thinking you can go back to lots of carbs because your pancreas says you can by your test strips.
this will help with how much carb..just make sure you are well under your personal threshold
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
testing and SD codefree meter
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
if you buy extra boxes of strips there is a discount code ..5 packs 264086

wait until they send you to a dietitian :) .."you have to eat 130g carb because that's what your brain needs a day." ,,,,,these people that have been eating 50g for years are obviously "the walking brain dead zombies", eskimos never lived on the ice and an african tribe didn't live on blood and milk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQYZ6FbsmI

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
when your meter comes, you will more than likely find your pre-diabetes seems gone by the weight loss already and you are seeing normal numbers.

when your insulin resistance is right and your pre diabetes is in remission and your weight is in the lower parts of normal.
be careful you don't make the common mistake of thinking you can go back to lots of carbs because your pancreas says you can by your test strips.
this will help with how much carb..just make sure you are well under your personal threshold
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
testing and SD codefree meter
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
if you buy extra boxes of strips there is a discount code ..5 packs 264086

wait until they send you to a dietitian :) .."you have to eat 130g carb because that's what your brain needs a day." ,,,,,these people that have been eating 50g for years are obviously "the walking brain dead zombies", eskimos never lived on the ice and an african tribe didn't live on blood and milk

Thanks Jack. I don't see low carbs as a temporary regime, but obviously when I reach my goal weight I know I'll need to adjust from a weight losing level. So the links are a great help - thanks again.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jack. I don't see low carbs as a temporary regime, but obviously when I reach my goal weight I know I'll need to adjust from a weight losing level. So the links are a great help - thanks again.
you don't have to increase carbs, but you can and I think I would because some carbs are a treat. :)
you can stay on very low carb if you want to and not lose weight, the breakdown would be ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-4-28_23-40-40.png

Reactions: 2 people