Low carb dinner - good or bad weight loss plan?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
I am 18 years old, type one for about 3 years. At the moment I weight about 54 kg and my height is 170 cm. I've been trying to lose a bit of weight as my doctor said that my ideal weight would be 52 kilos. I eat 50-70 grams of carbs in the morning, 50 at lunch and 50 at dinner. I was wondering if I would cut back on all the carbs I consume at dinner, for about a week or two, would help me lose weight. What do you think? Have you tried this?
Thank you

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
E="s-s-i-i-c-c-k-k, post: 840818, member: 112373"]Hello!
I am 18 years old, type one for about 3 years. At the moment I weight about 54 kg and my height is 170 cm. I've been trying to lose a bit of weight as my doctor said that my ideal weight would be 52 kilos. I eat 50-70 grams of carbs in the morning, 50 at lunch and 50 at dinner. I was wondering if I would cut back on all the carbs I consume at dinner, for about a week or two, would help me lose weight. What do you think? Have you tried this?
Thank you[/QUOTE]
Hello :) why did your doctor tell you to loose weight? I think its perfect :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
E="s-s-i-i-c-c-k-k, post: 840818, member: 112373"]Hello!
Thank you
Hello :) why did your doctor tell you to loose weight? I think its perfect :)[/QUOTE]
Hi! Thanks for your relpy! He said I shouldn't go above 52. I was usually lower, at 47 kg. Now I just want to get back there :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know the pain of putting weight on after diagnosis. I was over 1.5 stones lighter four years ago :( Its a massive change and hard to accept, especially for women. Looking at your weight though, I think you are perfectly slim, and you don't have to worry for now. Instead of dieting, maybe you need some exercise to tone up and feel better. It will help with sugar levels too :)

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your current BMI is less than mine is normally (currently pregnant so I've obviously put on weight) and I'm slim. No-one has ever told me I need to,lose weight. They normally say the opposite!

I think you sound a good weight and certainly not in need of losing any. I don't know why your doctor said you should : /

Bear in mind too, you could be still growing. I grew taller between the ages of 17 and 19.

You're wise to keep an eye on your weight, but I honestly think you don't need to lose any, and could even put on a little and still be ok : )

Your BMI is 18.69 and a healthy BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 so be reassured you're a long way from overweight : )

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I will try to change my breakfast as you suggested :) I know it seems like I shouldn't lose weight, but I just felt better, way more energetic and with better blood sugars, when I was thinner. Thank you for the advice!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck :)

But do be careful. I used to think my normal weight was lower than it usually is now. I thought the diabetes had made me put on weight and got me above what I should be. However, it appears that my diabetes had crept up over time so was keeping my weight artificially low by not quite allowing my body to process food correctly. Yes, I felt more energetic, but apparently that was an adrenaline response.

Just concentrate on eating well and getting your insulin and sugars right and your weight will settle at the perfect level for you. :) You shouldn't have to diet at all.

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, Now I'm your doc :nurse: Listen to me... 54kg is perfect :bored:

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I will try to change my breakfast as you suggested :) I know it seems like I shouldn't lose weight, but I just felt better, way more energetic and with better blood sugars, when I was thinner. Thank you for the advice!

Don't listen to all these people, and don't listen to your doctor. For every person who tells you to loose weight there will always be someone who says you don't have too. In the end its what YOU WANT that counts. If someone says 'loose weight' and you agree then you should! If you don't agree, then don't.

This all about YOU, and in this thread you want to loose weight so here we go - Loosing weight is all about calories for the simplest understanding and most bang for your buck - reduce your calories at every meal and you will see weight loss. Roughly 3500 calories lost = 1lb, so if you eat 500 calories less every day then at the end of the week you will loose 1lb, ignoring everything else that is.

You can do this in two ways 1) eat less calories, and 2) burn the 500 calories by doing exercise (you can also do a combination of the two)

Also, you should be careful if you cut back on things for a short period, because yes you will loose the weight, but when you stop cutting back on stuff you will put that weight back on. You will need a permanent lifestyle change to alter your weight in the long run, so be mindful of that as well.

Do whatever makes you happiest!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My friend only got discharged from an eating disorder clinic with a BMI of 19.6 and with a 6 month stay..... Personally I would ensure that your blood levels stay good and that you eat a balanced, nutritional diet.

My friend who is not diabetic had levels under 3.0 consistently. This may have something to do with your levels being better when thinner.... But balance with good nutrition is esential.

My friend had to remain above 19.5 BMI for 8 weeks on a maintenance diet before being discharged... She looks ok now but when below this BMI her thoughts, her whole body was going in to shutdown. Even now I can tell when she hasn't been eating properly from her txts or talking.

It is not balanced to be thin..slim yes....thin no. Your body needs fat otherwise injections or cannulas may not go into the right layer of inner skin. Believe me, I have no fat. Just skin and it is not good.