Different diets confusion

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again, feel like I'm asking a million questions! Sorry

I'm a bit confused, can you tell me in simple terms what the difference is between lchf and the Newcastle diet please in terms of outcomes?

I understand one is a controlled way of eating and the other using meal replacements but what I'm trying to find out is do they both have the same results. I've read that some who have done NC have achieved long term controlled readings when they finished the 8 week course, is that the same for someone doing LCHF just over a longer period of time?

With NC some have 'cured' their diabetes but I don't hear the same for LCHF?

Hope I'm making sense because I'm confused! Is it the weight loss that makes it different?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
professor taylor said it doesn't matter as long as the weight is gone..both in the press
“A diet of 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day would achieve weight loss in most people.” http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/254652/Wonder-cure-for-diabetes
and in the Q&A at the this presentation
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

if you can't control what you eat..the drinks are good as you can't cheat on them.
unless you are morbidly obese and looking at immediate bariatric surgery...I think lchf is a safer way of doing it, as there are less side effects [gallstone risk etc] and you can eat this way for the rest of your life
there are lot's on normal BG with LCHF..the outcomes are the same, LCHF is slower. its the belly, liver and pancreas fat you need to get rid of ..any way you can. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhh I see. Thank you so much @jack412 and if I understand correctly it's the balance between getting to the right weight as well as managing the BG.

So if I understand correctly, either or either way you still have to consume a modified diet for life. For some reason I wondered if with the NC, one could eat certain complex carbs after finishing say rice, potatoes etc more so than them being permanently eliminated like with LCHF

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh I see. Thank you so much @jack412 and if I understand correctly it's the balance between getting to the right weight as well as managing the BG.

So if I understand correctly, either or either way you still have to consume a modified diet for life. For some reason I wondered if with the NC, one could eat certain complex carbs after finishing say rice, potatoes etc more so than them being permanently eliminated like with LCHF
There have been a few people here who have tried exactly that after the ND and with only one exception that I'm aware of (@Pipp) they have put weight back on, gone over their personal visceral fat threshold and then ended up with poor BG control again. So neither diet is a "get out of jail free" card. You still need to manage your weight for life or risk a return of diabetes symptoms.

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Some subscribe to the NC diet,. others to LCHF. There is no easy answer to that one at all. Weight loss is the key so no matter which way you go, that is the ultimate goal .... along with exercise of course. Unlike the statins debate, this is simply a choice .... I'd expect you'll know which one works for you so you can always jump across between the two.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you guys, I am currently going LCHF and was taking with the husband last night whether or not to go on the ND to get myself back to normal but I'm guessing that as I've been doing LCHF there is not much point right now unless it becomes hard to maintain

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good ..... stick with it, test, exercise and see the weight go down. Nothing against the ND at all from my perspective as I'd be open to anything if I had weight issues. To be honest, I got back in control thru sheer willpower and the advice of some GREAT people here. Can't say I run that 24/7 but I try. Ain't nuthin' like a helping hand and you know where that is. :)

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can spend a lifetime chasing thru the whole range of diets. Don't think diets but a permanent change of eating lifestyle. Think carbs not calories as diabetics are glucose intolerant. Keep the carbs down and the other food types such as protein, fats, veg and some fruits up. That does work for the great majority on this forum based on many posts.

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the appeal of ND is the speed of weight loss and the possibility that after 8 weeks your BG may have normalised.

But, as @Indy51 says, the risk of weight regain is massive, because there has been no food re-education. Portion size, healthier choices, etc.

It's all swings and roundabouts.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your responses they are very helpful:)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
From my perspective the two things are very different, with different targets.

The Newcastle Diet is a very low calorie diet with the aim of immediate rapid weight loss.
It was based on the diet used on morbidly obese people immediately before bariatric surgery.
The aim of the diet (before surgery) was to reduce the size of the liver so the surgeons could find the stomach.
As far as I know it is not a long term eating plan, but a diet aimed at rapid reduction in weight and especially in visceral fat.

A rapid loss of visceral fat shortly after diagnosis may reduce or remove diabetic symptoms.

After the rapid weight loss (and depending on how heavy and how hardy you are the diet can go on for more than 8 weeks, I understand) then the aim is to maintain a healthy weight.

This is where LCHF comes in - it is an effective maintenance diet to prevent weight gain and also is very good for diabetics as carbohydrates are the enemy (for most of us).

So - crash diet for rapid weight loss.
LCHF to keep the weight off and help BG control.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much @LittleGreyCat that definitely sense to me I've been toying the idea of the ND possibly late summer and that description is helpful as I would eat LCHF after as I am eating that now

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My plan is to LCHF to get as much weight as possible off. I'm 7lb down and have 21 to go to get me to a BMI of 24. If I struggle with the last few pounds or if I get to 24 BMI and my sugars are still higher than normal, then I intend to to do the ND in the hope of reducing my sugars further. I hope that by doing it this way, a good few weeks/months of LCHF will become my normal eating habits - therefore if I do decide to do ND and once I finish it, I will go back to the LCHF habits as this will have become the norm, rather than my previous heavy carby ones.

I may also considering having a liver scan before doing the ND so that I can see if I there is still any visceral fat to lose, once I've lost weight. Hopefully my GP/DN will refer me for one but if not I may consider paying privately - I believe a liver ultrasound scan is about £170. I don't fancy doing ND if there isn't any visceral fat left to lose! It's pretty unlikely though as I am very much apple shape - any excess weight goes straight on my stomach.