Hi from Japan

taubeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Taube (Toby) and I am 44 years old. This is my first time to join a forum. I'm happy this is a global forum and there seems to be so much support among members. I'm from the USA but have been living in Japan for 10 years with my husband. I was told that I was pre-diabetic about 10 years ago right before I moved to the land of rice and noodles. I didn't take it so seriously the first 5 years and enjoyed experiencing a new and wonderful culture through travel and food. Since then I've been trying to control it with diet and exercise.

One good thing since moving to Japan is my life is much more active, I dropped about 9kg/20 pounds. I don't own a car and ride a bike to work everyday and I sit at a desk for only part of my day. I also love to do yoga and take classes 2-3 times a week.

My main problem is controlling my diet. I try to eat well during the work week somewhat low-carb but on weekends I want to enjoy life with my friends and family. There are lots of snacks around my house and at my work so I often have some rice crackers, a little chocolate or a cookie. Part of Japanese culture is gift giving and it almost always comes in the form of food/snacks. I give it away to my roommates and husband, but it's still hanging around the house and at work and I often can't resist. Socializing and eating out is also tough and I love to try various foods. Sometimes, I want to take an all or nothing approach but I think moderation might work best for me.

Also within the past year, I realized that my numbers spike and dip right around my period. Hope that's not too much information, but that's been frustrating too because I can't seem to work out how to stabilize during that time of the month. When my numbers get too high or low, I feel dull, tired and sad. I've only been testing myself in the mornings and before or during exercise. Thinking I should test more often. I recently bought some books about diabetes so I'll try to read up on it some more.

The Japanese health care system won't pay for my meter and strips unless I'm diabetic. My doctor was surprised that I wanted my own meter so I had to insist on buying one from his clinic. Recently, I've noticed that his advice has changed and he is now telling me to cut back on carbs so hopefully prevention will become more important in Japan too. I visit my doctor every few months to get my A1C checked and my most recent number was 6.1. The numbers on my meter are different from the numbers for the members in this forum. Not sure how to convert it, but good numbers are below 110 and diabetic is over 126 on my meter. I will look for a converter so I can understand your comments and advice.

Anyway, I think that's everything. Sometimes I wish there was a set way of handling this but our bodies are like laboratories and we need to just keep testing and trying different methods until we can figure it out.

I appreciate your insight and help. Look forward to exploring the forum and meeting you.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Those numbers (when converted) are not that bad.

The rice and the noodles are the first things I'd target and then test again (and again) to see what your figures are. Lucky you in many respects .... I LOVED Japan. Wonderful place

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

taubeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice Mike. Yes, Japan is great. I am very fortunate.

I meant that over 110 is pre-diabetic and over 126 is diabetic based on the US standards. My numbers swing between 110 and 140 in the mornings and it can go way up and down from there the rest of the day. Will research the conversion when I get a chance.

By the way your numbers look great from 8.8 to 5.6 HBA1C in less than a year! What kind of diet do you follow? How about exercise?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks for the advice Mike. Yes, Japan is great. I am very fortunate.

I meant that over 110 is pre-diabetic and over 126 is diabetic based on the US standards. My numbers swing between 110 and 140 in the mornings and it can go way up and down from there the rest of the day. Will research the conversion when I get a chance.

By the way your numbers look great from 8.8 to 5.6 HBA1C in less than a year! What kind of diet do you follow? How about exercise?

Yep, got you on those points Almost guarantee it's your diet but please note that doesn't apply to everyone ... just call it my "hunch"

Here's the calculator link - http://en.mte.cz/conversion.php?mmol=&mg=140&count_it=1

Here's the chart - http://www.diabeteschart.org/mgmmol.html

Thank you for your kind comments re my figs. It was the drop from 8.8 to 6.5 in 3 months that astonished the doctor. I just kept it up.

My diet is bacon and eggs and spinach for breakfast, lunch is fish or turkey breast and dinner is lean meat and veg. NOTHING below ground (potatoes for example) no rice, no wheat, no starches, no pasta, no sweets, no sugars, no cakes, no soft drinks, no beer / Guiness .... nothing .....

I exercise thru walking (especially up and down stairs where I can do it) and keep pounding the pavement

Yoku tamochimasu :)

Last edited by a moderator:

taubeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack 412 - thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Mike - deep respect for that kind of commitment - very impressive. What about snacks? Do you snack between meals?

I have little willpower when it comes to food. However, I think this is a good time of year for me to tighten my control and move towards a stricter diet. There are no big events or holidays and I could start small and try for 2-3 weeks and then go from there - little steps.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jack 412 - thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Mike - deep respect for that kind of commitment - very impressive. What about snacks? Do you snack between meals?

I have little willpower when it comes to food. However, I think this is a good time of year for me to tighten my control and move towards a stricter diet. There are no big events or holidays and I could start small and try for 2-3 weeks and then go from there - little steps.

I feel humbled with comments such as those :) No, I do not snack at all. My breakfast is "largeish", my lunch small and my dinner as well.

I don't eat much at all but it keeps me going .... and I have NO idea why as I once ate a LOT more. If I HAD to, I'd grab a few slices of cheese as that is strongly recommended from others here that I happen to respect.

I work on my fasting BS always given they are the hardest to control .... the rest of (at least my) day works out fine.

Where are you in Japan? Been to all the islands and some of the most wonderful people on this planet :) We could learn a lot from their kindness and their respect for others.

Mike :)

Reactions: 3 people

taubeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the inspiration. There's so much diet info out there, sometimes it's overwhelming and I just keep reading and not doing. My way of prolonging what I suppose I don't really want to do, but know is necessary. I have been thinking that I've had my whole life to enjoy all kinds of foods, and it will be ok. When I have attempted a low-carb diet, I always feel great. I have basically stopped drinking juice, soda and alcohol and feel very comfortable going out and not drinking, Hopefully I can achieve that with food with going to restaurants and parties as well as resisting unhealthy snacks.

That's great you've been through most of Japan. It's definitely a place worth exploring. There are still a few more places I would like to visit too. Hokkaido is the only main island I haven't been to yet. I live in a small city called Himeji. It's famous for it's beautiful castle. Which just reopened last month after a 5 year restoration project using old construction techniques. The city has been dead these past 5 years, but within a month it's booming and there are tons of tourists. It's a beautiful city about 40 minutes from Kobe and an hour from Osaka along the main train lines. Hiroshima is a few hours away on the other side of us. Have you ever been to Himeji?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks for the inspiration. There's so much diet info out there, sometimes it's overwhelming and I just keep reading and not doing. My way of prolonging what I suppose I don't really want to do, but know is necessary. I have been thinking that I've had my whole life to enjoy all kinds of foods, and it will be ok. When I have attempted a low-carb diet, I always feel great. I have basically stopped drinking juice, soda and alcohol and feel very comfortable going out and not drinking, Hopefully I can achieve that with food with going to restaurants and parties as well as resisting unhealthy snacks.

That's great you've been through most of Japan. It's definitely a place worth exploring. There are still a few more places I would like to visit too. Hokkaido is the only main island I haven't been to yet. I live in a small city called Himeji. It's famous for it's beautiful castle. Which just reopened last month after a 5 year restoration project using old construction techniques. The city has been dead these past 5 years, but within a month it's booming and there are tons of tourists. It's a beautiful city about 40 minutes from Kobe and an hour from Osaka along the main train lines. Hiroshima is a few hours away on the other side of us. Have you ever been to Himeji?

I have actually ... isn't that amazing !!! Spent most of my time in Kumamoto (prefecture) Kyushu but did all the islands and used the Shinkansen. as my pen friend from the 70s had a father that worked for the (JNR) railways. Just a brilliant time in my life.

On my whole tour, I wore a military jacket (Swedish) simply because it was warm as toast but it had Australian brass buttons on it (thanks to mum who sewed them on) and I gave one of them to a young lady sharing the train seat opposite and simply said "Australia" and it was "stamped" on the button. My mate (Toshihiko Vemura) translated for me. I remember that moment than I do ANY other in my life. As the train departed after I got off, she waved to me. I waved back and even 40 years later, I miss what might have been

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello from another American and welcome to the forum! I come here daily and I am learning so much about how to control my T2 with diet. Everyone is so helpful, so you have come to the right place.

I find my numbers spike around my period, but it is because I tend to eat a few more carbs around that time. :rolleyes: I am four months into this diagnosis and still learning what I can eat and what I can't and how to survive PMS without falling off the rails. Some months are easier than others. I am 43 years old, so things are a bit wonky right now, compared to my 20's and 30's. Ahhh...the aging process.

The one thing that I have come to realize is that rice and noodles can no longer be a part of my diet. Sad, but true. On the bright side, substituting vegetables for the rice/pasta is a healthier option anyway, so I am a bit pleased DB has forced me to do that.

Looking forward to seeing you around here.

taubeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike - that's a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. Are you still in touch with your friend? When I was a kid, I lived in Tokyo and Okinawa for a total of five years (about 40 years ago as well). I am still friends with my very first pre-school friend from Tokyo. We lost touch for awhile but we managed to find each other again about 15 years ago. :)

RRB - Thanks for the encouragement and cute pic.

Angie - thanks for your advice! I'm super excited and happy that I joined this forum. I wondered if other people had discovered a correlation with their period and number spikes. I haven't found a lot of info about it on-line. But I will continue to try to work on it. Let me know if you come up with any good strategies.