Hello there! I am Fat Radio Man and Mr D just got me :(

Fat Radio Man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My home is in the UK and I am 55 years old. My parents and brother have been diabetic for over 30 years but I got diagnosed last month. My home is in the UK but I currently live in the Middle East. I am a carb loving vegetarian but am determined to live a normal life ...
appreciate any advise for a new kid n the block.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The advice is more advice ... from you. :)

What is your weight / BMI, your diet, your HBa1c? The "carb loving" bit interests me a bit so more detail is needed. Are you T1 or T2?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Are you receiving ......Good morning and welcome.
T2 T1?
Normal?
Never managed normal.
In fact I discourage my family especially grandchildren from even going there!
Advice is a bit difficult till you tell us T1 T2 what you're struggling with etc.

Wilko over and out ......

Fat Radio Man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The advice is more advice ... from you. :)

What is your weight / BMI, your diet, your HBa1c? The "carb loving" bit interests me a bit so more detail is needed. Are you T1 or T2?
167 cms, 85 kgs, have an allergy to mushroom and people without a sense of humour ;)

Fat Radio Man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
forgot to add - Type Two. My daughter calls me a Polar Bear - and I have a very sweet tooth - sadly now matched by my sweet blood !!!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome! Have a good read around, ask lots of questions- you will find excellent advice, information and support here! What was your hba1c?

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi, Welcome Radioman,
Normal gets subverted when "Mr D" jumps out on you, and the eating part of life will need to change
Vegetarian is harder than meat eating because most vegetable protein is associated with carbohydrate.
Your sweet tooth will need to change or at least adapt; I am fortunate, in that I have no strong cravings for cake unless someone's waving coffee and walnut cake under my nose.
Best thing is to get a meter, then you can test before and 2 hours after meals and see what spikes your BG.
Basmati & brown rice, bulghar wheat and quinoa seem to be better for not spiking me - but there are other posters on the site who have different responses and have little tolerance of these. Again I am fortunate that pulses do not seem to be disastrous for me. I have lost quite a bit of weight, and I now seem to be tolerating carbs better.
Sometimes, one day at a time helps.
Good luck
Adam