Any Help For Type 2 (insulin) British Expats Trying to Return to UK?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Does anyone know of any assistance for British Expats wanting to return to UK after 6+ years away. I'm now married with non EU wife.

My diabetes sickness is getting worse, numbers up and Dr told me yesterday I need to start taking insulin as my kidneys/liver are not good (prolonged oral/various med's).

Financially it's killing me with all the existing med's let alone adding insulin to the pay roll.

Anyone faced anything similar?

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of assistance had you in mind ? The prevailing sentiment isn't in favour of immigration so I doubt there'll be any grants on offer.

Do you have a UK passport ?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of assistance had you in mind ? The prevailing sentiment isn't in favour of immigration so I doubt there'll be any grants on offer.

Do you have a UK passport ?

I have a UK passport as I was born in UK. No, I'm not after grants or anything like that... I am sick, very unwell because of diabetes and being given wrong med's/instructions by some stupid Dr over here at the most expensive hospital in Manila... Disgrace..

Anyway, my wife is a local Filipino, been married 2 years and together over 4 years... She takes good care of me.. So i wanted to know is there any kind of special immigration under these kind of circumstances? How can the UK gov divide up families (especially that of sick people who are dependent of each other) utter disgrace...

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Your immediate entitlement to NHS care will depend where you have been living, where you have been "ordinarily resident" if you have retained a UK address, and a few other factors.

You may find the following link useful: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-to-improve-overseas-visitors-contributions-to-nhs-care

The rules changed this year.

Thank you... in my case it would be the following...

Returning to the UK to settle
Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.

It makes me sick when people who leave the UK to try and find better jobs/standard of living, who stand on their own two feet, pay all their own medical bills (which i have been doing for over 6-7 years, at great expense) get treated like criminals or tarred with the anti-immigration brush which seems to be sweeping through the UK currently...

I read The Mail online (i have to do something about that) and it reports that a UAE national who has been arrested/charged/imprisoned no less than 30+ times cannot be deported because he is an alcoholic and would be persecuted back in UAE or wherever it was he was from.... What a joke

I am a decent law-abiding British national who chose to marry my non EU wife, for this CRIME we are being persecuted by UK immigration/gov.

Definitely not right.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I could possibly agree that UK immigration policy is not as it should or could be. However the policy is as it is and it is that you need to manage, manage being the operative word, your coming back to the UK to live. For peace of mind you need to work with the system as it is else it will be very frustrating for you and your wife. Not good for your health either.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you... in my case it would be the following...

Returning to the UK to settle
Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.

It makes me sick when people who leave the UK to try and find better jobs/standard of living, who stand on their own two feet, pay all their own medical bills (which i have been doing for over 6-7 years, at great expense) get treated like criminals or tarred with the anti-immigration brush which seems to be sweeping through the UK currently...

I read The Mail online (i have to do something about that) and it reports that a UAE national who has been arrested/charged/imprisoned no less than 30+ times cannot be deported because he is an alcoholic and would be persecuted back in UAE or wherever it was he was from.... What a joke

I am a decent law-abiding British national who chose to marry my non EU wife, for this CRIME we are being persecuted by UK immigration/gov.

Definitely not right.

I have no wish to enter any discussion about the rights or wrongs of our system, but I have far less knowledge about non-EU persons. I'll tag @Fallgal as I know she has gone through the settling process, from the U.S., and commented upon it on another thread recently. Hopefully that might give you some clarity on your wife's situation, with differs from your own.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You are right. You know how this disease gets you sometimes, especially when your numbers are elevated.

Thank you for your honest response.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no wish to enter any discussion about the rights or wrongs of our system, but I have far less knowledge about non-EU persons. I'll tag @Fallgal as I know she has gone through the settling process, from the U.S., and commented upon it on another thread recently. Hopefully that might give you some clarity on your wife's situation, with differs from your own.

Thank you & good night from Manila :)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya. I am a US citizen so unfortunately, I have no knowledge of immigration (of your wife) from the Philippines nor of returning as an ex-pat, as my husband has never resided anywhere but England. Rules change all the time, and I know the immigration process changed considerably after July 2012, which now requires a 10-year path to British citizenship for US citizens (and probably other non-EU citizens). We have already spent over £4,000 in visa and related fees, and had to complete an utterly ridiculous amount of paperwork and amass a very specific pile of documentation to 'prove' the validity of our relationship and I am on the shorter, pre-2012 path. Special situations are sometimes considered, but they must be extraordinarily special. Unfortunately, yes, immigration rules can break up families, at least short-term, with financial/employment requirements of the sponsor (you) often being the hardest hurdle. I don't want to quote figures and time frames because again, I know it only from a USA perspective, and as previously stated, the rules and fees change often.

The only thing I can suggest is to go to www.uk-yankee.com and search for a member named KSand. Although that forum is specifically for UK/USA immigration, KSand is a bit of an immigration expert, and could probably lead you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya. I am a US citizen so unfortunately, I have no knowledge of immigration (of your wife) from the Philippines nor of returning as an ex-pat, as my husband has never resided anywhere but England. Rules change all the time, and I know the immigration process changed considerably after July 2012, which now requires a 10-year path to British citizenship for US citizens (and probably other non-EU citizens). We have already spent over £4,000 in visa and related fees, and had to complete an utterly ridiculous amount of paperwork and amass a very specific pile of documentation to 'prove' the validity of our relationship and I am on the shorter, pre-2012 path. Special situations are sometimes considered, but they must be extraordinarily special. Unfortunately, yes, immigration rules can break up families, at least short-term, with financial/employment requirements of the sponsor (you) often being the hardest hurdle. I don't want to quote figures and time frames because again, I know it only from a USA perspective, and as previously stated, the rules and fees change often.

The only thing I can suggest is to go to www.uk-yankee.com and search for a member named KSand. Although that forum is specifically for UK/USA immigration, KSand is a bit of an immigration expert, and could probably lead you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There normally doesn't seem anyway to avoid the necessity for an minimum income ,though capital and your pension can be taken into account.
If you were in the UK and sick enough to be granted carers/attendance allowance then the rules seem to be waived. (but that's just my reading of it.You need advice from a lawyer)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK
There is a link to an enormous forum thread about the subject

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
As I told you before my partner is also Filipina. After allowing the NHS to bring over 5000 Filipino nurses (and some of their familes) to the UK over a period of about 18 months and thus crippling the Philippine healthcare sytem in the process, the Home Office effectively closed the door behind them.

It is now hard for Asians (generally) to come in and this has deliberately been made even tougher since we were forced to open up our borders to East Europeans. Now so many East European nurses and carers have come here, that many Filipinos are finding that the Home Office is refusing to renew work permits and visas, many of them are now heading off to Canada and Australia (where they get higher pay anyway.)

My partner applied for indefinite leave to remain and we ended up fighting the Home Office in court. In her particular case the judge told the legal representatives of the Home Office that they were being 'unreasonable' and suggested that they 'reconsider their position'. The Home Office subsequently backed down. She has since successfully applied for British Citizenship.

Being married, they may show you some leniency. But make sure that you have all your papers in order, photos of the ceremony etc. It doesn't take much for them to reject an application and they are not legally obliged to give you back your £900 (or whatever it is now) when you fail. The costs soon mount up.