What's the average HbA1c result?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Cugila,
I did think about about the source of the stats. They come in the introduction. Its not clear but I don't think that they can come from the survey itself... which only included people judged by their doctors as having poor control. I think they come from the papers referenced in the text. I certainly wouldn't want to claim them as being definitive.
:)

added, this is silly I've got to make dinner or we won't get any!
but I found this from 2006
Two thirds of people with Type 2 diabetes in the UK are above recommended clinical targets. 9 Furthermore, findings from an audit presented at the Diabetes UK Annual Conference in March showed average HbA1c levels were 7.84%, 7.44% and 7.86% in England , Wales , and Scotland respectively. 10
apparently data presented at a DUK conference
http://www.countrydoctor.co.uk/education/Education - Glycaemic control.htm

DavidR

cueball0791 said:
...I would like to know the demographics of the average HbA1c results. Maybe this would also give some indication of why the national average is so high.

A demographic breakdown of the figures I quoted earlier. Approx Type 2/Type 1 split is 9:1.

Attachments

• HbA1c Demographics.gif
    HbA1c Demographics.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,903

increasingly cynical

Dear DavidR,

A real insight to see figures! Thank you. Can you split these averages intoType 2 vs Type 1 / LADA ? Is there also, if its not too much trouble, any chance to split the results by treatment/non-treatment (diet?)

Thanks!

:D

DavidR

increasingly cynical said:
A real insight to see figures! Thank you. Can you split these averages intoType 2 vs Type 1 / LADA ? Is there also, if its not too much trouble, any chance to split the results by treatment/non-treatment (diet?)
Lies, **** lies, and statistics. Unfortunately I don't have full details of all our diabetics because not all of them attend their annual (or more frequent) clinics; nor do hospitals always forward the complete details of any clinics they have with a patient. Out of this (incomplete) dataset I have to try and extract enough evidence to get the NHS to pay us; but that's another story on another forum! So whilst I could search for the treatment data I am fairly sure it wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on as it would be incomplete.

However I did find some T1/T2 HbA1c figures (not directly comparable with the numbers published above) produced at the beginning of this month:

The Type 1 demographic split:

The Type 2 demographic split:

Interestingly, looking at the demographics for those who did NOT have a HbA1c in the last year then it's the Type 1 males and the Type 2 females who must do better next year :)

Attachments

• HbA1c Numbers.gif
    HbA1c Numbers.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,867
  • HbA1c T1 Demographics.gif
    HbA1c T1 Demographics.gif
    8 KB · Views: 1,802
  • HbA1c T2 Demographics.gif
    HbA1c T2 Demographics.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,784

rkeane

Hi,
Been told by that below 7 is doing well. I've was diagnosed last year and my levels have come in at 6.5, 6.3 and 6.9. I am strict with myself but still love my glasses of wine and pizza at least once a week. I have seen that some people are below 6. I would love to get that so I'll just keep trying!!

inwales

totsy said:
our gp surgery say anything under 7.5, i was told that they do hardly have any diabetics that are in single numbers,
my last one in feb 09 was 5.9, one before 7.8, one before 7.2 :D

How did they react to your result?

It proves that if you take control of your life anything is possible.