Raw Diet

jackbeard

Hi,
I was diagnosed with type 2 15 months ago and was given the drug Metformin 500 to take 3 times daily. The side affects were very dramatic and I cringed every time I took one. With the view to somehow reverse this affliction I searched and searched the good old internet and found many references to diabetes and raw food. So I bought a couple of books and overnight became a 100% raw vegan.

I've been 100% raw for 9 months now and I'm happy to say I'm totally free of the drug and my sugar is completely normal. I eat lots of raw greens which I make into smoothies with a little fruit to make it more palatable and even take a little raw honey which doesn't seem to have any adverse affect. The only thing that makes my sugar jump is carrots so I try and avoid them.

I just thought I would share this with you all and who knows perhaps there are others out there willing to do the same. There is a lot of evidence that this diet works and it could be for others a life changing experience as it has been for me.

Best regards,

Jack

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Jack, Good for you - its great when people do their own research and look for answers. I wonder what your GP's reaction is to your success?

I hope you continue to thrive on the vegan diet - several other posters have also taken the same route very successfully. I am sure that your post will raise quite a few comments and questions. Would you mind answering anyone who would like more information? I am sure your experiences will make you a valuable contributor.

As I am sure you are aware diabetes is progressive and should you ever reach a point in the future where you do need some additional treatment, there is a slow release metformin called Glucophage SR that is a great deal kinder on the stomach and seems to have a less violent impact than metformin sometimes has! I gather it costs a great deal more than standard metformin which is why GPs are sometimes reluctant to offer it as an alternative.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far you can go."
-T.S. Eliot

good luck jack :wink:

I also try to do as much raw as possible! I sprout - my kitchen worktop is full of the things and is driving my partner to distraction!

What I am finding difficult is deciding whether to do raw with lots of fruit or with lots of fat - so essentially low carb. Love my fruit but am sure it makes me crave starch/junk like mad when I eat too much of it. Probably candida issue??? Do seem to feel more stable with a lot of a nuts/avocados/seeds but struggle to get the calories in...

how do other raw-ish people manage best? I'm type 1 by the way...

inwales

curlyheadfreak said:
I also try to do as much raw as possible! I sprout - my kitchen worktop is full of the things and is driving my partner to distraction!

What I am finding difficult is deciding whether to do raw with lots of fruit or with lots of fat - so essentially low carb. Love my fruit but am sure it makes me crave starch/junk like mad when I eat too much of it. Probably candida issue??? Do seem to feel more stable with a lot of a nuts/avocados/seeds but struggle to get the calories in...

how do other raw-ish people manage best? I'm type 1 by the way...

Ideal to come and graze in your kitchen then! Berries are the best with fruit. A low glycemic load.
Eat a few nuts before the fruit, walnuts; brazils or almonds(my fave superfood)

Get the blender going... http://www.giveittomeraw.com

Dipstick

I saw the post on Raw Diet and how (can't see screen and can't remember the name Jack?) and I have recently begun this diet in an effort to get my sugars (type 2) under control. My morning sugar is never less than 8 and I don't quite know how to control this. I have been diabetic for 10 years and the sugars are slowly climbing.

I would be glad to hear from anyone who is doing this diet or who has suggestions for gettin gthe fasting sugar under control as it affects the rest of the day.

badmedisin

Just out of curiosity, do you have to supplement amino acids or are you allowed to eat tofu or something? I heard that one of the essential amino acids (the ones your body can't make) is only in meat and tofu, apparently that's what made my stepsister get so ill when she first went veggie and didn't replace the meat with any useful protein. Just wondering how you all manage this?
Thanks!

inwales

Dipstick said:
I saw the post on Raw Diet and how (can't see screen and can't remember the name Jack?) and I have recently begun this diet in an effort to get my sugars (type 2) under control. My morning sugar is never less than 8 and I don't quite know how to control this. I have been diabetic for 10 years and the sugars are slowly climbing.

I would be glad to hear from anyone who is doing this diet or who has suggestions for gettin gthe fasting sugar under control as it affects the rest of the day.

What do you eat at night and how late? What excercise do you take?

Si

inwales

badmedisin said:
Just out of curiosity, do you have to supplement amino acids or are you allowed to eat tofu or something? I heard that one of the essential amino acids (the ones your body can't make) is only in meat and tofu, apparently that's what made my stepsister get so ill when she first went veggie and didn't replace the meat with any useful protein. Just wondering how you all manage this?
Thanks!

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/raw_food.php

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/proteincontroversy.html

I take a vegan supplement and B-complex vits.

Most vegetables are excellent sources of protein, especially the
green leafy ones, and the problem is most people don't eat enough
greens.
1200 calories of raw broccoli supply a whopping 131 grams of
protein. 1200 calories of romaine lettuce supply about 136 grams.
Now granted, that's alot of greens, but it makes a very important
point. Oranges supply about 24 grams per 1200 calories. SO you
can see that vegetables are very high in protein. SO if you want
more protein in your diet, eat a little less fruit and eat lots
more greens. You will still need fruit in order to supply the
energy for your workouts, but eat lots of greens.

inwales

Oops meant to add this. Of course being diabetic Green Jiuces and smoothies are much better.

http://www.therawfoodcoach.com/frequently_asked_questions.php

Question #3:
Where do you get your protein?

"First of all, let's be clear that we are not eating protein per se, but amino acids which combine together to create protein. So as long as we are eating a good quantity and quality of food (ideally organic as standard) and eat a wide variety of foods in the necessary amounts, then our protein needs should be more than adequately met.

There are 22 amino acids that our body needs to thrive - or at least that is what science has identified to date (we must always remember that nutrition is not yet a complete science and may well never be). Eight of these are termed "essential amino acids" because the body cannot manufacture them itself and therefore needs to obtain them from food. In a raw vegan diet, the best and most concentrated sources of amino acids come from those food groups listed below, although protein is present in every living thing, so not getting enough, while not impossible, is generally difficult!

Green Leafy Vegetables ~ Nuts ~ Seeds ~ Sprouted Grains ~ Sprouted Beans

And some good examples of foods from each of these food groups are:
Spinach, kale, broccoli, sprouted wild rice, carob, cacao, oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds (linseed), sprouted wheat, sprouted buckwheat, sprouted soya beans, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, hemp seeds, hemp protein powder (excellent), sprouted quinoa, mung beans, lentils, aduki, chickpeas etc, bee pollen, spirulina, E3 Live, Pure Synergy, maca, avocado, and many more - so plenty of choice!

If you eat dairy produce, the cleanest source widely available in the UK that I currently know of is Emmental Organic Cheese which is available in the organic dairy section in Tesco. This is unpasteurised cheese so is a raw food, but not vegan.

Raw Protein Facts & Figures
The RDA of protein for an adult female is cited as being somewhere between 45g and 50g per day, with an additional 25g required when breastfeeding. For adult males the figures cited stretches between 45g and 65g per day, depending on who you listen to. More protein is needed by those especially active or athletes.

Our bodies recycle approximately 80% of our protein; cooked protein is denatured and largely unusable, thus our protein need may very well be far lower than what is taught by conventional dietetics.

35g of bee pollen can satisfy one man's protein requirements for a whole day - it contains more protein per gram than meat or fish.

High Protein Content Vegan Raw Foods
1 cup sprouted lentils = 49g
1 cup haricot beans (navy) = 46g
1 cup sprouted aduki beans (adzuki) = 39g
1 cup broad beans (fava) = 39g
1 cup sprouted black eye beans (cowpea) = 39g
1 cup sprouted chickpeas = 38g
1 cup peanuts = 37g
1 cup pumpkin seeds = 33g
1 cup sunflower seeds = 32g
1 cup almonds = 28g
1 cup oats = 26g
1 cup sprouted wheat = 21g

So, with all this new info now under your belt, hopefully you feel confident that it's not hard to get enough protein at all! The key, as you can see, is to eat sprouts every day - especially if you are trying to eat low fat - and to eat lots of greens (which are about 1-2g protein per cup) with them. An avocado - most raw fooders great love - offers 4g of protein per fruit, not great, but it all adds up. (Many raw fooders eat 3+ avocadoes per day, which equates to a quarter of an individuals protein needs before anything else has even been eaten.)

My final and potentially most useful piece of advice is to visit Fitday.com. Here you can enter what you have eaten in a day and get a reading for the fat, protein, carbs and calories eaten that day. It also shows you what percentage of your daily intake comes from where - very enlightening!

So, a lot of info here but I hope you feel confident enough now that you can indeed receive adequate protein on a raw food diet. Naturally as a first stop I would recommend that you get sprouting those seeds and beans and check out fitday.com to see how you are faring so far. Then it's just a case of further exploration and refinement until you find what works for you."

neo_crone

1200 calories of raw broccoli supply a whopping 131 grams of
protein. 1200 calories of romaine lettuce supply about 136 grams.
Now granted, that's alot of greens, but it makes a very important
point.
1200kc worth of raw broccoli is not just a lot of greens, it is 3.53 Kilos / 7.76 lbs. That is an unfeasible amount to expect anyone to eat, without busting their guts with wind, and distending their stomach to uncomfortable proportions. It won't provide you with 131g of protein either, it will yield just under 100g. Thats not complete protein of course, its mostly glutamic acid. 1200kc of romaine lettuce is over 7 kilos, and yields about 86g of protein. These are not foods that anyone, eating normal portions, would obtain sufficent protein from. 100g of romaine is a lot on the plate. That would get me 1.23g of protein - barely worth counting. The carb counts would be much higher than the protein of course, and that is what counts for a diabetic. 1200kc of romaine would deliver a whopping 230g of carbs, and 1200kc of broccoli would deliver a similar amount, 234g.

neo_crone

35g of bee pollen can satisfy one man's protein requirements for a whole day - it contains more protein per gram than meat or fish.
Well now lets see about that. Meat and fish are around 24% protein by weight. Pollen appears to have around the same. So 35g of pollen would yield just under 9g of protein. Are you seriously proposing that 9g of protein a day is sufficient for a man? Remember that recommendations for protein consumption are .8 - 1g per kg of lean body weight. I personally aim for 80g a day, and thats for a short but muscular woman who works out. Your 35g of pollen would get me just over 11% of my daily requirements.