Can someone please help me????

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Other
Hello all my friend is a type 2 diabetic we are going on a hen weekend soon and im trying to find what alcoholic drinks she will be alright drinking.
Anyone able to help me?
Many thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Red wine, dry white wine, any spirits with diet mixers, not liqueurs - cocktails usually need to be avoided as full of sugar, beers and lagers can be difficult. What does your friend usually drink? - for me if I was going on a long session like a hen night rather than a couple of drinks with friends I would have dry white wine and soda alternated with just a glass of soda - everything in moderation is the key - have a good time on your night out

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
on the other hand if it is to be a wild fling of abandonment I would suggest tequila shots as a back up plan !!!

rum and diet coke , gin and slimline tonic , bloody mary's ( vodka and tomato juice ) spring to mind

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypos
Hey I'm type 2 diabetic and have just recently been on a cracking night out.

I'm 23 so I look after myself....until the jägerbombs kick in.

I started my with amaretto and diet coke and a jäger but after it kicked in forgot to say diet.

I would say it depends on her personal average blood glucose levels.
Mines like 7.5 - 10 - I went overboard the other night and I was fine diabetes wise. However I used to always have cocktails but I avoid them now due to them being sugar bombs.
Apparently spirits like vodka and gin are better then Malibu and amaretto. Stick to diet drinks and she'll be fine I'd say x

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are a diabetic, I would not recommend booze. But if you must indulge; then the points to be noted [even for non-T2D] for hen weekend parties:

1. Watch the rate of consumption. Take it easy, consume very very little in each sip; take long time complete each drink; move around with your glass or mug or whatever it is - talk to different folks. Take some solid food in between the sips. By doing this, your body will be able to manage whatever your consume. Better to take 40 min to down 250ml of drink is safe. Usually most young patrons just take under 4 or 5 min to down 250ml stuff; some take up to 10min. Do not do that!

2. Take plain water in between. This is very important. In other words, rotate between drink and water. It is NOT same as mixing your drink with water or dilution. Even with the water; take long time between sips.

3. In any case; say a firm NO after downing third drink. You can pretend that you are already high. Three drinks in a night is too much even for healthy folks. Read about the limits of taking alcohol while trying lose weight. A lot of stuff is there on internet.

IMHO, going to party is all about enjoying, having fun; but definitely not for getting high, losing control, or throwing up what you downed.

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
if you have two weeks time before going to the party - then consider doing HIIT (if not obese & in good shape) 1 minute of running, 1 minute of walking; morning and evening. 15 days of cardio will improve insulin resistance, will drop the body weight a little. Then you can enjoy whatever you want to do.

Imp Point: doing exercise does not mean that one can eat or drink carelessly. You cannot out-train any bad diet. Any form of alcohol, slows down system.

christi99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all my friend is a type 2 diabetic we are going on a hen weekend soon and im trying to find what alcoholic drinks she will be alright drinking.
Anyone able to help me?
Many thanks
Avoid beer, mixed drinks (with high sugar liquors and fruit juices)!! And well, may not be the best health advice but I have always been told that spirits - like vodka, bourbon, gin, tequila, whiskey are lowest sugar/carbs. Adding sparking water, ice, lime, lemon so not as concentrated would be best. Maybe alternate with sparking water so there isn't the dehydration that occurs with drinking and DM while still holding something which can be socially important to feel comfortable. Moderation is always the key (to dietary choices and drinks). Also look at labels- it is AMAZING how much sugar (in many forms) are added to our food or drinks that may not even taste that sweet! There is sometimes more sugar in dry wines and sake than ones that taste sweeter- the acidity masks the sugar content.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To some of you party poopers above, unless she is on a med like gliclazide then as long as she has food along the way, then wine and spirits with diet mixers will be fine.

For my birthday recently I had a skin full including Jack Daniel and diet coke, white wine and Ouzo and a fairly low carb meal. My blood sugar was the best it had been for ages the following morning.

If she is on metformin, you need to be aware of the very rare problem of lactic acidosis when drinking http://diabetes.emedtv.com/metformin/metformin-and-lactic-acidosis.html so just be aware of the symptoms listed on this link.

I go away on trips with my friend (this is when I do most of my drinking), she is aware and looks after me. It doesn't stop me drinking though.

Reactions: 2 people