Coventry - Insulin Pump

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you with a hospital consultant? Do you meet the NICE guidelines?

Some hospitals are more willing than others. Best thing to do is to check that you are a patient that could be considered for one and ring round all your hospitals and ask the switchboard whether they have diabetic pump clinics. You don't have to give your name or details.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldC

I'm in Rugby at the St. Cross hospital for diabetic care. They're keen on pumps there (although I got my pump in Stafford). You are quite at liberty to change the hospital for your care to anywhere that'll give you a pump. You need to prove a few things though before they'll risk giving you one:
1) You've got to be able to carb count. A DAFNE course will prove this.
2) You've got to be doing 5-6 blood tests a day, and be competent at correction doses.
3) You've got to be knowledgeable about pumping, and assure them that you don't think it's going to be some automatic machine to look after your diabetes.
Rugby is keen on Roche pumps (as was Stafford) See if you can get yourself an Accu-chek Aviva blood test meter, it's basically the same as the Aviva combo, which you'll be using for your pump. It'll also show your consultant and DSN you're serious about it.

LittleFragge

I'm under the hospital and I'm seeing my consultant next month and thinking of asking, I already test 4 times a day at a minimum, I carb count been on a course and use the carbs and cals app, but I still struggle to keep my hba1c down, no matter what I do, keep getting down phononamom and I either have highs or hypos in the night, can get a balance. Thank for the info about the Roche and Aviva x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi not sure what your personal circumstances are but you score points if you lose hypo awareness and if female and trying for a baby they score you on this, but more than anything they want to see that you are making every effort to improve your HbA1c. It can take a while for anything to happen and then you will need to be trained and it takes time to adapt with the settings and doses, a lot of work needs to go in at the front end in adjusting, recording and liasing with your team but the results will reflect the effort you put in. I haven't got one but am being considered and been told all this by my DSN, I am not counting on getting one as I am way down the list but am still hopeful..

Tallpaul79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm under rugby St cross (same trust as UHCW) and it took me around two years to finally get my pump from first asking about it. Ask the question as has been said above, they are keen n people using pumps as a trust.

Reactions: 2 people