Metformin Trouble after 4 years?

bigalxyz

Hello forum.

I've been taking metformin for about 4 years following T2 diagnosis. Initially 3 x 500mg daily, reduced about a year ago to 2 x 500mg daily.

My latest blood test showed HbA1c at 5.4%, which I like. Started out at over 9%.

HOWEVER...

When I first started with the metformin I had stomach troubles - cramps, feeling bloated, wind, diarrhoea, etc. It cleared up after about 6 weeks though - but in the last 3 months or so I've started suffering from very similar symptoms again. It's now every bit as bad as it was in 2011, and pretty debilitating - there are days when I can barely do anything, such is the discomfort.

I noticed it first when I was on holiday in Thailand in January, so I assumed I'd picked up a nasty bug. However, when I got home, my hospital took some samples which they said were normal - nothing untoward. And yet the stomach upset hasn't gone away and is still giving me trouble more than 2 months later.

Appointment with GP booked but he's not available until next week. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts/advice in the mean time.

Tempted to drop down to 1 x 500mg daily, or maybe stop altogether just for a few days, to see if it helps.

I gather there's a slow release formulation which can sometimes help with this. May ask GP about this next week.

Grateful for any assistance...

Thanks,
Alan.

Al44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alan,
I too have been taking Metformin, for about 8 years following T2 diagnosis, initially 3 x 500mg daily; since when my HbA1c has varied 5.9 to 6.4

About 4 years ago I started having stomach problems, mostly diarrhoea, stopped taking Metformin for about a week, problems stopped.

Then early last year (2014) similar problems resumed with increasing frequency until diarrhoea twice a week; stopped the Metformin for a week or more several times but each time I resumed Metformin the problems started again.

So 1st Jan 2015, on my own initiative, I stopped the Metformin for longer, until mid-March, by which time my fasting blood glucose level had risen to above the level at which I was put on Metformin originally (always a little above 8mmol/L) at which point I resumed Metformin, but only 2 x 500mg daily. My fasting blood glucose level improved, but not down to the level last year.

HOWEVER, I've not had ANY stomach problems all year so far - this is quite unusual for me.

On visiting my GP about 4 weeks ago about another matter I mentioned the Metformin/diarrhoea problems of last year, and also that I'd resumed just 2 x 500mg daily; immediately she suggested I try Prolonged Release Metformin 1000mg, one nightly.
Been on it 2½ weeks now, no problems, and the fasting blood glucose has improved further, but awaiting confirmation by the next HbA1c in about 8 weeks or so. So far my experience with the prolonged release Metformin is positive - I like it, and taking it after my 'main' meal of the day seems a good idea. But I believe it is more expensive, and the NHS is not flush!
Aldo.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are the metformin tablets the same generic brand? I used to get problems when the pharmacy gave me a different generic brand. I changed pharmacy to one that has the same brand all the time.

I can't eat wheat and take metformin, so this could be something you could try cutting out to see if it makes a difference.

Sylvan

Hello forum.

I've been taking metformin for about 4 years following T2 diagnosis. Initially 3 x 500mg daily, reduced about a year ago to 2 x 500mg daily.

My latest blood test showed HbA1c at 5.4%, which I like. Started out at over 9%.

HOWEVER...

When I first started with the metformin I had stomach troubles - cramps, feeling bloated, wind, diarrhoea, etc. It cleared up after about 6 weeks though - but in the last 3 months or so I've started suffering from very similar symptoms again. It's now every bit as bad as it was in 2011, and pretty debilitating - there are days when I can barely do anything, such is the discomfort.

I noticed it first when I was on holiday in Thailand in January, so I assumed I'd picked up a nasty bug. However, when I got home, my hospital took some samples which they said were normal - nothing untoward. And yet the stomach upset hasn't gone away and is still giving me trouble more than 2 months later.

Appointment with GP booked but he's not available until next week. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts/advice in the mean time.

Tempted to drop down to 1 x 500mg daily, or maybe stop altogether just for a few days, to see if it helps.

I gather there's a slow release formulation which can sometimes help with this. May ask GP about this next week.

Thanks,
Alan.

Hi Alan
I also had stomach problems caused by the Metformin.

I've been taking the slow release formulation for about two years now and although it has helped slightly with the 'bug' type symptoms I still get awful feelings of nausea. I was very tempted to stop taking it altogether but my GP pointed out that it can actually help with appetite control so, me being a vain female, decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. My GP has had me taking it at different times of day, with food, without food etc etc and we've now settled on taking it immediately after my main meal

To be honest I haven't really noticed any difference regarding appetite or nausea, but I am persisting, for now

Good luck

Sylvie

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please make sure you are also tested for Vitamin B12 deficiency (preferably also folate and iron) as long term metformin use can interfere with nutrient absorption.

jimsboss

Hello forum.

HOWEVER...

Thanks,
Alan.
Hi Bigaxyz, I had very similar history with Metformin as you 3 years ago. In the end I was stopped by my GP from taking the drug and given other drugs. After a HbA1c check up with my Diabetics nurse I was put back onto Metformin but cautioned not to take it unless i was eating. Never take it without food. I'm now on 1.5g per day (x3 500mg). I'm also on Forxic (not sure of the spelling on that one!) & Gliclazide. I've been on insulin for 6 weeks now and my bg is between 7.5 and 9.9 first thing in the morning. A lot better than previous when I was on Metformin alone. My nurse says that if the next HbA1c test shows a drop then I will possibly drop one of the other drugs. However, once you start into insulin, there's no turning the clock back!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bigaxyz, I had very similar history with Metformin as you 3 years ago. In the end I was stopped by my GP from taking the drug and given other drugs. After a HbA1c check up with my Diabetics nurse I was put back onto Metformin but cautioned not to take it unless i was eating. Never take it without food. I'm now on 1.5g per day (x3 500mg). I'm also on Forxic (not sure of the spelling on that one!) & Gliclazide. I've been on insulin for 6 weeks now and my bg is between 7.5 and 9.9 first thing in the morning. A lot better than previous when I was on Metformin alone. My nurse says that if the next HbA1c test shows a drop then I will possibly drop one of the other drugs. However, once you start into insulin, there's no turning the clock back!
This is absolutely not true if you are a Type 2. There are many lifestyle/dietary interventions that can be tried.