Injecting in Public

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I go out to eat I always inject in the ladies toilet, however when I saw my DSN for a check up earlier today she was rather horrified that I do this and said it was acceptable to inject at the restuarant table.

But my question is I get in a flap anyway jabbing myself in the toilet so how the hell does everyone manage to do it discreetly? :D

I generally wear trousers when out and about and somehow the idea of unzipping them, poking a bit of belly fat out to jab myself just doesn't sit right with me!!

Unless you peeps inject through your clothes maybe in the thigh?

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

chocoholic

Aha, you've yet to learn about slightly too big trouser waistbands. :lol: (A bonus of those reduced carbs. I found). When trousers are a bit 'slippy' it allows for the waistband to be pulled down just enough to grab a bit of flesh and inject easily. I refuse to inject in public toilets.Folks don't even notice me jabbing at the table and if they do and don't like it....tough...their problem. :wink:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ok, i always wear trousers/jeans ,when i inject in my tummy i just shove my waistband down a bit and stab lol, easy peasy :D

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have only done this a few times yet but have injected at the table - no problem. If others dont like it - tough!! :lol:

Jude

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I inject through the material, do it into my thigh, have done it in a restaurant whilst on a date and my companion didn't even notice!

willogs

I do it where ever I am, If you don't make a big deal about it no one notices. My family are used to me now, even though my dad does go a bit green everytime!!!

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Wow! You guys are really brave!! I always go to the loos to inject. I'm not sure I'd have the bottle to do it at the table - what if some one complained?? Ugh, I couldn't deal with it. I can see the issue though. Establishment toilets are rarely the most sanitary of places.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
acron^ said:
Wow! You guys are really brave!! I always go to the loos to inject. I'm not sure I'd have the bottle to do it at the table - what if some one complained?? Ugh, I couldn't deal with it. I can see the issue though. Establishment toilets are rarely the most sanitary of places.

I too inject when I want and wherever I want. Not brave, just a fact of life.

I have had someone complain. They get short shrift from me. They are the ones with a problem, not me. Just don't make a big thing about it, be discrete.

As someone on here once stated, if someone collapses in a bar or similar and the paramedics turn up to render first aid and that called for an injection. Should they be told to drag that person to the loo to inject. I know what their response would be.

As for using toilets ?? The most unhygenic place you can think of. Ugh !!

Ken.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Chances are, if you don't make a big deal about it, nobody else will either. You will very occasionally encounter people who complain, but that's their problem not yours. They're quite easily dispatched with an acerbic one-liner! :wink:

Sweet3x

I used to use the loos in a place, until when working as a waitress in a fish and chip restaurant (yes, a waitress!), I noticed a girl injecting herself discretely at the table. This was when it wasn't pens, but needles and syringes. That gave me the guts to try it myself, and I've not looked back :) With the pens nowadays, it's even less obvious :)

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
hi it was so good to read these last posts i have always gone to the loo to inject afraid of having any complaints i had never thought of lack of hygeine in loos your all right from now on im going to inject at table discreetly thanks

tyroneshoelaces

If all of us were to rip our tops off, jump up on the table and shout 'look at this everyone', it would still be acceptable. Well, maybe not, but the poster who said it was the other guy's problem is spot on: I think there's the same debate about breast feeding - it's perfectly natural and necessary. Why should we hide ourselves away to inject? It only takes a few seconds and those who don't want to see it have only to avert their eyes. It's a big fuss over nothing. Oh, and Fiona, I bet you've got lovely tummy fat!

Liberty

Dislikes
Too many to mention! I'm a fussy mare!
Hi,
I've only been diagnosed since December 2008 and took a long time to get used to it all. I used to go and find a quiet corner somewhere to inject but now i just do it wherever. I feelquite comfortable injecting at the table. Last weekend I was at my local horse show (weird to be there as a spectator rather than a competitor but I'm sure I'll be competing again soon) anyway, I injected at the ringside and nobody noticed.I do feel more comfortable if I'm among friends but yesterday i was out on my own and injected whilst at the bus stop. I still wish I didn't have to but I wont let it rule my life!

Tara

RebeccaSmith

I love injecting in public haha, everyone stares, and some girl recently stared at me, gasped loudly and had her eyes wide open. It's brilliant. It makes people aware of the illness, and that's a good thing. Just give it a jam through your trousers and into your thigh :) Nothing better than a bit of mystery in public.

badmedisin

Absolutely - I get endless amusement from injecting in public. Sadly I never get the attention I feel I'm entitled to! I hate insulin pens so I still use syringes, and for some reason no-one ever thinks I'm a junkie or anything.

On the whole, no-one cares. Most people aren't looking, they've got their own stuff to concentrate on. And if they are looking, so what? Why do we need to worry about the approval or otherwise of complete strangers in restaurants? I truly don't understand why anyone cares. It's not like you're doing anything shameful. There is no way I would ever inject in a restaurant toilet - it's bad enough having to pee in them! I've always injected at the table, and only one person has ever commented. I used to keep all my kit in a little tupperware box, and the waiter thought I'd brought my own lunch to the restaurant and helpfully informed me that you're not really supposed to do that! So I showed him my tasty insulin & syringes and asked him if he wanted to try, and he wandered off. He didn't get a tip either.

You've got to look after yourself, and it is much more hygienic to inject at the table. Other people's opinions (or your perception of them) are, at best, a minor distraction and must not be allowed to dictate how you look after your diabetes. If they don't like it, they don't have to look! :wink:

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I didn't realise that I seem to be the odd one out who disappears with my tail between my legs to go and inject!!

Its bad enough doing it at home, when I first started my parents were like, go and do it in your bedroom, I just stared at them, burst into tears and said now I feel like a Pariah!! I now do it in a quiet corner of the kitchen, it doesn't bother my Mum if she comes in but my Dad feels really uncomfortable if I'm about to inject and will hastily walk out of the kitchen muttering apologies! I wonder sometimes if its the generation, things like that were always done in private and not in the open as much as they are done these days.

Next time I am out I will give it a go and doing it at my table. :D

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people
hi fiona your not the odd one out until ive read these posts ive always injected in public toilets and also in the corner of the kitchen but reading these posts have helped me change my ways and not worry so much about other people