New Pump User and Needing Help Already!

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I have started on a Paradigm pump this morning and so far things have seemingly gone well apart from me feeling really sick and dizzy. Is this a side effect of going on the pump or could it be that I have another illness but I'm blaming the pump???

Also next stupid question: when I change my infusion set, do I have to rewind the pump every time?

And last one, where do I buy the holders that strap to your leg so I can wear a floaty dress for a wedding?

Thanks for any help you can give me x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Welcome to the pump club! Have you changed insulin as well as your pump? That would be the only thing I can think of, if your symptoms started at the same time?

I hate wastage too, so very rarely change a reservoir and infusion set at the same time, and it sounds like you're doing the same. I think it's safer to rewind the pump even if it's just to change the infusion set, helps prevent the potential for air bubbles and inadvertent dosing, so I always rewind.

I'm afraid I know nothing about pump holders, as I only use the clip that came with the pump. But I just Googled it and there appear to be a whole stack of options.

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks very much for your reply Kegstore - I haven't changed insulin, still on NovoRapid. I'm just now wondering if it my body adjusting to having a more stable blood sugar than one that spikes all over the place. Either that or I am in for yet another cold!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah i felt like **** for a week or two while i adjusted to better sugars, it will get better. also, i always fully rewind my pump.

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thnaks Candi Girl. I tried to have a lie down earlier but the world continued to spin and I have just had a dizzy spell in the kitchen. Luckily my husband is at home just now to keep an eye on me but he goes away for work in 2 days time for 2 days so I am hoping that I adjust a bit quicker than 2 weeks. Oh help!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:( sorry you feel rotten, the heat doesn't help as i tend to go lower at this time of the year anyways. how are you doing?

shews

see the thread titled 'discreet pump wearing'.

There is a product called the thigh thing on the animas website which I have just bought to go under a bridesamid dress.
It has a suspender attachment so hopefully will stay up during drunken wedding dancing! Its on Friday so I'll let you know if it works :wink:

sal

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Sal - definitely let me know how it goes with the leg holder. I desperately want one now even for sleeping with the pump as I tend to sleep in my birthday suit but now find I am getting myself tangled in my line!!!

I have just been told I have a nasty throat and ear infection which isn't helping with the blood sugars but hopefully now I have antibiotics things will start to settle down. My BS's are running rather high though and the DSN is refusing to up my bolus rates until we get the basal rates right.