Contradictory diets and needs - Diabetes vs. Gout, this time

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Gout. It requires a low protein diet. This contraindicates the diabetic diet. Thoughts? Anyone suffering this? I appear to be having a bit of a challenge with my health at present. Frustrating. The gout diet is supposed to be a lot of starchy carby veggies, etc.

MM.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Not easy as you do need to avoid meats. Apparently veggie proteins are not a problem such as nuts and beans. Eggs and fat e.g. cheese should be OK as you need to avoid the purines in food. The 'lots of starchy carbs' sounds to me the voice of a dietician pushing out the carbs mantra. Keep them sensible but it's your choice and find out what actually helps you.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also read that gout is due to high carbs, specifically fructose. It may have been Dr Mercola's website, sorry can't search on this device.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also read that gout is due to high carbs, specifically fructose. It may have been Dr Mercola's website, sorry can't search on this device.

Gout is about Purines and the body's inability to get rid of uric acid. Most things that increase uric acid levels are low in carbs. Admittedly the research is new on all this.. really only since the time of Henry 8th!! Fruit doesn't bring on gout in any way shape or form.

I have gout. Get on Allopurinol and eat what you like and never get gout again! I'm a fan of trying to avoid drug remedies if at all possible, but I wished I'd taken the pills 10 years before I did!

If you insist on not taking drugs then some low carb foods are better than others. The fruits that are good for low carbers are good for gout too. Berries supposedly break down uric acid. Chicken and pork are better than red meats. I forget whether fish is any use or not.

But seriously.. take the pills!

Reactions: 3 people

trotskyite

http://gouteducation.org/patient/gout-treatment/diet/
Follow a Low-Fructose Diet

Gout sufferers are also encouraged to maintain a low-fructose diet, since there is a correlation between a diet high in fructose content and gout. Fructose is a naturally occurring simple sugar found in fruit, vegetables and honey. In the typical American diet, high-fructose corn syrup is added to many foods and drinks.

The Gout & Uric Acid Education Society recommends limiting table sugar, table salt and any products with high-fructose corn syrup, including:

• Soft drinks and juices
  • Cereals, store-bought baked goods, ice cream and candy
  • Processed foods at fast food restaurants
Many fruits have naturally occurring high fructose levels, so they should also be limited to one or two cups per day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Research
Soft drinks, fructose consumption, and the risk of gout in men: prospective cohort study
BMJ2008; 336doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39449.819271.BE(Published 07 February 2008)Cite this as: BMJ 2008;336:309

Conclusions Prospective data suggest that consumption of sugar sweetened soft drinks and fructose is strongly associated with an increased risk of gout in men. Furthermore, fructose rich fruits and fruit juices may also increase the risk. Diet soft drinks were not associated with the risk of gout.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/all-about-gout
Soft drink fanciers might be in the same gouty boat. High fructose intake was linked to gout in a Choi-led study published in 2008. Uric acid is one of the products of fructose metabolism, and there’s good evidence from controlled feeding studies that fructose increases uric acid levels in the blood. Much of the fructose in today’s American diet comes from the high-fructose corn syrup (which is about half fructose and half glucose) that’s used to sweeten soft drinks.

Reactions: 3 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS, UK Gout society, Patient.co.uk and any other website contradict that. There is a difference between corn syrup, which has very concentrated Fructose and fruit. Every diet sheet says "plenty of fruit and vegetables". As opposed to "prospective data" and "fructose rich fruits... MAY also increase risk". You also missed off the websites advice to eat plenty of fruit and veg.

Basically the evidence is very weak that fruit gives you gout and most advise to eat plenty of it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My friend has gout and has never ate fruit!!!

trotskyite

The NHS, UK Gout society, Patient.co.uk and any other website contradict that. There is a difference between corn syrup, which has very concentrated Fructose and fruit. Every diet sheet says "plenty of fruit and vegetables". As opposed to "prospective data" and "fructose rich fruits... MAY also increase risk". You also missed off the websites advice to eat plenty of fruit and veg.

Basically the evidence is very weak that fruit gives you gout and most advise to eat plenty of it.
I'm sure you're correct. It would be a weird world where fruit was bad for you. However soft drinks at 9 teaspoons of suger per can, not so sure.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know very little about gout, but I do know that NHS dietary guidelines for type 2 diabetics have a dreadful effect on my blood glucose and well being.

So I don't hold out much trust that NHS dietary guidelines will work for other conditions either.

Reactions: 5 people

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Gout. It requires a low protein diet. This contraindicates the diabetic diet. Thoughts? Anyone suffering this? I appear to be having a bit of a challenge with my health at present. Frustrating. The gout diet is supposed to be a lot of starchy carby veggies, etc.

Google 'gout & cherries' it really works. Even the meds from the doctor didn't take it all away and the cherries did. Takes a while but 15-20 cherries a day, any kind, dried or maraschino in bottles, they actually work. They help arthritis too I have found. By the way I didn't change my low carb diet and no noticeable difference to BG

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
don't think I replied correctly still its all there.