What's the best Mother's Day gift you ever received?

Lana F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose people don't normally ask mothers what the best Mother's Day gift they ever got was (anything their children make or buy them is precious to them!), but I figured if I asked it THIS way, as opposed to, "What's a good gift to give diabetic mothers?" I'd get a better idea of what mothers actually want for Mother's Day. Your kids love you, but no one knows you quite as well as you know yourself! I bet there are some things you wish your husband would get you, but are too embarrassed to even ask! That's what I'm after, basically. The stuff diabetic mothers really want this Mother's Day! Don't be embarrassed; all's fair in love and ... motherhood! Oh, and it doesn't actually have to be something physical, like a handbag or perfume; it can be something sentimental like a poem or sensual massage *sizzle* And ... I realize this is an international forum and not everyone celebrates Mother's Day (as we do in the US); so for those who don't celebrate Mother's Day, you can swap out Mother's Day with Woman's Day, or even a birthday. Thanks in advance! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose people don't normally ask mothers what the best Mother's Day gift they ever got was (anything their children make or buy them is precious to them!), but I figured if I asked it THIS way, as opposed to, "What's a good gift to give diabetic mothers?" I'd get a better idea of what mothers actually want for Mother's Day. Your kids love you, but no one knows you quite as well as you know yourself! I bet there are some things you wish your husband would get you, but are too embarrassed to even ask! That's what I'm after, basically. The stuff diabetic mothers really want this Mother's Day! Don't be embarrassed; all's fair in love and ... motherhood! Oh, and it doesn't actually have to be something physical, like a handbag or perfume; it can be something sentimental like a poem or sensual massage *sizzle* And ... I realize this is an international forum and not everyone celebrates Mother's Day (as we do in the US); so for those who don't celebrate Mother's Day, you can swap out Mother's Day with Woman's Day, or even a birthday. Thanks in advance! :)

Lol. A "sensual massage"??? Contrary to belief in the U.S. We arnt "repressed" in the UK. But this idea is on a parr with getting dad a "hooker" for Christmas.... :p

Lana F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. A "sensual massage"??? Contrary to belief in the U.S. We arnt "repressed" in the UK. But this idea is on a parr with getting dad a "hooker" for Christmas.... :p

Actually, you're a man, right? I have a better question for you...

...what gift (or gifts) did your wife MOST appreciate and actually use that you've given her? Was there one she liked in particular? One she fawned over? Went gaga for? One she uses all the time? One her eyes bugged out when you gave her? Do you think women prefer practical gifts, sensual gifts, thoughtful gifts, meaningful gifts, romantic gifts, what what what????? I know this sounds silly, but I can tell, my mother never liked any of the gifts I've ever gotten her; she even makes a face when I bring her flowers! She's a good person, works hard, she's always cooking and cleaning and all that chit, but...I dunno...something about my gifts she's never pleased with. Even if it's something she actually wants to get herself and I beat her to it, she still squirms! What gives? Makes me wanna stop gettin' her stuff! Have you had any luck with the wifey? Do share! Thanks! ;-)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My daughter is the best Mothers day present, as she was born October 2000 and I was so lucky that we both survived, so the following year my first Mothers day with her, was so very special. But a home made card, or being spoilt with cups of tea and breakfast in bed, is something to treasure and that's more than I could ever want, as a kiss, a cuddle and someone saying I love you," you're the best mum in the world"
beats any presents hands down :joyful:

RRB :)

Reactions: 8 people

Lana F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter is the best Mothers day present, as she was born October 2000 and I was so lucky that we both survived, so the following year my first Mothers day with her, was so very special. But a home made card, or being spoilt with cups of tea and breakfast in bed, is something to treasure and that's more than I could ever want, as a kiss, a cuddle and someone saying I love you," you're the best mum in the world"
beats any presents hands down :joyful:

RRB :)

Both survived?! Eeeeek, both survived WHAT?????!!!!! And yeah, I had a funny feeling mothers liked that sort of thing -- it has a lot of sentimental value. Wish MY own mother appreciated that sort of thing. Maybe she DOES but has a funny way of showing it! When I was a kid, she never kept any of the stuff I used to make her. Not that it matters, just sayin'. But seriously, survived WHAT?????!!!!! :-O

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, you're a man, right? I have a better question for you...

...what gift (or gifts) did your wife MOST appreciate and actually use that you've given her? Was there one she liked in particular? One she fawned over? Went gaga for? One she uses all the time? One her eyes bugged out when you gave her? Do you think women prefer practical gifts, sensual gifts, thoughtful gifts, meaningful gifts, romantic gifts, what what what????? I know this sounds silly, but I can tell, my mother never liked any of the gifts I've ever gotten her; she even makes a face when I bring her flowers! She's a good person, works hard, she's always cooking and cleaning and all that chit, but...I dunno...something about my gifts she's never pleased with. Even if it's something she actually wants to get herself and I beat her to it, she still squirms! What gives? Makes me wanna stop gettin' her stuff! Have you had any luck with the wifey? Do share! Thanks! ;-)

What is your mothers age group?
What is the geographic distance between you & your mum?
How often do you visit?
What is the average visit duration..?

Lana F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your mothers age group?
What is the geographic distance between you & your mum?
How often do you visit?
What is the average visit duration..?

Have you ever watched a TV show called "The Golden Girls?" We live together. LOL She's 60. You didn't answer my question about your wife! LOL

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both survived?! Eeeeek, both survived WHAT?????!!!!! And yeah, I had a funny feeling mothers liked that sort of thing -- it has a lot of sentimental value. Wish MY own mother appreciated that sort of thing. Maybe she DOES but has a funny way of showing it! When I was a kid, she never kept any of the stuff I used to make her. Not that it matters, just sayin'. But seriously, survived WHAT?????!!!!! :-O
At a guess I would say Childbirth? !!!!!! I too am lucky that my son and I both survived it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever watched a TV show called "The Golden Girls?" We live together. LOL She's 60. You didn't answer my question about your wife! LOL

Yes, I am familiar with the program.. I'm actually not a massive fan of American "sit coms". It's the comedy equivalent of Twitter..?
Didn't I? I thought we were talking about your mother... ;)

Lana F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At a guess I would say Childbirth? !!!!!! I too am lucky that my son and I both survived it.

But, why wouldn't you survive? I mean, when women talk about child birth, they don't talk in terms of "survival." Sure, it's painful; but no one thinks "danger" when they head to the hospital (err, maternity ward); they usually think happy thoughts. I realize with diabetics, there's more risk involved, what with complications and all; which is why I asked. What about the childbirth made you think you wouldn't survive? Did something go wrong or was it just the fact childbirth for diabetic women is riskier than for non-diabetic women? Inquiring minds wanna know! :-X

Lana F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I am familiar with the program.. I'm actually not a massive fan of American "sit coms". It's the comedy equivalent of Twitter..?
Didn't I? I thought we were talking about your mother... ;)

if I knew what to do about MY mother, I wouldn't have to turn to a diabetes forum for answers! LOL Now, tell me about your wife! ;-)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My daughter was born at 33 weeks, I had a normal pregnancy up till then and no big problems. I developed HELLP syndrome, I wont to go into it too much on here, but it was full blown emergency and if I didn't go the hospital when I did or if it happened earlier to save the mothers life, unfortunately some premature babies don't survive. I didn't see my baby for days, as I was too unwell, but I am thankful every Mothers days, because we are both here together to celebrate it. My mum died in 2002.

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I remember the Golden girls, with Betty White, a funny show with older actresses, a thumbs up.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
My best mothers day was three years ago when I had my four children and six grandchildren all together.
It dosent happen often as two of my children and four of my grandchildren live abroad.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But, why wouldn't you survive? I mean, when women talk about child birth, they don't talk in terms of "survival." Sure, it's painful; but no one thinks "danger" when they head to the hospital (err, maternity ward); they usually think happy thoughts. I realize with diabetics, there's more risk involved, what with complications and all; which is why I asked. What about the childbirth made you think you wouldn't survive? Did something go wrong or was it just the fact childbirth for diabetic women is riskier than for non-diabetic women? Inquiring minds wanna know! :-X

I wasn't diabetic. I had a placental abruption at 30 weeks. Everything was fine till then. . Not all babies survived at 30 weeks back then. I had an emergency caesarean. What made me think I wouldn't survive? The fact that they called an anaesthetist out of another theatre (they were just about to start an emergency caesarean on someone else) When he arrived he was angry at being called out of one op for another. They said they couldn't page another one because I would be dead before he/she got there. He took one look at me and agreed. I was strangely comforted by this panic because I already knew I was in dire straits and I was relieved they were trying to help me.

My son had a lot of problems in his 8 weeks in hospital and we had more than one phone call in the night to say "Come in now, he may not make it till morning"

Have you actually had a baby? Happy thoughts when heading to hospital? "Get this thing out of me!" seems more likely to me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and to answer your Mother's Day question. I like to see my sons sometime that weekend but I ask them not to get me presents. I am special all year round, not just on Mother's Day. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if I knew what to do about MY mother, I wouldn't have to turn to a diabetes forum for answers! LOL

Precisely.. Which is why you ask..

Have you always lived with your mum? Or have you returned after moving out in your youth?

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My mother isn't diabetic and she is 68 years old, just for reference. My parents are rather comfortable, so it is always difficult coming up with gifts for them. A recent good gift has been "experience" days. You can buy a couple dance lessons, a wine tasting excursion, tours of cities, etc. They have everything from from specialty cooking lessons to skydiving and race car driving! Surprisingly, they aren't all that expensive. It helps if your mom has a lot of interests, or things she's always wanted to do, and if she lives near a major city (my parents are in Philadelphia). Anyway, just a thought and something a bit unusual that has been a hit with my folks.

Reactions: 4 people