Induction

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ladies,

I'm curently 36 weeks pregnant with Diabetes type 1 for 25 years. So far so good. Had my scan and baby's tummy measurements are on the higher side but still in range. My last HbA1C was 5,3 and besides of having few highs here and there my control is very tight and good. I had a chat with consultant and they are pushing me to set the date for induction at 38 weeks- which I don't want. Any of you had a natural birth starting on it's own? Or any positive stories about induction? I do understand we are at the higher risk of placenta failure but this can be monitored, right? How about having a NST tests? Anyone could manage to "move" an induction to at least 39 weeks?
Any experience and advice would be great! I do want as natural labour as possible with no interventions.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Yuste :)

My last HbA1C was 4.7 and my baby's growth has been normal so far. I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant.

I've just set the date for my induction, pretty much at 38 weeks, even though I'd love to have a natural birth and am still secretly hoping to go into labour before that time.

Why did I agree to the induction? Because I couldn't live with myself in anything went wrong. My consultant says that with diabetes the normal non-stress tests don't give very useful information, nor do the umbilical Dopplers. Things can still suddenly go wrong. She told me to,watch out for reduced fetal movements and sudden hypos.

If you look on this forum you'll see ladies with perfect control who've had to be induced early. That's in no way their fault. It's one of the things about diabetes. Current guidelines are to be induced between 37wks and the beginning of week 39.

I know it's frustrating. Believe me when I say that nobody wants to be induced less than me! I HATE the idea! But it's something I feel is necessary and right for my baby so that's why I agreed. Even in normal pregnancies the placenta starts ageing from approx 34 weeks, and diabetes potentially makes it age faster and give up sooner. I couldn't live with that worry every day and the possibility of an emergency c section if things suddenly went wrong.

No-one can make you be induced, but have a read around here and look at all the evidence and maybe you'll be able to get more used to the idea.

Good luck :)

Edited to add you can still have the labour you want even though you're induced. I've made my birth plan and I hope it works out with minimal intervention. You may not need a drip if the pessary starts labour off, and you can always have your waters broken rather than go straight to the drip. You still have choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Yuste. I have type 1 and in February was induced at 38 weeks after a very straight forwards pregnancy and hba1c of 5.1. I had the hormone pessary in for 24 hrs and then my waters broke. I then laboured quickly and normally and my baby girl was delivered naturally 4hrs later, weighing 6 lb12oz.
Whilst I would have loved to labour without induction my main concern was placental failure and still birth which definitely increases after 38 weeks. Good luck with working things out and hope it all goes well for you when you go into labour! X