Herbal-Life

ukk9

Hi all

Someone I know is a Herbal-Life nutrition coach. They have suggested that this diet is OK for me to use (I have type 2). Are there any known negatives to this diet

Regards

Steve

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It would help if you gave us some idea as to what the diet consists of and what it is for ?

A quick search on the website gives no information whatsoever about Diabetes - not an auspicious start ?

Ken.

ukk9

From what I can gather, weight loss using the herbal life milkshakes requires the use of two meals being replaced by the milkshakes. Each Milkshake (irrespective of flavour) seems to consist of the same ingredients which are as shown below. I am told that it is perfectly safe for diabetics to use other than the cereal bars which have chocolate in them. This has come from one of their sales team, so obviously I am treating it with caution.

Regards Steve

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 Tablepoons
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calories 90 Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 135mg 6%
Potassium 230mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 13g 4%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 9g
Protein 9g 18%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 25%
Calcium 8%
Iron 10%
Vitamin D 25%
Vitamin E 25%
Vitamin K 0%
Thiamin (B1) 25%
Riboflavin (B2) 25%
Niacin (B3) 25%
Vitamin B6 25%
Folic Acid (Folate) 25%
Vitamin B12 25%
Biotin 25%
Magnesium 10%
Panthothenic Acid 25%
Zinc 25%
Copper 25%
Manganese 0%
Chromium 8%
Molybdenum 15%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 10.0% Carbs 57.8%
Protein 40.0%

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
13g of carb in a liquid form might hit your blood quite hard, but it's not too much for most people if that's all there is in the meal.
I would prefer to see people eat real food. Is there a particcuar reason why you want to do this?

ukk9

The reason is basically weight loss. I have tried many diets, been quite succesful on some (lost 4 stone with slimming world) however, I prefer to eat potatoes, pasta etc than meat (just because I like it more) and lost the weight with slimming world on mainly green (non meat) days. I have never tried a weight loss programme based on supplemnt s like milkshakes, have seen the results from others I know who have used it and thought it worth a try.

Steve

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm still not sure about these slimming clubs etc. Seems like you pay a lot to achieve something which can be done by other means at far less cost.

I would also be wary of any site/product which doesn't give any information in relation to Diabetes or Diabetics. Such as this one. You have to register and fill in a form before you get anywhere near a mention of Diabetes. Why isn't the information readily available ?

It may be Ok but if your Bg levels aren't under control you can quickly get complications which are far more serious than some extra weight.

Ken.

ukk9

At the moment my pre breakfast levels are between 5.5 & 7.7. Is this considered to be under control?

Steve

iHs

Hello Ukk

If I was you I wouldn't have anything to do with Herbalife or the other bunch - Forever Living Products. They are a complete take on and entice out of work people to join them selling their products stating this,that and the other, making over exagerated claims about their products

I had a neighbour once who got involved with Herbalife (he was once fairly obese) went knocking on doors stating how much weight he had lost through taking Herbalife's slimming plan. Loads of people believed everything he said and purchased products through him. Many weeks later it was revealed that it wasn't the Herbalife that had made him lose weight, it was him cutting back on his food intake.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi again ukk9
If you are a diabetic on most kinds of medication, meal replacement diets are not likely to work very well.
High blood sugar is a symptom of diabetes, the disease itself is an error in carbohydrate metabolism, among other metabolic errors.
Your problem is compounded by your liking for and even possible addiction to carbs. This is what you need to deal with.
It's my belief that carbs are even more addictive than cigarettes. If you can reduce your carbs by enough, you will lose weight. If you choose to go down the pharmacological route of diabetes control, you are not likely to succeed.
You can reduce carbs selectively, or by reducing your total food intake( calories)
The kind of slimming club which offers just support and guidance, is probably better value than meal replacement, which is VERY EXPENSIVE and does nothing to re-educate your eating. I don't know about Herbal-Life, but I know that Lighter-life costs about £60 per week.
If you are a T2 diabetic with a LOT of weight to lose, discuss Byetta with your care team.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
ukk9 said:
At the moment my pre breakfast levels are between 5.5 & 7.7. Is this considered to be under control?

Steve

Hi steve.

I see you are aT2 ? Diet only.

If that is the case then the Feb 2009 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking)..................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals.................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

Are your levels within those guidelines ? Lower is much better, but it's a start.

Ken.

Romola

Try a low glycemic load approach. There are plenty of books about it - and recipe books, a couple by Anthony Worrel Thompson, who is as near as **** to being diabetic himself.

Avoid too much fat though.

It does work. You will lose weight, but you have to be patient. Lose it slowly and it is more likely to stay off.

Spiral

Replacement meals are not a long term solution. Even without the possible impact on your blood sugar, if you succesfully lose weight it will not stay off when you return to a "normal" diet. Unless you re-educate yourself about healthy eating in a way that works for you in the long term you will be throwing your money away.

A far better approach would be to read around the success stories threads on this website and spend the money you would have spent on the Herba-life products on test strips and learn about real food and a sustainable diet that you can stick to for the rest of your life, which is how long you will have the diabetes.

Last year, someone I know (she isn't diabetic) spent a mind bogglingly huge sum of money on a diet plan that involved manufactured packages food and group and individual counselling session. She lost a fair bit of weight quite quickly, but she was hungry all the time and has regained at least half of what she lost a year later.

MrsPugwash

Having looked at the nutritional content of one of the Herbal Life shakes, the second ingredient on the list is fructose (sugar), it also lists dextrose (sugar) and honey powder (sugar), adding up to a whopping 21.5g of sugar per shake when made up with milk. Doesn't sound suitable for diabetics (or anyone else really) to me!

Steve, I know that losing weight the traditional way is a hard slog, but you are far better off following a healthy, balanced diet, rich in protein, vegetables and some fruits, 'good' fats and a reduced amount of complex starchy carbs. Quick fix meal replacement shakes don't train you to make healthier food choices which is what we all need to do if we're going to maintain a healthier lifestyle permanently. Also, the synthetic vitamin mixes used in such replacements are not a patch on the vitamins and minerals you will receive from eating natural foods.

Have a look around the forum and you will find plenty of inspirational posts by people who have lost weight doing just that - whether it's a reduced carb diet, or a low GI plan that's best is something only you will find out by trying it out - but you will be better off by giving the meal replacement shakes a wide berth.

belinda_b

I'm not a fan of any of these so called weight loss programmes. Usually it's just a way of parting you and your cash! I've managed to lose 30lbs since the end of March just by restricting my carbs and exercising more. It's been simple and I just wish I'd had info about reducing carbs three years ago when I was diagnosed, I'm sure I wouldn't have gained so much weight in the first place. I have another 28lbs to go to bring my weight down to under 10st and I'll be chuffed if I can keep to that weight from then on. My bg levels are good too, so it has definitely worked well for me. I would say save your money, cut the carbs down and exercise if you can :D