Can I eat Potato Chips if I have type 1?

Batista411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it a risk if I eat potatoe chips? (pringles)

Its been a long time and I don't take insulin injections because the doctor told me its best for me to be on diet

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strange question as Type 1's have to take insulin as their pancreas is shot.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are not taking insulin, it is very unlikely that you are a type 1 diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Is it a risk if I eat potatoe chips? (pringles)

Its been a long time and I don't take insulin injections because the doctor told me its best for me to be on diet

Hello and welcome. How long have you been diagnosed and are you definitely type 1 ? Could you also tell us little more regarding your diabetes. As that would be a great help in answering questions. All the best RRB

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the others. If you don't need insulin then you may be a Late onset T1 (LADA) which is progressing very slowly or actually a T2. Did the GP do blood tests for T1? You can always eat most things whether you are T1 or T2 BUT only if your blood sugar stays within range e.g. 8.5 mmol or less 2 hyours after a meal. When on insulin you can increase it for carby foods but weight gain can result.

Batista411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome. How long have you been diagnosed and are you definitely type 1 ? Could you also tell us little more regarding your diabetes. As that would be a great help in answering questions. All the best RRB

and I have had the symptoms for a year and sometimes my blood sugar rises to 12 but I have recently kept a fixed diet and its been going good recently. my blood sugar stays between 5 - 9 and some doctors said If it stays like this there is a chance of me not taking Insulin for atleast 4 years...

I am not sure yet so this years I will go to Switzerland

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I just looked at your profile & your a young guy of 16... At a guess you doctor has put you on a diet (low carb.) to prolong the inevitable use of injections of insulin...?
I have tried a Pringle once. They don't taste like potato which is carbohydrate in its self.. The taste in a Pringle that cuts through for me is the corn flour.? (A bit like that of a Dorito.) But looking at the contents of a Pringle, I would steer clear of too many, if at all..?
Here is a link that's food for thought. It isn't technically a "potato chip" by all acounts.. Which I always suspected... ;)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7490346.stm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
and I have had the symptoms for a year and sometimes my blood sugar rises to 12 but I have recently kept a fixed diet and its been going good recently. my blood sugar stays between 5 - 9 and some doctors said If it stays like this there is a chance of me not taking Insulin for at least 4 years...

I am not sure yet so this years I will go to Switzerland

Hi, not sure what is going on with your body, but Type 1's do seem to some need Insulin. Are you type 1 ? it does sound more like type 2 ?
Are you going to visit Switzerland or actually live there, as a member of the forum lives in Switzerland.

Where are you from and what part of the world do you live in ?

All the best RRB.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Pringles are very high fat so not very good for anyone. One use for them though is as a firelighter! An elderly neighbour gave me this information whilst lighting her fire with one. :)

Reactions: 6 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely hate those Pringle things that have never seen a potato. They are so full of salt it's untrue. Much better to stick to potato crisps that are actually potatoes. The best ones I have ever tasted are Mackie's of Scotland. They do a Scotch Bonnett chilli flavour that is to die for, if you like hot chillis . In a 30g serving there is only 8g fat and 0.3g salt and of course 17g carbohydrate.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pringles are very high fat so not very good for anyone. One use for them though is as a firelighter! An elderly neighbour gave me this information whilst lighting her fire with one. :)

Cool.! You have given me something to try now.. Pyromania can be more difficult to control tha "popping Pringles." :D