BYETTA

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi shamalee.

It is not a 'given' that you will feel nauseous at all. Hopefully it will pass you by ? There are some who have had the nausea and continue to this day. We are all different.

I never had any sickness at all. Just days where I felt a little strange, but no sickness. If you are only getting mild symptoms then let's hope that stays that way. I too found that Bg's dropped quite dramatically, so much so that I was in danger of Hypo's on more than one occassion. This was sorted by dropping the oral tabs. I was overmedicated. Weight loss also soon began. It is a great drug providing you can tolerate the side effects ?

Ken.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

Did you come off the insulin before you went on the Byetta? I am asking because your weight loss has been very good and I am struggling with that too - it would make the nausea worthwhile if I had lost a couple of stone during the 8 weeks!! Anyway, although I am now down to 15 units at night I am wondering whether that is perhaps still holding back the weight loss - from your experience what do you think? I am in my 9 th week now on the 5 pen and are really hoping that my side effects will ease off so that I can start the 10 pen soon.
At the moment I am having a bad day and then not such a bad day!!! - I have moved my Metformin to the evening, I inject immediately before eating, have taken ginger tea, ginger biscuits (bad choice as I eat too many) but my last hope is a ginger capsule which I have started today. I took it after my breakfast and I would say there was some improvement today (yeah!) so heres hoping..... Am off to the hairdressers tomorrow (not been for 8 months) and my mum is paying for my birthday present (next week) and I am going to have the colour put back in - golden/auburn (no grey yet and my younger sister is green with envy!!) :lol:
Speak soon, enjoy your weekends everyone. Jude

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude i stopped insulin night before first morning dose of byetta i was on insulin 3 yrs and gained 4 st in that time with struggling to diet when i suggested to ddiabetic nurse insulin to blame for weight gain she agreed and decided to try me on byetta the only probs with stopping insulin so sudden i wonder if thats why sugar levels went so high (a bit lower now) bad day yesterday sipping ginger and soda water which led to been very sick no food but i felt abit better after i said all day i cant take no more daughter came and commented how much weight i had lost and i tried on some clothes which havent fitted me for ages (glee some did) i did exactly the same as you yesterday i have booked to have my hair restyled next week i fancy a long bob style it is my birthday tommorow 49 yrs i would usually go out for meal but i just dont fancy it at the moment might leave it until next week still off my food !!!!!! i think its a bit of a cruel way to lose weight really but if there is an end to it ill try and stick it i gave up smoking 3 yrs ago i dont drink alchohol now i dont even enjoy my food now i think im quite boring !!!!! but lets hope its worth it think of you nice to know im not alone on bad days bye for now

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Everyone

Am almost hesitating to write this - this is my third morning taking a ginger capsule after my breakfast and the nausea has gone - :D - and long may it last!!
Will keep you posted of my progress. Jude

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

OMG. Jude. Here's hoping it lasts. I really have felt we had tried everything on here to try and get you over the nausea.

Ken. :D

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude so pleased to read your last post where do you get the ginger capsules from i would like to try them i have been sucking ginger mints sweets after breakfast which seem to do the trick but they are full of sugar which i could do without once again really good to read your feeling better bye for now :) :)

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

The ginger capsules I am taking I bought from a company called Natures Best - if you do a search you will find it online. I have been buying various supplements from them for years now and as I dont get out much it is great that I can have some control by ordering online!! It is very early days but so far the nausea has gone. I wait about 15-20mins after my porridge and then take the capsule. I dont know if Holland and Barrett sell any giner capsules or tablets.
Hope you hada good birthday yesterday - did you get me message - I opened a topic Happy Birthday under General Chat but no-one else contributed! - then I sent you a pm last night!! :lol: Jude

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Vivkaroo

Just wondering how you have been doing this week - have you been feeling better? - do hope so. Let us know how you are doing.

Jude

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude thanks for birthday message i did send you one back but i dont know if i did it right thanks for that ill have a look through sites for capsules and if not ill take myself off to holland and barrets a bit like you not going out much at the moment still feeling pretty off colour at times but im so glad touch wood you seem to be over the worse :D bye for now take care

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hi jude happy belated birthday hope you enjoy i did post you pm but dont know if i sent it right not very good on my computer as you prob guess come on everybody were is judes birthday wishes hope your hair is nice jude getting mine done next week night hun hope you got my pm it does go on a bit though

night jude and all xxx :wink:

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Vivkaroo

Birthday is actually today - thank you for your wishes. I have not received the pm. Am still feeling rather "delicate" this morning - hubby has taken day off to take me out but I dont think I am up to it. I am so disappointed because my guts had been much more stable - but I do not think what I have experienced is down to my IBS - saying that, I dont know what is causing it. You could try sending the pm again. Thanks, Jude

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Happy birthday Jude.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude happy birthday sorry to read your not feeling too good i dont think these side effects just go away because i can go for a few days feeling ok then next day stomach feels uchy and feel nauseau i have been experimenting with myself though i can never eat much for breakfast dozen mini shredies or 1 toast and i always feel sick hour after but after evening meal more substantial i dont have any sickness i hadnt really thought about it but the other day i didnt have much for tea sure enough i felt sick in evening i should of guessed i suppose like antibiotics dont go well with empty stomach any way im trying to eat more for breakfast any im rattling on again take care bye for now :D

Vivienne

Good morning,
I'm on day 5 of Byetta and have read with interest, fear and hope through this thread, that Byetta may be the answer to improving my control and weight loss.
Cheers,
Vivienne

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Vivienne.
Welcome to the forum from another 'spit' user. Coming here is probably one of the best moves you have made. There is a wealth of information here and if there are any questions just ask. We will do our best to answer them.

We have all trod in uncharted territory with Byetta, but it does 'what it say's on the tin !' I have lost 3 stone in as many months and Bg levels are drastically reduced now. What a difference that makes to my life.

Ken.

mundiz

Dislikes
Diabetes

I have had type 2 diabetes for about 5 years now and am currently on the following medication:

Metformin
Tolbutamide
Roziglitizone
Atorvastatin
Omacor
Atenolol
Amlodopine
Aspirin

My control has gradually declined and I am currently 9.1 My weight is also going up as I am now 20 stone 2 lbs. I have no extra sugar, do not eat cakes sweets or any snacks and grill everything and choose low or no fat food I cannot reverse this.

My GP practice recently acquired a new young doctor who told me of Byetta and recommended that I see a consultant at Doncaster Royal Infirmary as he thinks I am an ideal candidate. Even though the Doncaster PCT has approved its use, the Consultant I saw at DRI will under no circumstances let me use it and just suggested I get a gastric band fitted.

My doctor has found a consultant in Leeds that will put me on Byetta so things are looking up.

I have 2 questions:

1. Would it be better for me to drop the Tolbutamide and Roziglitizone to see how the Byetta and Meformin handle my sugars ( I am fearful of going hypo)?
2. What are the log term effects? (is there anyone still using the forum who has been on Byetta for 2 years?)

I have found this forum very helpful and I am going to try low carb because of it.

nabser

Hi i have been on byetta since i was first diagnosed 24/12/07,not quite two years but not far off of it as you can see by the date not a great christmas :cry: as i came round three days later in intensive care to be told i had died at one stage and also had about thirty minutes before i went into a full on diabetic coma which would have been the end for me.My blood sugars when admitted were 96.4,i was put on byetta and lantus also take zoton and three metformin tablets 1000mg.I was taken off lantus after two months but still take byetta 10ml twice a day and the metformin and zoton tablets and also 10mg of crestor for my cholesterol which was only 3.9 before my endocrinologist put me on it.I have lost 9st basically went from 137kgs to 80 kgs in little over six months and have stayed at that weight since.I dont feel nauseous using Byetta but may have while in hospital but as i was so messed up i honestly cant remember if i was or not,i test four times a day and my sugars vary between 4.0 and 5.8 so i have it reasonably tight and under control,i eat like a horse so the appetite suppressing may have worn off besides eating healthy i do play golf and go to the gym three or four times a week as exercise does help control and i have to say i am a big fan of lizard spit. :D

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hi jude vivkaroo here tried to send you another pm tonight let me know if you dont get it dont know if i am doing something wrong bye for now hope you got hair done and had nice night out luv vivkaroo :D xx

tizzzzy

I've just realised that I can't tolerate beef, it's taken some time for the penny to drop, but looking back over the ocassions when I've actually been sick, with the exception of one ocassion I have eaten some form of beef, meat balls, steak, cottage pie, steak & kidney pie and pudding. Each time there have been other items that I have blamed but after having a good two weeks with no sickness or nausea I once again was sick on steak & kidney pie and beans (I have eaten beans with no ill effects).
The reason I'm writing this is to ask if anyone else has a food type that they can longer manage since taking Byetta although they had no problems with it before? For me this is a breakthrough as I can easily manage to avoid beef products. My sugars are definitely lower and I have lost 2st 8lbs since 31/03/09.