Is what is defined as low carb the same regardless of size and gender

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband wants to join me on my low carb diet.Thanks to this forum, it has been very successful for me in both losing weight and keeping my blood sugar levels down. I aim to eat no more than about 100g of carbs a day- approx 30g breakfast, 30g lunch and 40g dinner. He, however, is much taller and heavier than me . Should the definition of low carb be different for him ? I know that he would be allowed more calories than me-is that true for carbs too?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The amount of carbs varies by individual and each individual needs to find their own maximum level. The key point is to find the level of carbs that brings the individual into nutritional ketosis. If you are not getting into nutritional ketosis then you are not low carbing, you're just dieting.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get some urine ketone strips (ketostix) for starters. They are pretty cheap from a chemist. Count your carbs. Note how many carbs a day you need to get down to before you show ketones. Write that number down because after a while the ketostix may stop working.

Reactions: 2 people