Sugar free soft drinks / mixers with NO ASPARTAME!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will find most own brand drinks from any supermarket don't have aspartam in it. I've even stopped drinking robinsons squash and traded it for the own brand as the own brand again doesn't use it

It seems most don't, but tesco do and that's where I get my shopping. Typical! loL!

DizzyBird

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to find mixers, especially lemonade and tonic water, and other soft drinks that have no aspartame, and it's not easy, they all seem to use the stuff! I won't touch anything that contains aspartame, and have been through every sugar free lemonade and tonic water on the tesco website and every single one (apart from tesco cloudy lemonade) has aspartame!
I'm sure there must be some somewhere, and I know I'm not the only one here to not want any aspartame, so hoped we could list all the relevant drinks we know here?

DizzyBird

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find most own brand drinks from any supermarket don't have aspartam in it. I've even stopped drinking robinsons squash and traded it for the own brand as the own brand again doesn't use it

I also use fizzy water with a twist of fresh lime (not a cordial or squash.) if it's a little sharp add just a dash of lemonade or tonic water, I find it works great with vodka, Bacardi & with cucumber in Gin. Hope this helps.

DizzyBird

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Went into Morrisons today and they have their own brand aspartame free tonic water and lemonade, so I got those.
I also saw a coke with green writing made with stevia, anyone here tried it?
I have I think it's horrible it has an aftertaste. My Grandaughter (the Diabetic!) thinks it's lovely but the sugar content is still very high.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to believe the very many people who have been adversely affected by it, me included, than the so-called 'experts' who carry out these tests on behalf of the manufacturers.
Apart from that it's a highly processed artificial 'food' that many of us refuse to use, especially when there are natural alternatives available and I really can't understand anyone defending it.

I'm not defending anything, just pointing out a fact.
And I believe that experts are largely so called for the level of expertise which they have accumulated.

It's absolutely fine for you to avoid something if you are adversely affected by it. Or even if you just don't fancy it. That is your prerogative.

I am (along with most others on this forum) adversely affected by sugary drinks and so opt for the odd diet coke, which has no bad effects on me at all, as far as I can tell, as an alternative to drinking water which, whilst I like it, can be a little dull when it's the only drink in ones repertoire.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, though - I also wish there was something besides water and booze that was really nice to drink and non sugary.

gbswales

I think that it is too easy to become overly concerned with the notion of toxic substances. I think that I accept that there is no scientific evidence for aspartame causing harm in the very small quantities used in fizzy drinks. If you are drinking 10 or more fizzy drinks a day then I think you have a far bigger problem than the small amount of aspartame. Yes some people record side effects and if they are sure of the cause then they choose to avoid it. To the person drinking Gin and Tonic or Vodka and Coke then I would suggest that the alcahol is almost certainly many times more toxic than any artificial sweetner so if you really want to be healthy give up the gin and the need for tonic goes away!
We all take risks with our life for pleasure - what you need is to balance the risks against the pleasure and maybe just accept that we are all going to die at some time.

Reactions: 2 people

gbswales

I'm not defending anything, just pointing out a fact.
And I believe that experts are largely so called for the level of expertise which they have accumulated.

It's absolutely fine for you to avoid something if you are adversely affected by it. Or even if you just don't fancy it. That is your prerogative.

I am (along with most others on this forum) adversely affected by sugary drinks and so opt for the odd diet coke, which has no bad effects on me at all, as far as I can tell, as an alternative to drinking water which, whilst I like it, can be a little dull when it's the only drink in ones repertoire.

I do so agree with you. Many people are affected by things like nuts, dairy products and all manner of things but that doesnt mean that everyone needs to give them up.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Vodka,.low cal tonic with lemon and a sweetener crushed between two tea spoons.and powdered into it just like in the spy films.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vodka,.low cal tonic with lemon and a sweetener crushed between two tea spoons.and powdered into it just like in the spy films.

Most low cal tonic water will have aspartame in, or some other sweetener so shouldn't need extra added.

Noddy123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most low cal tonic water will have aspartame in, or some other sweetener so shouldn't need extra added.
I used to drink robinsons until i discovered it contained aspartame so now I have no added sugar vimto. Thanks also for the tip,in here regarding tesco cloudy lemonade again no aspartame and low on sugar too.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to drink robinsons until i discovered it contained aspartame so now I have no added sugar vimto. Thanks also for the tip,in here regarding tesco cloudy lemonade again no aspartame and low on sugar too.

I love vimto! Must try it with vodka, but I don't think it will go too well with gin or bacardi. Worth a try though! :D

kokinoman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rowan,

Morrison's Diet Indian Tonic Water contains Sucralose and Acesulfame K (whatever that is) as sweeteners, and it tastes very good.

Also, if you want to ditch the usual Diet drinks containing Aspartame, then try Aldi's who do a range of carbonated flavoured water, which taste superb, and like the Morrison's Tonic Water, also contain Sucralose and Acesulfame K as sweeteners.

Not found a Coke or Lemonade yet without Aspartame thouigh.

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Trying to get a dive medical.
My doctor advised me to avoid sweeteners as they could be a reason for my headaches. I now try to avoid them and my headaches have almost gone. Life, for me, has improved.

MaryEmma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm trying to find mixers, especially lemonade and tonic water, and other soft drinks that have no aspartame, and it's not easy, they all seem to use the stuff! I won't touch anything that contains aspartame, and have been through every sugar free lemonade and tonic water on the tesco website and every single one (apart from tesco cloudy lemonade) has aspartame!
I'm sure there must be some somewhere, and I know I'm not the only one here to not want any aspartame, so hoped we could list all the relevant drinks we know here?
Sainsbury's own non diet tonic water contains only sugar no sweeteners. Non diet Coke also has only sugar no sweeteners. It's the devil and the deep blue sea choice really. I don't drink an awful lot of tonic and no coke at all so the sugar only thing is not too much of a problem. Rather have a little bit of the sugary one that any amount at all of aspartame.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rowan,

Morrison's Diet Indian Tonic Water contains Sucralose and Acesulfame K (whatever that is) as sweeteners, and it tastes very good.

Also, if you want to ditch the usual Diet drinks containing Aspartame, then try Aldi's who do a range of carbonated flavoured water, which taste superb, and like the Morrison's Tonic Water, also contain Sucralose and Acesulfame K as sweeteners.

Not found a Coke or Lemonade yet without Aspartame thouigh.

Thanks. I've got the Morrisons tonic water but there's no Aldi anywhere near me, which is a shame as I like flavoured water. Pepsi are removing aspartame in the USA but not here so I'll have to wait for my bacardi and coke ;)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sainsbury's own non diet tonic water contains only sugar no sweeteners. Non diet Coke also has only sugar no sweeteners. It's the devil and the deep blue sea choice really. I don't drink an awful lot of tonic and no coke at all so the sugar only thing is not too much of a problem. Rather have a little bit of the sugary one that any amount at all of aspartame.

That's what I thought over the last year or two, but the small amount of sugary mixer gradually got bigger until I was drinking a whole can. So now I won't have any ;)

rosiepam

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found Fever Tree " Naturally Light Tonic water" . It does contain sugar but 55% less than its ordinary tonic. I have found this available on line or in my local Tesco store

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
I've said it many times now. The new Coca Cola 'Life' is the best if, like me, you can't steer away from the fizz. I'm type 2 diabetic and I'm also asthmatic. I found that when ever I drink anything with Aspertame it narrowed my airways straight away. I suffered a lot when I was younger. R Whites lemonade was definately the worst drink. I tried drinking more water when I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago. I couldn't drink straight water so I had carbonised water with Sainsbury's High Juice. There were only about two or three flavours with no aspartame, but eventually they too had it. When Life came out last year I read the contents and immediatley took to it. They use Steviol.
Steviol glycosides are responsible for the sweet taste of the leaves of the stevia plant, (stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). These compounds range in sweetness from 40 to 450 times sweeter than sucrose. They heat-stable, pH-stable, and do not ferment. Additionally, they do not induce a glycemic response when ingested, thus making them attractive as a natural sweetner for diabetics and others on a carbohydrate -controlled diets.
As far as my asthma, it's never been better. I still have to keep an eye on everything else I consume as this is not available everywhere including restaurants.

Reactions: 4 people

dia8bets14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
morrisons own make do lemonade and diet coke without aspartame, in it.