Ivf and type 1

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have any of you ladies gone through ivf with type 1. I am due to go in in a month or so had most checks done but now they want another hba1c, a meeting with sedation people and medical advisor, really worried!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I had IVF. I have Type 1 and have an insulin pump. I didn't have any problems at all except some of the meds put my sugars up, so be prepared for that. I panicked for a few days before I realised what was causing the highs.

Don't worry about the extra checks. It's pretty much routine if you have a medical condition. It'd be remiss of them to just go ahead without any checks whatsoever.

Most of all - good luck!

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should be going soon. I need to get my hba1c down, it's currently 8.1 and they want it maximum 7. So I'm doing low carb on breakfast and lunch.. and I have another blood test in a couple of weeks. What is your hba1c ?

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I had IVF. I have Type 1 and have an insulin pump. I didn't have any problems at all except some of the meds put my sugars up, so be prepared for that. I panicked for a few days before I realised what was causing the highs.

Don't worry about the extra checks. It's pretty much routine if you have a medical condition. It'd be remiss of them to just go ahead without any checks whatsoever.

Most of all - good luck!
How did your ivf go if you don't mind me asking

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my hba1c yesterday so fingers crossed. I know it will be lower than last time as I am on low carbs 40-50 grams a day. I am taking my 5mg higher dose of folic acid also. My hba1c has never been 6 or 7 the best it has been was 8%.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow congratulations have you got any advice of what to do and what was your hba1c

Thank you :)

Before I got pregnant my HbA1C was 34, and my last HbA1C a few weeks ago was 28. I carb count, have something like 150 to 180g of carbs per day, and do lots of blood tests. I've always done that anyway.

I think IVF is a lot of luck but my top tips are:

- Concentrate on both parts - eggs and sperm - so they're both as healthy as possible. I took supplements and vitamins.
- Also, make sure your weight and diet are right. I've always been slim so I increased my weight by a few pounds. I also increased the amount of fat I ate. Fat is important for fertility.
- Finally, I'm a big believer in relaxation. I practised correct breathing twice a day for a couple of minutes and any time I felt stressed. I really think that helped.

All that, and never giving up and having a positive attitude. Easier said than done at times, but keep on going.

Reactions: 2 people