frantic mum

hennypenny

Hi, i am mum to a highly energetic 3 year old, who will be starting full time time school in september (2 weeks after his 4th birthday). He was diagnosed type 1, 8 months ago and i am already having a panic about him going to school. He has managed to survive nursery, but we did have to cut his hours as certain staff just didn't understand and he was always low when we picked him up. While it is a good school and my daughter adores it, i am aware of the less staff to children ratio and at the best of times ethan can be a handfull. Are there any mum's or dad's out there who have any advice on handling schools and teachers. We are about to enter into discussions with the school as none of the staff currently have a clue (like an allergy was one comment). Any advice wold be great. Hennypenny

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Contact the SENCO ( special Needs co-ordinator) at the school. She/he has enormous power to make sure your child is well cared for.
If you are really worried, It probably wouldn't set your child back if he didn't go to school until he turns 5

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,
You need to get your son's diabetes nurse to go into school before term starts and give all the staff who will be looking after your son a crash course in Type 1. Some of them will think they know all about it because they know someone who has Type 2. These people are even worse than the ones who think it's like an allergy! They have a steep learning curve ahead, but it is something they have to do, by law. Some schools are better than others, you may strike it lucky and have a good one right from the word go. Or you may have to work at educating them.

In the Reception class they usually have teaching assistants who (at my daughter's school anyway) take responsibility for this kind of thing. My advice is to get the diabetes nurse in, go to the meeting yourself too, and then after that cultivate a good relationship with the TA and his main teacher.

As for the hypos, as he gets older he will be able to recognise them better and tell them he is low, but until then they need to check him regularly - at times YOU decide on. My daughter is checked at morning break, before lunch and at afternoon break. And then at any other time she says she feels low (or high!). She is also checked before PE/dancing and swimming. Her school is fine about it.
Good luck with it all, anyway.
Best wishes,
Sue

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there,

My son is 2.5 yrs old and been diabetic since he was 8 months. He has basically been glued to my hip ever since and I am just in the process of trying to enrol him in daycare so I can get a break (I am a single parent and Khaleb also has Down syndrome). Today was the first time I have had a meeting with a centre that was open to consider having him with them. One of the staff members has some Type 1 experience from a past child so I'm going to give it a go and hope for the best. The thought of someone else knowing what to do and not forgetting about him puts knots in my chest but at the same time I am exhausted. Hopefully both our situations will work out well but I really understand how you are feeling right now.

All the best, Jen.

hennypenny

Thanks for the comments. We have had our little meeting at school and basically scared them all to death, so now i am feeling marginally calmer. The SENCO is now going to be acting head for the school (and another school as we have to share the head teacher )for the first year, covering maternity leave. So i hope she is up to the job, but at least they all realise now it is not an allergy and not like type 2 which they admitted they thought it would be like. It has taken throwing a tantrum to get Ethan's diabetes nurse to contact the school but progress is being made if slowly. The thought of having to trust someone else to be responsible for him is still giving me nightmares but there is some hope in there as well.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Throwing tantrums often works for 2 year olds. It's a good way to get noticed 8)
Hana