What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Can I please ask one question to everyone who knows about bread, I want to bake the recipes I see but why don't you use yeast to raise it, any specific reason, I am no baker but just wondering as no one uses it.
I hadn't thought about it really!! I guess it would not work on the heavy nut flours though ... they aren't really flour, per se.... I have some very fine coconut flour and almond flour, very expensive, but much more like wheat flour... you've given me food for thought Brettsza... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I think it's because yeast takes a long time to prove, and we want our "bread" quickly! ;) Yeast also needs sugar to grow, obviously not found in low carb recipes. Baking soda and baking powder seem to be the raising agents of choice, both act fast and require no "feeding".
Ahhhh, of course... you need sugar to make the yeast work... I've only been making bread for about 45 years... :facepalm: I never gave the sugar a thought... and I always am in a hurry for it - you're right... :)

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am hungry today... unusual for me....
B: Half an avocado and a bullet proof coffee....
Mid-morning: Bowl of home-made vegetable soup and a goat's yoghurt with 2 tsps honey replacement
Snack: Atkins chocolate bar and another bullet proof coffee....
Dinner will be buttered courgette noodles, roast cauliflower, green beans and asparagus with marinated tuna quickly seared...
Hot chocolate made with coconut milk today....

Reactions: 2 people

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
This morning 2 rashers of bacon, 2 large eggs, mushrooms, 1 slice of Oopsie bread, total carbs 3

Reactions: 5 people

PATRICK317

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes today so far so good, 2 eggs, thin bagel, BS DOING BETTER, lunch spinach turkey wrap, took 9 units of insulin, waiting a bit before I eat, BS 108 before lunch

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Breakfast one ryvita with marmite
Lunch homemade soup , which was cauliflower and stilton , one slice of Burgen bread
Tea leek, mushroom and tuna omelette .

Reactions: 4 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- 2 eggs, 2 oz mushrooms, 2 tbsp. bacon pieces, 1 tbsp. butter
L- 2 Grilled chicken drumsticks, 3 oz green beans, 4 olives

Debs71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dieting, feeling tired, housework,
B I had a banana,
L some chicken, ham and pork scratchings
and for dinner crispy aromatic duck with pancakes

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B 2 boiled eggs, cheese-bread & butter
L Tuna/pickled onion mix with lettuce, sorrel, mangetout, celery, cucumber, chives, home made dressing
D Smoked mackerel in mash of celeriac, cauli, butternut squash, chives, sorrel, mangetout & tomato with home-made oil dressing
*EDIT* Snack later: strawberries & double cream

Last edited by a moderator:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: leftover courgette/aubergine moussaka, green salad

L: smoked mackerel, cucumber chunks, radishes, fermented daikon; 1 square 72% chocolate

D: 2 mini crustless quiches, with red pepper, prosciutto, gouda cheese and olives; lettuce dressed with Greek yogurt

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee with cream (lots of!)
L: crustless quiche
D: pulled pork. Am about to fall head first into a bowl of strawberries and blueberries.

Puppy training this evening, so no time for luxuries like veg! Mores the pity. :)

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
On waking 1/2 an avocado with glass of soya milk unsweetened
cycle ( struggled today)
B 2 egg omelette with ham spinach and cheese
L was naughty boy and had a bacon sandwich (paid for it 2 post)
D sea bass fillet & cauli rice
P either coconut or jelly

Reactions: 8 people
C

CheeseJunkie

B Kipper
L home made beef chilli with pile of broccoli
D walnuts, apple, oatcake, Cheddar cheese
snack Brazil nuts
Tomato juice at the pub

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today will be mainly making up the veg deficit, and eating fat. I got on the scales a few days ago, and discovered a 1.5 pound gain! this is the first upward motion in over a year, and I know that box of Thorntons was to blame (2 a day, spread over 2 weeks), because they were the kind of carb that historically put on weight for me.

1.5 lbs is ridiculously small and insignificant - I fully recognise this - but as the hint of a start of a trend... deeply suspicious. add in the fact that my weight loss has been stalled for a while, then the obvious conclusion is that I have been eating too many carbs. and since I HAVEN'T really been eating many carbs, I think that I have been protein creeping, instead of carb creeping.

So less prot yesterday. And today. replaced by humungous amounts of veg/fibre, with enough fat to not be hungry.

B: Cinnamon flax seed bun served with double cream
assorted drinks with cream (hot choc, broth, coffee)
L: huge salad with mayo
D: roast chicken leg, all the skin, veg and cheese, with some berries and cream.

Will let you know if The Plan works. Clearly, the way for me to guage that it worked is when I wake up tomorrow looking like Twiggy. Am looking forward to it. ;) though Mr B might get a shock :)

Reactions: 9 people

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast
Half a small Avocado, egg omelette, 1 slice of Spelt homemade toast and coffee.
Pre 5.0
2hr 5.6
2.5 hr 6.2
3 hr 5.8
I..... *@#$ing hate this condition and all it's inconsistencies.......
And my fingers are sore.

Reactions: 9 people

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
Breakfast this morning Kippers with butter and 1 slice of Oopsie bread total 3 carbs, with my other meals I forecast a total of 45 carbs today! Since I started this LCHF style of eating 25 days ago although I haven't weighed I am waiting for the nurse to do that on my next appointment in a few weeks I have definitely lost weight though, because my waste is now 44 compered to 46 at the start so very encouraging I am delighted, and looking forward to my next weigh in.

Reactions: 10 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today will be mainly making up the veg deficit, and eating fat. I got on the scales a few days ago, and discovered a 1.5 pound gain! this is the first upward motion in over a year, and I know that box of Thorntons was to blame (2 a day, spread over 2 weeks), because they were the kind of carb that historically put on weight for me.

1.5 lbs is ridiculously small and insignificant - I fully recognise this - but as the hint of a start of a trend... deeply suspicious. add in the fact that my weight loss has been stalled for a while, then the obvious conclusion is that I have been eating too many carbs. and since I HAVEN'T really been eating many carbs, I think that I have been protein creeping, instead of carb creeping.

So less prot yesterday. And today. replaced by humungous amounts of veg/fibre, with enough fat to not be hungry.

B: Cinnamon flax seed bun served with double cream
assorted drinks with cream (hot choc, broth, coffee)
L: huge salad with mayo
D: roast chicken leg, all the skin, veg and cheese, with some berries and cream.

Will let you know if The Plan works. Clearly, the way for me to guage that it worked is when I wake up tomorrow looking like Twiggy. Am looking forward to it. ;) though Mr B might get a shock :)

:D Good morning... you always make me smile... I hope Mr B's shock is not too severe - I fear for his heart... :)
I feel exactly the same way... I've put a kilo on... 2.2 pounds... I'm not overweight really, but I don't like the 'upward trend' either... it will just pile on and on, I'm sure... I've had too little fat and too much protein, I'm sure also....
So today, loads of espresso with cream, 2 x bacon, mushrooms fried in butter and an egg... more espresso with cream... :) Lunch will be 180gm tuna marinated in soy, mirin, wok oil, garlic and spring onion, seared quickly and served with baby asparagus cooked in butter and buttered noodles made from yellow courgettes....followed by lemon almond cake and cream... Dinner will be roast chicken, roast cauliflower, green beans and buttered brussels sprouts.... followed by blueberries and cream... :)
How I slipped into the low-fat thing I have no idea... probably worried about the dairy effect on my infected sinuses - which are now happily fixed.. :happy: I will be doing 5 k's on the treadmill too - with weights.... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I made my own goat's cheese yesterday... thank you to the lovely person who gave me the method... :) It is soft and lovely... I have run cracked himalayan pink salt crystals through it and will add garlic and parsley I think too.... I am so happy with it... :)

Reactions: 12 people