Libre Sensor reaction

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Having used the Libre since it first became available, my recent sensors have given a progressively worsening skin reaction. The early ones left a faint red mark but each sensor seemed to have a worse one to the point that my last 3 have failed.

I've tried the various barriers and none seem to make much difference & the reaction has started earlier & earlier. Abbott have been first class and have replaced all of the failed ones with no quibbles whatsoever.

I've read various theories as to the reaction, allergy, contact dermatitus, & rejection of a foreign body being the main three.

Anyway, the question I have is this....

Has anyone who's suffered a severe reaction (my last 2 have been red, angry weeping sores) seen a medical professional and got a definitive diagnosis as to the cause?

Please note that this isn't a post with regard to accuracy of sensors as I've had no issues and have been able to use the data effectively on a day to day basis, it's just to save me making an appointment to find out information that someone else may have. I've also carried out a comprehensive search online without success.

Many thanks, Peter

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Peter,

I've had really bad skin reactions since sensor number 5, but I've not bothered with the doctor, so no definitive diagnosis. There was one of the early users who went to the doctor - can't remember if it was Danny or Andy - but whichever it was the doctor kept calling it contact dermatitis.

I'm still trying various barriers at the moment. No real success so far. I seem to get a dreadful itchiness within a couple of hours of applying the sensor and it lasts like that for two days or so and then seems to stop - but the skin irritation is always there when I take the sensor off. Using a Compeed blister plaster under the sensor seems to have been the most successful barrier here and elsewhere. I've not tried that yet, but the plasters certainly helped heal the wound after I removed the last sensor. I'm giving SkinTac a try this time, but I can feel the itchiness, so I expect the skin irritation is no better over SkinTac.

If you do go to the doctor, would you mind letting us know what the diagnosis is? There are a number of us with the skin irritation on here so hopefully someone does have a definitive diagnosis.

Smidge

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the doctor after I had this with my third sensor. He said "it looks like you've had a reaction to the adhesive. If it bothers you, don't put another sensor on".

I then got a 10 minute interrogation about why I felt the need to use the libre at all. He didn't see the point. Came away massively frustrated. To be honest though I think without knowing what was in the chemicals used, a GP is going to struggle to work out what exactly is causing the problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@jackois @smidge, when I was reading up on insulin pumps I seen a few references to Staph Infections at the infusion sites when skin becomes red and irritated, I'm just wondering does the Libre manual make any mention of this occurring?

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a really bad reaction after sensor 4 my gp said it was contact dermatitis. I haven't been able to use them since as after two days it is too painful. 4 months later and the marks are just about gone.

If I had my time again there are two things I would do.

First use a barrier cream to minimise the contact with the glue.

Second, use some medical adhesive remover to clean up my arm after. I used to clean with soap and water and let it come off over a couple of days. I always wondered if this made it worse.

Last thought. cavilon make a durable barrier cream which they say is the stop reactions to medical adhesive. Always wondered if that would work. cavilon will send free samples if you send a request from their website.

Reactions: 2 people

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all of the replies, I suspect, as you say Darren, that it's contact dermatitis, maybe with an allergic touch as well. I shan't bother the doctor with it.

I used Cavilon spray under the second last one and the reaction was the worst of the lot. The marks from the last four still show, after using E45 & Bio oil which has been recommended by a lot of people. Having had a month away from using them at one stage, this means that one of the marks is about 3 months old.

I'll now give it a decent break, as the sensors I have left have a shelf life for next year. I suspect that the reaction will be immediate, though.

Ah well, good while it lasted and a huge step forward for diabetics. Roll on the next breakthrough!

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I can't use this I have been looking at other solutions out there. Looks like some that don't need to pierce the skin will be out next year.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the reactions only kicked in after sensor 4, 5, 6 or whatever can't you try a different area of your body - i.e. the other arm or on your stomach/leg?

I'm only on sensor 2 and now worried I'll get a reaction down the line ... thanks for the tips, Darren.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi pinewood, I did try one on my chest, but it behaved exactly the same.

I shouldn't worry, though. You may be one of the many who haven't had any reaction whatsoever.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@jackois @smidge, when I was reading up on insulin pumps I seen a few references to Staph Infections at the infusion sites when skin becomes red and irritated, I'm just wondering does the Libre manual make any mention of this occurring?

Hi Noblehead. The Libre manual makes no mention of any skin irritation as such. It does say something about if you get irritation or continuous bleeding to remove the sensor and apply a new one - but it makes it sound like a very unlikely theoretical possibility - and your reaction is 'who is going to remove a £50 sensor? I'm not made of money'. Certainly no indication of anything likely or serious. When I rang them following my first incidence of skin irritation, they were concerned, but said I was the only one to have reported that issue - I knew that wasn't true. I sent them photos of the damage and offered to send them the sensor that had caused the problem, but they couldn't have been less interested. The only time they showed any interest was when I offered to report the issue to MHRA if it would help them get some focus on the issue. Their response was to advise me to see a doctor :-(

Smidge

New Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been experiencing the same reaction. 13 sensors used and the last 5 all causing irritation. They seem to be getting worse each time and the marks remain. When I spoke to Abbott, they indicated that it might be the glue - hopefully if enough of us register our issues with them, they will take it seriously. I will try the blister plaster idea and report back !

Morrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am another case for reactions to the freestyle libre sensors.
The first 5 sensors were okay. Progresively worse since then both in the speed of reaction but also its severity .
This has culminated in not being able to use the sensors for even a day .
Abbott didn't really seems to be that interested. They have never replied to any email I have sent them.
My glucose control had been fantastically improved by the use of the sensor so it is very frustrating to find I can no longer use it .
HBa1c. 66 before the sensor ; 44 when using a sensor ; But to 64 again !

Does anyone have any knowledge about the other sorts of sensors?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Abbott asking for advise on the skin reaction and was told to stop using the sensors and to see a dermatologist! Although they have replaced each one free of charge. I tried the barrier spray suggested on here but it didn't seem to help or reduced the stickiness so much the sensor fell off! I have a variety of angry red circles on my arms none of which have faded completely, even after 2 months. Such a shame as the sensor is a God send for me at work in meetings! Fingers crossed they come up with a solution ASAP

Morrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Abbott asking for advise on the skin reaction and was told to stop using the sensors and to see a dermatologist! Although they have replaced each one free of charge. I tried the barrier spray suggested on here but it didn't seem to help or reduced the stickiness so much the sensor fell off! I have a variety of angry red circles on my arms none of which have faded completely, even after 2 months. Such a shame as the sensor is a God send for me at work in meetings! Fingers crossed they come up with a solution ASAP

What about trying a different sensor? E.g Dexcom

New Boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best solution that I have come across is the Boots own tape plaster. I found the Compeed too thick for the sensor needs to strike through - an that is an expensive waste ! Funnily enough, I forgot to put the plaster under my most recent one (10 days ago) and no itching on this one so far. I find that once in a while, there is little or no reaction. But, the marks are there and don't really fade. From all I am reading and from the success of these, there will be some competitive solutions soon which will hopefully have a better adhesive. Key thing is to report it to Abbott. You will get a free sensor and unless we all tell them, they will not know. Hope you manage to work through it and find a solution.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The dexcom is quite expensive to buy (about £1000) - hence why i am also looking into a libre which is only £150 (or there about's) and i imagine a lot of people feel the same if they have to self fund

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Also been using since Day 1 of general launch last Sept. The last couple of sensors have started to itch. I knocked my last one off four days early and there was a yellowish blister type thing starting. I'm playing it safe and taking a few weeks off. I had thought after a year I was immune, but maybe not

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Due to the cost mainly, I get x2 libre sensors for approx £100 plus shipping and they last 14 days so x2 per month. I admit I don't know too much about the dexcom but I believe the controller costs around £1k? Plus the consumables? And they only last 7 days? But having said that I will definitely check it out as an alternative! The libre seemed appropriate and affordable but perhaps the skin reaction makes it not worth it after all

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The best solution that I have come across is the Boots own tape plaster. I found the Compeed too thick for the sensor needs to strike through - an that is an expensive waste ! Funnily enough, I forgot to put the plaster under my most recent one (10 days ago) and no itching on this one so far. I find that once in a while, there is little or no reaction. But, the marks are there and don't really fade. From all I am reading and from the success of these, there will be some competitive solutions soon which will hopefully have a better adhesive. Key thing is to report it to Abbott. You will get a free sensor and unless we all tell them, they will not know. Hope you manage to work through it and find a solution.
Hi new boy, could you confirm which boots tape you use? Just the usual 'plaster' tape and you put the sensor over it? Does it stay on for 14 days?