Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
Why do you need to be at 8.0mmol??
I tow a very large caravan and prefer to drive for at least two and a half hours at a time. Usually by the time I stop for the first stop I've come all the way down to low 6s or high 5s. Time for a top up of carbs, inject and 2.5 hours later we should be at the site. The cop cars are linked directly to the DVLA and their information is to be above 7mmol. The nurses at the diabetes clinic were horrified I was driving on the high 5s. They told me the rules are 7mmol or above

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I tow a very large caravan and prefer to drive for at least two and a half hours at a time. Usually by the time I stop for the first stop I've come all the way down to low 6s or high 5s. Time for a top up of carbs, inject and 2.5 hours later we should be at the site. The cop cars are linked directly to the DVLA and their information is to be above 7mmol. The nurses at the diabetes clinic were horrified I was driving on the high 5s. They told me the rules are 7mmol or above
According to leaflet. DIABINF ' A guide to insulin treated diabetes and driving' always carry a meter. Check bg NOT more then two hours before the start of your journey and every two hours while driving. If you're bg is 5 mmol/l or less, take a snack. If less than 4 mmol/l do not drive. There is more. Issued to me 12 months ago from the DVLA with my limited license.

Reactions: 2 people

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you so much. I do feel very well when I'm between 5 and 6mmol. So I will not be eating things I don't normally eat for breakfast nor lunch in the future. I am so pleased you've shown me this. My license is not restricted at all. I will have to have a driving test in 2 years when I turn 70

Last edited by a moderator:

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you so much. I do feel very well when I'm between 5 and 6mmol. So I will not be eating things I don't normally eat for breakfast nor lunch in the future. I am so pleased you've shown me this. My license is not restricted at all. I will have to have a driving test in 2 years when I turn 70
I had to take a driving test 3 months after ketonacidosis but only filled in a form a year ago. Like yours my license is only valid for 3 years.

opp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

Mine is was 12.9 when i was diagnosed (Jul) - am hoping next one in December will be better.

My HbA1c is 18 down from 22 and my daily tests are from 14 to 35
been like this for three years

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
My HbA1c is 18 down from 22 and my daily tests are from 14 to 35
been like this for three years
14-35mmol on your daily bgm tests??

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 148 last october....a few months ago it was down 40 points to 98, I've to get it tested again hopefully its down more and into the lower-mid 50s at least.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Another test in mid-March: and another 58 (7.5%).

I was pleased with that as it affirmed the changes I'd been making since December.

Looking at the data on my meter, I shall be disappointed if I don't reach the NICE target of 53 (7.0%) by the end of July...

A year ago, my BGs would have been 65%+ over my target, which was 8.5 mmol. Since the end of January, they have averaged 38% above target and 50-55% within or just below target (now 4.5-7.8 mmol).

I've experienced many more hypos, but 98% of the time I've responded timely and correctly thereby preventing above target rebounds, so I'm feeling much, much better.

38 years of errors and mistakes to rectify IS hard work, but so definitely worth every effort.

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another test in mid-March: and another 58 (7.5%).

I was pleased with that as it affirmed the changes I'd been making since December.

Looking at the data on my meter, I shall be disappointed if I don't reach the NICE target of 53 (7.0%) by the end of July...

A year ago, my BGs would have been 65%+ over my target, which was 8.5 mmol. Since the end of January, they have averaged 38% above target and 50-55% within or just below target (now 4.5-7.8 mmol).

I've experienced many more hypos, but 98% of the time I've responded timely and correctly thereby preventing above target rebounds, so I'm feeling much, much better.

38 years of errors and mistakes to rectify IS hard work, but so definitely worth every effort.
Well done. Hope I do as well

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}

Sounds a stupid question (I'm still less than a year diagnosed so forgive me I'm a newbie haha)... My first HbA1c was 6.5% (48mmol) but I just looked at your link @Ali H and the graph comparing HbA1c and mmol and 6-7% HbA1c = 7-8.7mmol. You say the target HbA1c is 6.5%, but surely that's not good cos it's still between 7-8.7mmol? We should be below 7mmol... Until I read that article, I honestly though my HbA1c was 6.5mmol!

baz1191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise / saving money ...All the things I should be doing
Daren't go and get mine done

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes an a1c of 6.5 means your average glucose level is between 7 and 8, remember it reflects an 80 to 90 day period. I am aiming below 6 right now using low carbing. 6.1 in March so fingers crossed for June's one lol.

Ali

Reactions: 3 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We must all do our own research and decide how we want to manage diabetes though. If I can maintain below 6 that is my mission accomplished.

Ali

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah ok thanks @Ali H. I'm now disappointed about my last HbA1c! So although they say 6.5% is good, it's not really is it if you're average glucose level is between 7 and 8....