High blood sugar and mitochondria

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting but I think the claims are being overstated. As I read this, they are saying they have identified one of the mechanisms by which high blood sugar causes complications. What's the upshot of that? A medicine that allows you to tolerate high blood sugar while having reduced complications? I'm not awarding my personal Nobel Prize for Medicine on that one. ;-)

Reactions: 2 people

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had to stop reading after the 1st sentence. "Sugar itself isn't toxic, so it's been a mystery why high blood sugar can have such a profound effect on the body" ..........omg...fail

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had to stop reading after the 1st sentence. "Sugar itself isn't toxic, so it's been a mystery why high blood sugar can have such a profound effect on the body" ..........omg...fail
Yeah that struck me as objectionable as well. Anyone who thinks sugar isn't toxic should ask bacteria. It kills them stone dead, without fail, more effectively than any antibiotic, which is why we put it in jam etc. I didn't see any reference either in the article backing up the claim that 'sugar isn't toxic'. I take the article as "here is one of the mechanisms by which sugar is toxic to cells".