Any recommended cold remedies please

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, can anyone recommend anything for a cold. I used to hit the honey & lemon or a beechams but that was pre-diagnosis. Also used to have a spoonful of local honey a day for hayfever, but guessing this could now do as much harm as good. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question but as a newbie I am still finding my feet. Appreciate any thoughts, thanks

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of fluids. Take paracetamol if you feel you are running a temperature. Make a hot lemon drink with real lemons and add some sweetener if it is too sharp.

Also I was recommended (when asking a similar question here) to purchase some menthol crystals from my local chemist. A couple of slithers in boiling water and inhale the steam. This helps with any congestion.

Hope you recover soon

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm not convinced you can do anything at all about having a cold.
I have bone soup and a hot water bottle or not depending how I'm feeling and just get on with it but but but ... I'm awkward.
Honey .... I have a conviction that comes from where I know not and is based on absolutely nothing that honey is something of a cure all comforter beneficial even for a diabetic sooooo ....I have around a half a teaspoon full maybe a little more ... everyday in yoghurt's.
My BS is averaging mid fives on fasting and hardly ever above sixes in the day unless I do something crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
The only way I ever treat a cold is with Paracetomol and freshly made hot lemon with honey. Short term I would rather have the honey than the stuff you buy over the counter, it's a natural product , hope the cold soon clears

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Paracetamol only for the pains, I was told by my consultant and wait ten days!

Most remedies include sugar, and most meds are full of them, so avoid!

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
A cold will take its own time.
I just take Paracetamol and Vick nose spray and Strepsils if my throat is sore,It releaves the symptons..
Strepsils are sugar free.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Plenty of hot drinks, paracetamol and chicken soup.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, lemons it is with a bit of sweetener otherwise I might look like this !!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have to swear by Echinacea, sorts me out, and gets rid of cold sores too if you catch it in time. They help your immune system. You can take a course but I find if I take 4 capsules at the onset and more in the afternoon it seems to nip it in the bud.

atseyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing to avoid if you have high blood pressure as well is any commercial remedy containing decongestant. It works by increasing your blood pressure!!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also recommend sinus saline washes, otherwise known as Netipots or Neil Med Saline wash. It is the first thing I do several times a day when I feel a cold coming on.
Elderberry extract is also an immune booster that specifically targets respiratory symptoms.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Regular use of a Netipot helps keep the sinuses healthy, but if you have any kind of blockage it will hurt like hell. I find Echinacea more effective in tincture form than tablets. Hot lemon drinks, curries and saunas will all help with symptoms, but a cold will run its course.