DVLA revoke licence even though GP advised me fit to drive

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I received a letter from the DVLA saying that my renewal application was being rejected on medical grounds, but the only reason they gave was that they did not believe I confirmed to their testing while driving requirements.

I have never had a hypo at the wheel, or one requiring assistance. Like all type 1 I get the odd "oooh I need to eat something" and then crisis averted. On the long trips e.g holiday/visiting family (8 trips a year approx) I do the full every 2 hours job, but my day to day drive is 0.9 miles to work and then back. I don't feel it necessary to test every day just having eaten breakfast as obviously I've just eaten so of course it will be higher. I have good hypo awareness, I know about a need to eat from around 4-4.5mmol, and the shaky/sweaty palms of it goes below that. By this point I have always treated. I do test at random points throughout the day, some of which are first thing and some of which are before driving home, I just don't do it every day for a 3 minute journey.

I had an appointment with my GP in relation to my application and he stated he wasn't recommending refusal and would write to the DVLA his findings. Yet my application was still refused.

I can cycle to work, but I often need to take heavy items and 3 days a week currently take my dog with me and wouldn't be able to get her bed and bowls on the bike too.

What frustrates me the most is that if the GP had recommended refusal 8 weeks ago we could have discussed remedial measures and if have a start, now I've got to play appointment lottery and whatever he can suggest to turn them round.

Anyone have any advice on this as I can't contact GP until Monday. Sorry it's a long rant, but I have been up all night stressing

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

Hi

im really sorry to read yr msg and understand yr frustration over the DVLA refusing to renew yr licence. Am I right in thinking that they requested a report to be done by yr GP showing bg tests and if so, were these tests at least 5 to 6 times during the day or were they just 4 times? Also, what is yr Hba1c usually at?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can I suggest that you call DVLA on Monday and talk to someone there as they are usually quite helpful.

The guidelines about testing before driving are quite clear so be careful what you say. Bear in mind that if you were involved in an accident, (however short your journey) and the Old Bill attended, you could be asked to show your meter and prove that you'd tested before getting behind the wheel.

Failure to observe the DVLA guidelines could land you in trouble and neither common sense nor your experience will have much relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually test 4-8 times per day depending on activity level usually (am quite sporty) although more if ill or if there has been a diet change (e.g I usually have the same lunch but if we do a work trip out and it's different I will test more.) I could accept if this isn't what the DVLA want to hear and I was advised of this by a medical professional when I always make an appointment close to renewal for this very purpose.

The bit I am really frustrated with is that my GP advised this was fine and what I was doing was no issue. If he'd said you need a record of specific journeys etc then I could have changed my regime. This same regime has got me my previous 3 licences. Literally nothing has changed. Other than my GP.

iHs

Are all yr bg levels above 5mmol with bg tests before you drive? If they are, look at the doc DIABINF and then see yr GP and get a copy of any correspondence between GP to DVLA.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
First thing you need to do is make sure your GP filled in the form correctly, it has been known for people including GP's to tick the wrong box regarding hypos.
Do you actually test before you get behind the wheel of a car? If not then you should do as this is a legal requirement.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Looking at the DIABINF doc......it states that it is acceptable to test bg no longer than 2hrs before the start of a journey and then every 2hrs during the Journey, so although its a legal requirement to test bg, it appears that its not necessay to do so directly before commencement of driving.
I might have read this wrong though so stand to be corrected if so.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Looking at the DIABINF doc......it states that it is acceptable to test bg no longer than 2hrs before the start of a journey and then every 2hrs during the Journey, so although its a legal requirement to test bg, it appears that its not necessay to do so directly before commencement of driving.
I might have read this wrong though so stand to be corrected if so.

I understand that to be correct also. I think its slightly clearer here....
https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-...-conditions-d-to-f#diabetes---insulin-treated

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read it the same as iHs.

As long as tests are within 2 hours. I was advised 'at times relevant to driving'. This is why I need to know if the DVLA and GP are interpreting this the same way. Sometimes I'll test at say 4, because that is 3 hours after I've eaten to check if my dosage was correct and then drive home at 5. If I've tested at 4 and it was OK I won't then test again at 4.45 just to drive home. If I was about to embark on a long drive at 5, then I would test again just before I set off then again every 2 hours.

I tend to run my bloods a little higher as I am prone to just going for a cycle and play sport regularly. Believe me I want to avoid a hypo as much as the DVLA want me to. All being a normal day between 6 and 8 is average for 2-3 hours after a meal. Higher if I'm testing and driving within 30 minutes of eating for obvious reasons.

I try to be a careful driver. I always have tester, glucose tablets, lucozade/other glucose and some cereal bars in the car. Never needed them and they get replaced if they are looking a bit out of date. I just don't know how to get them to understand that I do try to do the right thing. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place with no direction what I need to change.

As I said earlier my GP advised me I was fine to drive. I have requested a copy of the information provided by him to the DVLA. Problem is, I don't want to just reapply if the result is going to be the same, but as the GP has already advised me I was fine I don't know what to change.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But you did say in the first post that you don't test every day?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree it has changed that you have to have tested within 2 hours before driving.

Did you tick boxes to say you are hypo aware?

Did you tick the box correctly for assisted hypo's?

Other than that it would appear that your GP may have ticked a wring box.

If you mentioned to GP ref breakfast and then not testing before driving straight after he could have written this... However, having sat with a consultant years ago now whilst they completed the form.. There wasn't any room for them to write comments. It was just purely tick boxes.

I would phone DVLA and find out why they have been led to believe that you don't conform to teating.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It may be simply that your GP thinks that the DVLA requirement is to test directly before driving and is un informed that it is within 2 hours of getting behind the wheel... So he may well have ticked the wrong box due to the GP ignorance...

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't test immediately before driving every day. I know a number of diabetics and none of them do. I do test at other times during the day. Only testing before driving each day wouldnt help my overall bg control. Getting a bigger overall picture is far more useful than every day at 8.30 before driving to work. My GP clearly agrees with this. This is how I have tested for 17 years. Driving for 9 of those.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't test immediately before driving every day. I know a number of diabetics and none of them do. I do test at other times during the day. Only testing before driving each day wouldnt help my overall bg control. Getting a bigger overall picture is far more useful than every day at 8.30 before driving to work. My GP clearly agrees with this. This is how I have tested for 17 years. Driving for 9 of those.

So long as your GP ticked right box.

I used to test like you predriving until I had a driving incident almost 5 years ago. No more. After struggling to keep my licence I test immediately before driving no matter what.

I tested. Drove. Walked dogs for 50 mins. Got back in car to drive a 5 min journey and ended up pulling off road to eat sweets. Then ambulance and police arrived. Was ok but it put my life in hell whilst they decided whether I kept my licence.....

No way could I ever go through that **** again.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yes but do you test in the morning wthin 2hrs of the start of your journey? If you do and you can prove it with your meter (if asked to do so) then everything should work out fine in the end.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes but do you test in the morning wthin 2hrs of the start of your journey? If you do and you can prove it with your meter (if asked to do so) then everything should work out fine in the end.

Unless the GP has misinterpreted the current rules!!!
In which case this is grounds for appeal and also to write a case to the Practice Manager (at least) to ensure that ALL their GP's are aware that testing rules are within 2 hrs.

Petronica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic!
So today I received a letter from the DVLA saying that my renewal application was being rejected on medical grounds, but the only reason they gave was that they did not believe I confirmed to their testing while driving requirements.

I have never had a hypo at the wheel, or one requiring assistance. Like all type 1 I get the odd "oooh I need to eat something" and then crisis averted. On the long trips e.g holiday/visiting family (8 trips a year approx) I do the full every 2 hours job, but my day to day drive is 0.9 miles to work and then back. I don't feel it necessary to test every day just having eaten breakfast as obviously I've just eaten so of course it will be higher. I have good hypo awareness, I know about a need to eat from around 4-4.5mmol, and the shaky/sweaty palms of it goes below that. By this point I have always treated. I do test at random points throughout the day, some of which are first thing and some of which are before driving home, I just don't do it every day for a 3 minute journey.

I had an appointment with my GP in relation to my application and he stated he wasn't recommending refusal and would write to the DVLA his findings. Yet my application was still refused.

I can cycle to work, but I often need to take heavy items and 3 days a week currently take my dog with me and wouldn't be able to get her bed and bowls on the bike too.

What frustrates me the most is that if the GP had recommended refusal 8 weeks ago we could have discussed remedial measures and if have a start, now I've got to play appointment lottery and whatever he can suggest to turn them round.

Anyone have any advice on this as I can't contact GP until Monday. Sorry it's a long rant, but I have been up all night stressing

Petronica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic!
I think that given a recommendation has been made for your licence to be withdrawn, you need to get a copy of the GP's report, so you know for sure the basis on which this decision was made, and if there is scope for appeal. If it was me, I would, in the first instance, put the request in writing to the GP, for them to consider when they return to work next Monday. I realise that the Practice may not have a copy of the report, but I think it is right to say that the GP would have to agree the disclosure of its contents, as third party information, because he wrote the report. Having read all the posts, it seems that there is so much scope for 'interpretation' in these reports, that not knowing exactly how each questions was dealt with by the GP, it's well nigh impossible to know how best to proceed. Good luck and keep us posted.

natasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

im really sorry to read yr msg and understand yr frustration over the DVLA refusing to renew yr licence. Am I right in thinking that they requested a report to be done by yr GP showing bg tests and if so, were these tests at least 5 to 6 times during the day or were they just 4 times? Also, what is yr Hba1c usually at?

natasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been reading the various comments with regard to approval of renewing driving licences by the DVLA. Previously my licence has been renewed with no problems, however, over the last month's I've had extreme problems with them actually renewing my licence. They sent my renewed licence to me and said that it had been issued incorrectly as there were further reasons for them to refuse my licence. They sent DR1 and M1 form which I duly completed and returned to them. As with other people have commented my GP and my Consultant have said that I am able to drive with no concerns as to my diabetic control. I cannot understand why there are questions they are asking with renewal of my licence as nothing has changed since my last renewal. Any comments would be much appreciated!