Use of whey protein powder

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have come across quite a number of recipes that call for protein powder. Has anyone had experience of using this as a baking ingredient and is it ok for lchf diet? I thought it was used by body builders to bulk up - definitely don't need to do that!!

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i have used the strawberry one in desserts i make cheesecakes etc it certainly tates nice , and didnt affect my lchf diet one bit, i went on to lose 9 stone i dont want to bulk out so give it up but do try it for yourself and expierment with it . lots of recipes to try good luck let us know how you go on xx

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's highly unlikely that whey powder would have any "bulking" effect on your muscles unless it was combined with some sort of resistance/weight training. Even then, bulking is not common in women unless they have excess testosterone. If you don't have particularly good muscle definition, having extra protein may even help. Having a good amount of lean muscle tissue is very helpful for diabetics, so gaining some would be a bonus for most people, especially as we age.

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's highly unlikely that whey powder would have any "bulking" effect on your muscles unless it was combined with some sort of resistance/weight training. Even then, bulking is not common in women unless they have excess testosterone. If you don't have particularly good muscle definition, having extra protein may even help. Having a good amount of lean muscle tissue is very helpful for diabetics, so gaining some would be a bonus for most people, especially as we age.
Great, thank you. I'll give some of the recipes a try in that case!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought of buying some whey protein powder as I had seen this in recipes so I asked in a couple of H&B's and another chain of health shops why it would be beneficial in baking recipes and they said they had never heard of it being used in cooking but probably cooking it would kill off any benefits it has so maybe it would not do any harm but they would not recommend it to be used like that . They said it is normally taken as a protein supplement drink by people who exercise hard, body builders and sport players etc who need the extra protein and they have it as a drink with milk or water. If taken with a normal diet if you don't do those things it could be to much protein for the kidneys to cope with. They clearly did not want to sell me any as an elderly woman I did not fit any of those those categories so no I did not buy it lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought of buying some whey protein powder as I had seen this in recipes so I asked in a couple of H&B's and another chain of health shops why it would be beneficial in baking recipes and they said they had never heard of it being used in cooking but probably cooking it would kill off any benefits it has so maybe it would not do any harm but they would not recommend it to be used like that . They said it is normally taken as a protein supplement drink by people who exercise hard, body builders and sport players etc who need the extra protein and they have it as a drink with milk or water. If taken with a normal diet if you don't do those things it could be to much protein for the kidneys to cope with. They clearly did not want to sell me any as an elderly woman I did not fit any of those those categories so no I did not buy it lol
Would have loved it if you had flexed your bulging biceps at them and told them not to make swift judgements on first impressions:D

Reactions: Shas3

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have come across quite a number of recipes that call for protein powder. Has anyone had experience of using this as a baking ingredient and is it ok for lchf diet? I thought it was used by body builders to bulk up - definitely don't need to do that!!
It's a way of increasing protein intake and adding a sweetened flavouring that doesn't have to contain a load of carbs. Typically that's what it is used for in recipes. It's not the whey protein that helps you bulk up, it's the weightlifting. The Whey protein provides the amino acids to help rebuild the muscles post workout. Be aware of the amount you are using though. Whey protein is also used to trigger an insulin response in body builders to get those amino acids into the muscles.

Due to this action, you may see an increase in BG levels after eating recipes using it (depending on the amounts involved). You'll need to monitor your BG levels.

Reactions: 4 people