Is there an alternative to Metformin?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Kimbo1962, I see from your post that you could not tolerate the Metformin medication. May I ask you what symptoms you had as my mum is also not coping too well with it. xx
I had the most common issue of really bad upset tummy problems, hard to leave the house! I also just felt really wiped out somehow as if a brick had hit me! Soon as I started forxiga it was like a switch had been flicked and I felt great.

Reactions: 3 people

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please may I ask if anyone knows if there is an alternative to Metformin? I have a 73-year-old friend who is a Type 2 and Metformin is making his life a misery. His stomach is constantly upset. I think he takes Gliclazide too but his readings seem constantly too high and I am worried for him.This past week he has had a flu type virus that has sent his readings up to sitting around 23 and I persuaded him those levels were becoming dangerously high, so he did phone for advice and a doctor met him at the out-of-hours clinic at the hospital but promptly sent him home with instructions just to double his Metformin.Now his stomach is so upset he cannot even leave the house.
Personally, I think he'd be better off on insulin now as even on a good day his readings only seem to sit around the 9 mark and I feel he'll be heading for complications if his doctor won't help him get his readings down.His doctor just said there is no alternative to Metformin, so if he can't tolerate it, he cannot give him anything else at all.Full stop.I've told him there must be something else he can take to help.
I think he thinks I'm just a fuss-pot, so what can I do to help? If I had a definite suggestion of an alternative to Metformin, at least that might ease his constantly upset stomach and make his life more bearable.
I too and my twin sister took Metformin with resulting stomach problems. However, my doctor suggested that as I was on the maximum dose I should go on to insulin. I really wish I hadn't because my diabetic control is not good. However, when my twin sister mentioned to her doctor about Metformin effects he said that the stomach upsets would mean she wasn't absorbing enough Metformin anyway so he cut her dose! Result is she no longer has stomach upsets and her diabetic control is very good.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I accompanied my friend yesterday at her endocrinologist's visit. She couldn't tolerate Metformin and he switched her to Glumetza, an alternative to Metformin. She said this morning that she had not side effects at all, no upset stomach, no diarrhea etc.

"Although other long-acting forms of metformin are available (such as Glucophage XR® and Fortamet®), Glumetza is not equivalent to these products. Glumetza is specially designed to release the medication in the stomach, not in the intestines (as with other metformin products). This may decrease the intestinal-related side effects (such as diarrhea and gas).

Who Makes It?
Glumetza is manufactured by Depomed, Inc.

How Does Glumetza Work?
Glumetza is part of a class of diabetes medications known as biguanide medications. Glumetza works in several ways. It decreases the amount of sugar (glucose) made by the liver. It can also decrease the amount of sugar absorbed into the body from the diet and can make insulin receptors more sensitive, helping the body respond to its own insulin better. All of these effects cause a decrease in blood sugar levels and lead to better control of diabetes.

Because Glumetza does not increase the amount of insulin produced by the body, it is less likely to cause dangerously low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), like many other diabetes medications can."

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I know this post was a long time ago but I noticed you said your friends' endocrinologist prescribed her Glumetza. I cannot find a UK supplier, Boots cannot find it in the UK. Which hospital did your friend visit and maybe I could contact them.
Many thanks

VimuktBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I accompanied my friend yesterday at her endocrinologist's visit. She couldn't tolerate Metformin and he switched her to Glumetza, an alternative to Metformin. She said this morning that she had not side effects at all, no upset stomach, no diarrhea etc.

"Although other long-acting forms of metformin are available (such as Glucophage XR® and Fortamet®), Glumetza is not equivalent to these products. Glumetza is specially designed to release the medication in the stomach, not in the intestines (as with other metformin products). This may decrease the intestinal-related side effects (such as diarrhea and gas).

Who Makes It?

How Does Glumetza Work?
Glumetza is part of a class of diabetes medications known as biguanide medications. Glumetza works in several ways. It decreases the amount of sugar (glucose) made by the liver. It can also decrease the amount of sugar absorbed into the body from the diet and can make insulin receptors more sensitive, helping the body respond to its own insulin better. All of these effects cause a decrease in blood sugar levels and lead to better control of diabetes.

Because Glumetza does not increase the amount of insulin produced by the body, it is less likely to cause dangerously low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), like many other diabetes medications can."

Who Makes It?

How Does Glumetza Work?

VimuktBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Glumetza is Metformin only....but extended release...However, your explanation of how it functions ( Meant for stomach not intestine) sounds great and due to this (stomach not intestine) I guess on emight get rid of Metformin after effects like nausea, dizziness & diarrhea

Link removed as a commercial site.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonnieZink

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Group activities, health workers who believe they know better than I about what I am feeling, health workers who do not listen to me, health workers who condescend to me because I am chronically ill in more ways than one!
I know, but:

Glumetza is specially designed to release the medication in the stomach, not in the intestines (as with other metformin products). This may decrease the intestinal-related side effects (such as diarrhea and gas).

I guess it is worth trying, my friend didn't have any of the bad side effects she had with Metformin.

Just trying to help.

I just switched from regular Metformin, which produced all sorts of nasty side effects, to Glumetza (1000 mg at breakfast and dinner). Almost overnight many of my gastrointestinal and bowel distress symptoms seemed to have disappeared. I am watching it closely, but am hopeful that it will bring me out of that special ring of hell that standard Metformin caused.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi I am also on metformin and i dont tolerate it ,so my doc prescribed a ppi such as omeprazole which helps to reduce stomach acid an this works well , i also am on lumixiar 20 mg daily an this causes nausea so the omeprazole helps with that . just might help with stomach upsets x

Hardhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please may I ask if anyone knows if there is an alternative to Metformin? I have a 73-year-old friend who is a Type 2 and Metformin is making his life a misery. His stomach is constantly upset. I think he takes Gliclazide too but his readings seem constantly too high and I am worried for him.This past week he has had a flu type virus that has sent his readings up to sitting around 23 and I persuaded him those levels were becoming dangerously high, so he did phone for advice and a doctor met him at the out-of-hours clinic at the hospital but promptly sent him home with instructions just to double his Metformin.Now his stomach is so upset he cannot even leave the house.
Personally, I think he'd be better off on insulin now as even on a good day his readings only seem to sit around the 9 mark and I feel he'll be heading for complications if his doctor won't help him get his readings down.His doctor just said there is no alternative to Metformin, so if he can't tolerate it, he cannot give him anything else at all.Full stop.I've told him there must be something else he can take to help.
I think he thinks I'm just a fuss-pot, so what can I do to help? If I had a definite suggestion of an alternative to Metformin, at least that might ease his constantly upset stomach and make his life more bearable.
Did he try Janumet ?

senior1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had problems when I was on metformin and Gliclazide The metformin was affecting my kidney function and the Gliclazide gave me really bad constipation so much so that I had a perforated bowel that turned in an abscess and required surgery to drain it. I decided to stop taking both Metformin and gliclazide and went to see my doctor after a discussion about the alternatives he started me on insulin (Novamix 30) it took about 4 weeks to get the right dosage but since then my energy levels have gone back to what they used to be and I generally feel better in myself

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I have just changed my Metformin 500mg tablets to the SR release ones, I got a prescription for them yesterday, unfortunately the chemist has to order them so will be starting them in a couple of days. I had upset tummy and constipation on the Metformin so here`s hoping I will feel ok with the SR ones, by the way only for this website and all the lovely people on here I would never have known there were SR ones.:):)

NaplesNative

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried regular metformin, then the extended release, and they caused severe stomach aches, and severe diarrhea. I was then taking Glumetza and it worked great. Now the Company that makes Glumetza charges a minimum of 1,000.00 to 5,000.00 for a months supply and this is with insurance. I am now without, and I am trying to get help from the company, by filling out an an application since I can't afford it. I will take advice and look up some of the other medications that were listed. I also have looked up and Glumetza will give you B12 deficiency, and I have also been diagnosed with that just within the last 6 months/

NaplesNative

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are herbal "alternatives".
If you wish I will share, but not at the expense of starting an argument on the forum.
I'm too chilled on red wine and don't want to spoil it- hic:grin:
I would be interested in seeing what you have to say. Thank you.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also had terrible problems with Metformin and was prescribed Forxiga ((Dapagliflosin) which has been great

Sine1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I also had terrible problems with Metformin and was prescribed Forxiga ((Dapagliflosin) which has been great
I had been taking Forxiga for 10 months and had to come off it due to infections, but in all that time I had to take Metformin as well.

Its only in the last couple of months that I knew Metformin came in modified release. My Doctor put me on it when I mentioned (again) the constant diarrhea I was plagued with. I have suffered from "the runs", for easily 15 years and did not know that Metformin had anything to do with it! I feel so ignorant!

wsgfreggrA@12

Meglitinides such as repaglinide and nateglinide are oral diabetes medicined that help stimulate insulin production in the pancreas, notes FamilyDoctor.org. However meglitinides can cause hypoglycemia and should not be taken with alcohol, explains the American Diabetes Association. read more about this drug here https://www.researchbook.co/type-2-diabetes/ hope i have made a valid point

Shady_Nook

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed last June I was given metformin, after a week it was obvious I couldn't tolerate it and expected to be given the Sr version, instead the nurse practitioner gave me forxiga and I had no problems at all with it, it's still fairly new- may not be suitable for all of us, like most things it's down to individuals. I'm now, since mid January meds free and diet exercise only
What an inspiration you are. I am newly diagnosed and following a very strict diet 800 cals a day plus daily walks and weekend rambles! I have lost 21lb in 8 weeks, had a few days away a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of glasses of red wine and a small portion of chips (heaven!) finding it hard sometimes but I'm determined to stay med free. Got first fasting blood test in January since diagnosis, whatever happens I feel and look so much better.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing so very well!! I really need to get back to being a regular on here, I've lapsed, in lots of ways, lots of reasons, but I'm determined to get back on track! Currently still meds free but just asked my gp to let me go back on forxiga....awaiting bloods next week :/

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dust
I have a daily injection Lyxumia as i cannot take Metfirmin due to an autoimmune disease i have. It works pretty much the same plus also helps with weight loss. I lost 72lb in 9 months!!

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb diet and moderate exercise where possible is the best alternative.