retinal screening

chrissieworne

Hi all'
I have been called for my first retinal screening at the eye unit in the local hospital. (diagnosed with t2 8 wks ago)I was feeling ok about it till I read the leaflets and now i am scared because it says i may have blurred vision for hours afterwards. It also says the poss side effects are continued blurriness with "rainbow halos" and pain. Apparently all due to the drops they use.

Is this a necessary test because I had my eyes tested at specsavers and they did the pressure reading (fine) the puff thing in the eyes, checked peripheral vision and photographed the retina etc? I need new reading glasses but apart from that it all seems ok,

What is this retinal testing really like, am i being a baby?

chrissie

Dobbs

hi chrissieworne,
I had my first one done about two weeks ago. It's really no problem at all. The first guy gave me the standard reading test and concluded my eyesight was exactly the same as it was eight years ago. After that he put the solution in my eyes - not painful in any way, no different than getting water in your eyes. Made my eyes slightly blurry but not excessively. Then after about 20 minutes the second guy did the actual test and shone lights into my eyes. The only slight difficulty was when I walked out of the hospital afterwards into the sunny afternoon - I had to shield my eyes from the bright sun. I took a tram home; driving is probably not a great idea. But within an hour or two things were back to normal, no aftereffects or anything.
So don't worry, it's a doddle.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
hi chrissie,

I had my first retinal screening done about 6 weeks ago at my local hospital, I was told all the stuff about bringing dark glasses with me and someone else to drive me home etc etc.

Well, it was mildly irritating when I had the dilation drops dropped into my eyes, it sort of made me wince and move my head back, but I'm a total baby when it comes to stuff like that :lol:

I was then told to go and sit in the waiting room for about 10 minutes while my eyes dilated, after that I was told to sit and look at a spot on the wall and a photography flash went off, I was then asked to look to one side and the flash was repeated. This was done to both eyes and was no problem at all.

After it was done I waited while the doctor had a look at my photos and was given the result verbally he said that the official notes would go to my diabetic nurse. All this took about 10 minutes and after that I could see just as good as when I went in, in fact I could have driven home no problem. No blurred vision, no halo's nothing.

The worst part was when the drops were put in and to be honest that wasn't that bad, so don't be worried, there really is nothing to worry about.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Oh and I was told that it is really important to have an annual retinal scan done so the photos can be compared one years against the next to see if there is any improvement or ongoing damage.

Regards

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Well to put a different spin on it I had completely the opposite happen

Was booked in for 8.45am and really struggled walking to the bus station afterwards. Couldn't see my phone screen so couldn't phone for a taxi. Went home for an hour before going back to the office to wait it out. Didn't get any better..at all ...all day! Sat in my shades in the office, looked in the mirror once an hour and my pupils stayed massive until after teatime. Ended up with a massive headache and couldn't even watch telly that night because my eyes were so sore.

Needless to say I was a bit wound up about it, and will be booking the day off next year!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ive had mine done 5 times now and apart from a little stinging for a couple of seconds ive been ok, if its a sunny day then take sunglasses as they help u see better,
its nothing to worry about at all :D

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Off for my screening this afternoon :shock: , have arranged for father to take me, taking sunglasses for after (it might be sunny anyway). This will be my third time and from previous experiences the effects have lasted about 4 hours after, but no trouble after that.

Lets hope all will be ok, and nothing to worry about.

Take care

Rachel

poppyowner

I was diagnosed in end January of this year and had my first Retinal Screening done this March. The test etc was painless, like others said - I did wince when out in sunlight again on way home - I had my Mum with me and I do believe apart from the brightness factor I could see well enough to have driven. I won't ever chance it though - as too late if a problem did arise.
My test showed problems so although not a nice experience (eye surgery for Retinal Detatchment) I was told IF it hadn't been detected then I would've been 100% blind in that eye by Xmas!!!
My advice is ...........ALWAYS attend your Retinal Screenings and whatever you may suffer as a result - headache, blurry vision temporarily etc MUST be better than blindness!
I thank God I was diagnosed with Diabetes as otherwise I may never have known about my eye until it was too late - my good eye was compensating so well I never knew there was a problem at all !
Good luck with your testing

Jill

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Last time I went,I got a bus nearly there and walked the last 2 miles( I hate changing buses and don't mind walking). Arranged for daughter to come pick me up. Got a look at the computer screen and,knowing what a retina should look like, was pleased to find mine OK.
Letter arrived a couple of weeks later . Says I have slight changes, but nothing needs treatment.

Spiral

i have my first screening on Friday afternoon. I won't be going back to work afterwards.

I'm going to assume the test is a bit like the laser eye surgery assessment I had done about a year ago. I didn't opt for the surgery, they tried to sell it to me as a risk free procedure and I didn't beleive them because they minimised my risk factors - dry eyes, possibility of diabetes. I didn't want to risk my night vision.

The drops that went in to my eyes for that test still had my pupils dilated about 24 hours later - but I am quite sensitive to bright sunlight. I will be taking my new prescription sunglasses and my sun hat on Friday! Do they use the same drops, I wonder?

It is a nice walk home from the hospital, so unless it is chucking it down with rain I'll probably walk home, although I do like walking in the rain so may indulge in this :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya chrissie,
how did u find it??

chrissieworne

Hi Totsy
Haven't been yet, its in 2 weeks time, just thought i'd panic now!!! Am really irritable today, think it's this heat?
Will keep ya posted. Thanks for asking.

Chrissie :lol: