ED and neuropathy

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 11 months ago......then re categorised to lada. My feet are numb and sore as are my hands. I also suffer from ed. All of these have been getting worse although my hb1ac is 5.8.....I have tried sidenafil but doesnt work....does neuropathy get worse? Is there anything I can do?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reaman, yes, there's a lot you can do, and don't let anyone tell you there isn't. :)

Here's two links to recent discussions here about neuropathy...

Read the posts carefully. They offer a lot of hope...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/help-in-dealing-with-neuropathy.74653/

Read this one for the book review - (first post)...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/book-review-neuropathy-by-philip-a-straw-d-c.76543/

I've got one more book on peripheral neuropathy coming. It should be here tomorrow. I'll try to post a review on it here this week.

From what I've read so far, it's a matter of

1) getting your blood glucose tightly controlled on a daily basis,
2) starting the low carb, high fat, moderate protein (LCHF) diet,
3) getting the cheapest monitor and test strips you can find locally or online to monitor your blood glucose daily, preferably fasting and 2-hours post breakfast, lunch, and dinner,
4) taking specific nutritional supplements, and
5) exercising every day even if it's only walking short distances to start.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's got to be so hard. Others here have reversed, lessened, or stopped the progression of their diabetic neuropathy here. Hoping you can add your name to that list. :)

What's your status in these five areas listed above? Have you read any books on diabetes yet? Which ones?

It's good you're asking questions. Keep asking. :)

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bloods are stable but my neuropathy is getting worse. I will try lower carbs..and I take b 12

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reaman, I'm not sure yet what nutritional supplement would be your best bet if you only take one. It was actually B-1, not B-12, that helped one of our forum members, and it was a specific form too. I have to go right now, but will be back in four hours. I need to do a little research...

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.....I will try that. My bloods never go above 7...the neuropathy is more of a problem for me than the diabetes at the moment. ..

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick follow-up...

Here's information on the B1 vitamin that reversed gemma6549's diabetic neuropathy - (read her posts in the first link I posted for you above)...

Additional information posted by Tim2000s: "Worth looking at Benfotiamine, which is a lipid absorbable version of Thiamine. This means that it is more easily absorbed by the body tissues so you don't need as high a dose of it as you do of Thiamine. Thiamine is the water soluble form."

Gemma6549 confirmed it was Benfotiamine that worked for her.

It will be a while before I'll have time to read and post a review on the book, Defeat Neuropathy Now (2012) by Valerie Monteiro, D.C. and John Coppola, D.C., but I have it in hand and it has more information than Neuropathy (2014) by Philip A. Straw, a book I recently reviewed. Click here to read it... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/book-review-neuropathy-by-philip-a-straw-d-c.76543/

I like Dr. Straw's diet better than the one in Dr. Monteiro's and Dr. Coppola's book - (their diet is too carb rich for my diabetes) - but both diets encourage eating healthy fats which is good for those of us who have benefitted from the low carb, high fat, moderate protein (LCHF) diet.

For now, these are the nutrients listed for diabetic neuropathy in the chapter, "Nutrients To Heal Nerves" in the Defeat Neuropathy Now book...

Antioxidents
Alpha-Lipoic Acid
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)
Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC)
Omega 3's
B-complex (daily)
B1, B3, B5, B6, and B12 (authors provided additional information on these B vitamins)

Dr. Straw, in his book, Neuropathy, lists these nutrients...

Alpha Lipoic Acid
N-Acetylcysteine
L-Glutamine
Selenium
Vitamin B - "Finally, stable vitamin B1 and B12 levels are essential for healthy nerves. Benfotiamine is a special form of B1 and has been shown to be effective in treating some painful nerve conditions."

Reaman, sounds like you know what you need to do. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I will definitely try them. The neuropathy is getting me down. The ED is also very depressing ....again it has gotten worse despite hb1ac of 43
....tried sidenafil which half worked but no longer does. Is there anything which might help this. Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
reaman, it just occurred to me that if it's a blood flow issue, vitamin K2 (with A & D3) might be the answer. Did a quick search and found this encouraging article...

http://morningsteel.com/2015/02/vitamins-for-ed/

To learn more about the research on K2, here's an interview with Canadian naturopath Kate Rheaume-Bleue, B.Sc., N.D. who wrote an excellent book on how K2 (with A & D3) moves calcium out of the soft tissues (arteries) into the teeth and bones. Atherosclerosis is a commonly problem associated with diabetes - (no reference is made to ED in the interview or the book but if the problem is a blockage, this might be an answer for you)...

This supplement strategy stopped my chest pains. I'd give this strategy a minimum of three months if you decide to try it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, forgot to tell you what I supplement with each morning...

180 mcg. K2 (MK-7 sourced from natto)
1 teaspoon cod liver oil (for vitamin A; store in refridgerator after opening)
1,000 IU D3

I also switched to butter from grass fed cows (Kerrygold) and eat an ounce of gouda cheese a couple of times a week. :)