Is it possible

Marzeater

for diabetes to be caused by stress and injury?
The reason I'm asking is that I wasn't aware or I wasn't showing any of the classic syptoms of diabetes until I was knocked off my motor bike last June.
It was the doctor in the hospital following a urine test who suggested I see my GP.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Unlikely,
but it is often discovered whilst something wlse is being treated. Early T2, doesn't have very obvious symptoms. that's why they think that at any time, Many T2s are undiagnosed.

peppiB

Both my DN and Asthma nurses tell me my illnesses are aggrevated by the stress of my function as a carer. My BS and blood pressure are considerably lower when my charge is away in respite care.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Stress makes coping more difficult and as a carer, you probably don't have much time for yourself. Your focus is on your "charge".

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I went to the doctors with stress and came out with diabetes!! :shock:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stress doesn't cause diabetes, but makes it show sooner.

A human body that is under stress of any kind (emotional stress or physical, e.g illness) becomes more insulin resistant and therefore needs more insulin (maybe 50% more) to control bs.
Normally, a non-diabetic automatically makes more insulin to compensate.
If you're already struggling to make enough insulin, or becoming resistant to it, the stress may mean your body just can't make or use the extra insulin it needs at this time. So your bs rises and diabetes shows up when your doctor does tests. The stress alone wouldn't have made you diabetic if your insulin production/insulin senstivity was normal. It just made diabetes show up earlier.

In the same way, stress certainly aggravates diabetes by making bs/resistance increase while we try to control it manually. Also, if you're severely stressed it's harder to make rational decisions about dose changes etc, and to stick to the diet that works for you.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
LittleSue said:
Stress doesn't cause diabetes, but makes it show sooner.

A human body that is under stress of any kind (emotional stress or physical, e.g illness) becomes more insulin resistant and therefore needs more insulin (maybe 50% more) to control bs.
Normally, a non-diabetic automatically makes more insulin to compensate.
If you're already struggling to make enough insulin, or becoming resistant to it, the stress may mean your body just can't make or use the extra insulin it needs at this time. So your bs rises and diabetes shows up when your doctor does tests. The stress alone wouldn't have made you diabetic if your insulin production/insulin senstivity was normal. It just made diabetes show up earlier.

In the same way, stress certainly aggravates diabetes by making bs/resistance increase while we try to control it manually. Also, if you're severely stressed it's harder to make rational decisions about dose changes etc, and to stick to the diet that works for you.

I knew that!!!!! :lol: :lol:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sugarless sue said:
I went to the doctors with stress and came out with diabetes!! :shock:

... and now you go to the doctors with diabetes and come out stressed!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Our Sue....Stressed ? You must be joking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken.

Spiral

Cortisol is the stress hormone, I have read up on it recently as someone suggested that it might be partly responsible for my rosacea.

However, it does have links with insulin and you can either google it or look it up here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

I think I was destined to have diabetes - gestational diabetes, famly history, way to much weight - but I think stress influenced the timing.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I was included in diabetes & heart screening in my 50s, including the GTT. I was not at risk. I was even assured that chol of 6.4 was not significant in view of the absence counter-indications.

I then had a road accident - a French tanker I was overtaking changed lanes on the motorway & hit the rear n/s of my car, spun me in front of him so his n/s corner hit my n/s door, spun me across all 3 lanes & back, I crossed the hard shoulder & hit a sloping bank at 45° & come back on the hard shoulder where I stopped safely. Remarkable divine protection!

Subsequently I started diabetes, & that stress I thought was a contributing factor. The Dr of course said, "No."

A youngster I used to play tennis with 50 years ago was fit & active. His foreman had a stroke & the shock of that caused pancreas failure. Edward died of instant diabetes.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Or do you think diabetes can be bought on by a combination of medication perhaps? i only ask as recently having emerged from A&E with strong painkillers and antibiotics, and having just finished a course of steriods i had classic symptoms. I ran to the toilet 8 times within 30minutes tested my keytones 4+ and tested bs on sons monitor, to be 11.4. Next day i stopped medication and over 3 days all signs disappeared. I honestly think the combination of drugs where affecting my pancreas, do you think this was possible?
Suzi x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Steroids can definitely cause type 2 diabetes ,especially when you are on a long term high dose.

jumbleannie

I had a peroid in my life when I was suffering from high stress levels for 18 months. 12 months into that period I was diagnosed as T2. Six months later the person causing the stress got out of my life, hopefully forever, and my diagnosis went from T2 to Pre diabetic. (Went back to docs for a recount because I was monitering my bs and they had dropped so muchI couldn't understand it). :? So it may not cause it , but it sure can effect it a great deal. Go back for another blood test tomorrow so can't wait to see what results will be this time as I still don't know wether to count myself as diabetic or not. Just out of curiosity does anyone know how much research has been done on this subject?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi jumbleannie.

You asked what research had been done into Stress being the cause of Diabetes ?

You can find many links on the internet, but no proof. Not that stands up to scrutiny anyway.

The majority of 'evidence' is anecdotal as understandably there is a distinct shortage of people willing to put themselves into a stressful situation for a long period which a clinical trial would need. Therefore you will not find much to give anything conclusive.

There are many who maintain it does, many who say it is just co-incidence ? Who knows ?

Ken.