Multiple Kids

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! It's been a few months, but I'm happy to report I have a healthy little (big) boy. My sugars were good throughout my pregnancy, but of course it was a bit of a rollercoaster once I got toward the middle of my second trimester and over correcting highs. I was freaking out and so worried about the baby. I had a c section at 37.5 weeks and baby was in the NICU for a week with breathing problems. They still aren't sure if it was because his lungs weren't fully developed yet or he had an infection. Anyways, he is almost 3 months and doing great now. He is big and has been since birth, but doctors say that is thanks to my husband who looks like a linebacker and was also a very big boy growing up too. Always the tallest in his class and had a HUGE head since birth. Luckily, he grew into it because he's no 6 ft. 3 in. :)

I was just wondering if any of you have multiple children. I want to have another baby in about a year or two, but I'm a little scared. I developed slow growing retinothopy in my last pregnancy. Plus, having my baby in the NICU and being told how diabetic moms often miscarry or have stillbirths in their final weeks throughout my whole pregnancy does not help my fears either. My doctors said it would be fine if I keep my sugars in line, but I'm still nervous. Especially because when you are prego, keeping your sugars in line is sometimes easier said than done. I am hoping to hear some success stories to encourage me and make me less scared. I really want my son to have a sibling to grow up with!

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lindsay! Huge congrats on the arrival of your son, what's his name? I can't offer any advice as am in same boat as you but wanted to offer my congrats. Hope you're enjoying motherhood- it's such a roller coaster but amazing i think...my daughter is now 14 weeks and becoming such fun it's much more rewarding. X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Congratulations that is wonderful news :)

Best wishes RRB

Lilym13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and first of all a big congratulations
I can't give much advice as to the entire journey but i had my daughter 2 and half years ago and we are now trying for our second. I think i forgot how hard it was the first time around, but when it comes down to it, you have done it once to know what to expect-ish
I would say though that i felt the same as you when my daughter was young but i think its true what they say and you do do forget and i'm feeling much less scared and ready for the journey, i am sure once you are ready for no2 you will feel the same :)

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everybody!! My son's name is Hunter and I am obsessed with him. I love him so much. He's 11 weeks today but looks like he's about 8 or 9 months, lol. He's a mini me of my husband who was the same way. Here's a picture, I love him too much:
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1431647147.183490.jpg

Well, I am definitely going to stay in this board because it helped me feel so much better during my first pregnancy. I will let you guys know about the second one, but that won't be for a year or two still. :)

Reactions: 4 people

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He's gorgeous! I don't think it is possible to love your child too much....I'm similarly obsessed with my daughter and my Hubbie finds it hilarious! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks everybody!! My son's name is Hunter and I am obsessed with him. I love him so much. He's 11 weeks today but looks like he's about 8 or 9 months, lol. He's a mini me of my husband who was the same way. Here's a picture, I love him too much: View attachment 13455

Well, I am definitely going to stay in this board because it helped me feel so much better during my first pregnancy. I will let you guys know about the second one, but that won't be for a year or two still. :)

What a wonderful smile, my neighbour had a baby boy and he's about the same age as yours. He has a very good pair of lungs lol

Enjoy and be amazed, I can't believe my tiny little baby is now a teen ( and a one gorgeous too) X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Lindsay ,
I haven't got any advice to give either as I have a 4 week old , and he will be the only one we will have ,
But just wanted to say a massive congratulations on your baby boy x

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughters baby (she's not diabetic I am ) was tiny born at 39 weeks and off the bottom of the scale, her birth weight went down to 4lb 10oz, she's one tomorrow and although still short! for her age she's perfect. Just enjoy your son, all children are different and deserve all the love and care we can give them. My opinion would be to give your son the sibling/s you want x

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations!
I don't have any advice/experience re multiple kids either, alas, but am following this as the same has been on my mind. Our daughter is now 9 months and tho I till few months back was quite sure that we'd remain a 1 child family, it now doesn't seem like a totally impossible thing to have another. Well, the desire is there. As are the complications... Not sure how feasible a 2nd pregnancy really is (with super lasered eyes especially). So, yes - very curious to hear how it has been for others x

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Hi

I'm expecting my 4th and have type 1. My 1st was a single one, induction at 38+6 failure to progress and emergency cs. He was thankfully fine apart from a bit of low blood sugar treated with formula. He got jaundice at 7 days and we were readmitted for that but were out again in 24 hours. No breathing issues or anything like that and he was 8lb 4. The next pg I miscarried. Just one of those things. The next pg I had twins. They came rather early at 33 weeks and by vbac. Labour not brought on by diabetes. Thankfully they were pretty good given their early arrival but needed help with keeping warm and feeding. I am now expecting no. 4 which is really nerve wracking as completely unplanned.

All the others were planned and my hba1c was under 7 or in some cases under 6 before I conceived. I had occasional highs (and rather more lows) throughout the pregnancies but thankfully avoided any complications. It's not easy and I find it incredibly stressful, particularly the night hypos but it's worth it for the end result.

It really helps if you have a supportive consultant and not someone who will make you feel bad. I felt with the twins that I had more negotiating room as I knew better what was happening and they listened to me more during labour.

Ultimately it's your decision but I hope this reassures you a little. I have 2 friends with type 1 one of whom has 2 children and another has 4.