Cold hands

alf15

Hi guys/girls,

Type 1 for about 8 months (26year old male) and for the past few months or so my hands have been like blocks of ice! Sometimes i'd check my b/s and I would be low and after a bit of lucazade my hands would warm up.

But then sometimes Id get cold hands and Id check my b/s and it would be 5 or 6 or 7! Any reason for this? Is this something I have to get use to now or do I have very poor circulation now due to diabetes?

My diabetic team say its nothing to do with getting diabetes, But it has only started since I got diabetes.

Thanks

Alan

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Alan.

Here is a symptom checker for cold hands. Might help answer your question ?

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/cold_hands.htm

Might just be a coincidence that it seemed to start when you were diagnosed. You had probably had Diabetes a long time before that.

Ken.

Dobbs

hi Alan,
I was diagnosed type 2 last summer and in the past few months I've been getting cold hands also and am as puzzled as you are. In my case it's intermittent (not every day), seems independent of the weather, and is mostly in the mornings. Not a huge problem and it's not painful or anything but I'd rather it wasn't there. As far as I know my general circulation is good. I'm 48, only slightly overweight, and am doing pretty well controlling my levels. However I suffer also with neuropathy in my feet. I sort of thought there might be a connection. My doctor hasn't a clue.

iHs

Hi, it could be the start of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Sometimes the Median nerve gets squashed in the Carpal Tunnel and so you can get cold hands and have problems getting a droplet of blood.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Thanks for that symptom checker cugila. I think I know what my cold hands are down to now. Will see doc and talk about it.

D.

gonzo

Hi

I have a had a similar problem for a long time now. I was diagnosed type 1 about 3 years ago at age 32, and up until then I have never had anything wrong with me my whole life, so when my hands and lower arms started becoming cold and numbish about a year ago, it seemed too much of a coincidence for it not to be diabetese related in some way. The doc sent me for laods of tests to see if it is nerve damage; and other tests to see if the cause is a trapped nerve in the neck, including some physio, none of which revealed a cause or helped in any way. Everyone tells me there's nothing wrong with me and here i am struggeling to type because my fingers are so clumsy. i'm just putting up with it now, which is pretty depressing really

gonz

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi gonzo.
Welcome. Have you looked at the symptom checker I posted here just a few posts back ?

Ken.

gonzo

Yep, i've been looking into it for ages, realising that my doc is less than useful. Its not carpel as that's more in your palm, my case seems to eminate from the two little fingers on each hand, which indicates the ulna nerve. I had an EMG test and the results were fine, so they keep telling me it's a physio issue, so i had an MRI of the neck, results fine, so that didnt help. Then regular physio, and I even let the physio try acupuncture on me, as I will try anything to get rid of it. Basically now i type with two fingers and i often drop things, and have a permanent pins and needles over all my hands. My guitaring sucks. No problems with my feet at all by the way. A whole bunch of consultants haven't been able to help me so I just kind of accept it now. I kind of know it's from the diabetes, as since then everything has gone a little haywire.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi gonzo.

I see you had an MRI of your neck but your symptoms remind me of when I crushed the C6 vertebra in my neck some years ago. It is actually half the thickness it should be now.

Exactly the same type of thing and the same symptoms. I had traction sessions for several weeks and was given a book entitled 'Treat your own neck.' The pins and needles actually radiated down the shoulder, arm and hands from the spinal nerves. So treating the neck cured the pins and needles.

This is the book on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-Neck ... 470&sr=1-1

The exercises in there worked and any time I get the pins and needles in my fingers I just do those same exercises and the symptoms just disappear like magic. I know you have had loads of tests but it might be worth a look. Relatively cheap too.

Ken.

This post is a bit late but have they checked your iron levels? Low iron levels can cause cold hands, shaking, heart palpitations and other strange symptoms. It usually starts with having cold hands or feeling cold all the time when others are fine. The lower your iron reserves go the worse the symptoms get, shaky, weak, dizziness etc... You symptoms can also be worse at certain times of the month if you happen to be female. You know what I'm talking about. LOL! But there are several different types of problems that cause low iron. It can't hurt to ask your doctor to check. It a simple blood test.

Hope you're feeling better.

Smiles, O'BloomingThistle

alf15

Hmm, its funny you should say that...because my cold hands only happen to be cold every once ina while. And i do get dizzy spell from time to time. Think ill have to go to the doctor and see.

My hands havent been cold for a few weeks now.

Thanks

Alan

rkeane

Hi I know it's a bit of a late reply but had very similar problem last year when I initially diagnosed. Am 27 now. Was very annoying coz I was going around all day with cups of tea in my hand, grabbing any radiator i could find, and even resorted to slapping my own hands!! Anyway, decided after shock of becoming a type one, to get myself healthy again. took up brisk walking and running 3 to 4 days a week. Am now really fit and haven't had cold hands in ages (except when I get an odd hypo) but that's just my body. I really think it's to do with blood circulation. I'm now the total opposite. Hate the heat, never have the heating on and you'll never catch me near a radiator!! I know we're all different but maybe get exercising and see wht happens. And I can't tell you the effects it has on my moods. I've honestly never been healthier, felt better and happier. I consider my diabetes a blessing. Every cloud....

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm always cold. I do an exercise class in the swimming pool twice a week and it takes me an age to get into the water. The sports centre says the water's at 29 degrees, but it feels like ice to me. after a 45 minute workout, I'm shivering.I also have a cold allergy and the water triggers it, so I come out shivering, covered in nettle rash and itching like crazy( if I forget to take antihistamine) i'm usually in a sweater whist everyone else is in tee-shirts.
I think it's one reason I have so much trouble losing weight. I can't mobilise my fat. I don't put it down to diabetes though. I'm just always cold.

DiaBetty

rkeane said:
Hi I know it's a bit of a late reply but had very similar problem last year when I initially diagnosed. Am 27 now. Was very annoying coz I was going around all day with cups of tea in my hand, grabbing any radiator i could find, and even resorted to slapping my own hands!! Anyway, decided after shock of becoming a type one, to get myself healthy again. took up brisk walking and running 3 to 4 days a week. Am now really fit and haven't had cold hands in ages (except when I get an odd hypo) but that's just my body. I really think it's to do with blood circulation. I'm now the total opposite. Hate the heat, never have the heating on and you'll never catch me near a radiator!! I know we're all different but maybe get exercising and see wht happens. And I can't tell you the effects it has on my moods. I've honestly never been healthier, felt better and happier. I consider my diabetes a blessing. Every cloud....

I would just like to ask, why have you got my username in your signature???!!!!! :shock: :shock: